Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters

vodkafan

Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters

as with most of my reviews I will keep it general not to give any plot points away.

I already reviewed the TV adaption on my member thread, and the book is generally similar but not quite; I admit that the simplified plot of the film version makes for a more coherent story and nice dramatic ending.

However, the book scores in the rounding out of Nancy's character and the explanations of her inner feelings. These were the parts I liked best, it was impossible not to empathise with Nancy in her quest to be loved.

The book also highlights the fragile position of women (in general) and of "toms" (in particular) in Victorian times, and the inner conflict of women like Kitty who wanted their love lives to be hidden.

Some parts of the plot seemed "clunky" and a bit ludicrous, I will let the future reader decide on these bits for themselves.

Some bits I found surprising: the emphasis on the thrill that "toms" enjoyed dressing in men's clothes and being able to step out as men, then I remembered it was a very rigid society, so this made sense.

The sexy parts of the book (there are many) I found curiously unmoving, probably because I am not a gay female...or just getting old.

I am glad that I watched the TV adaption first, because I was able to read with the voices of the characters in my head, which made me read slower than normal.

Trying to get my wife to watch the DVD now.

A very good absorbing book, and at 497 pages almost a doorstep challenge!:)

I watched the TV adaptation of this story and although it was quite well done, it didn't impress me enough to make me want to read the book. Maybe because it was fictional I wasn't very moved by their plight and like you vodkafan don't find lesbian sex appealing.

A couple I felt far more sympathy for were Vita Sackville West and Viola Trefusis in the movie 'Portait of a Marriage'. Perhaps because they were real, I found their relationship and the dynamics of their marriages quite fascinating and have gone on to read quite a few books about Vita's life.