National Treasures

Coffin Nail

Who do you regard as a national treasure?

Who are the best and brightest man and woman that your country has produced?

I'll kick it off with David Attenborough, 84 still working, he was at the South Pole last week, still passionate about his work and television and he has taught and entertained me more than anyone I can think of.

And Judy Dench. She reminds me of my Mum and I hope I'm half as cool when I'm her age.

I think I like her best not only because of her talent, but she comes across as fun and not too full of herself and she's ageing in a really dignified way.

Tag. You're it.

I agree with both of those can I add in Stephen Fry someone really interesting and intelligent very British and is all these things in a non patronising humourous way.

He's my second choice. Can't remember who it was but someone said they'd been talking to him recently and said it was like hanging out with Google.:irked:

Yup - Stephen Fry would be my first choice. I also agree with the others and wouldlike to add Helen Mirren - she is awesome on every level. An intelligent, mature woman who still looks fantastic and represents the very best of British talent. :irked:

For women I would actually say Kate Winslet. She's a fantastic actress and she always portrays her roles so well. She's never done anything crass or cheesy (as far as I know) and I've loved her ever since I saw Kenneth Brannagh's Hamlet, where she played the best Ophelia I have ever seen! She does have a habit of getting half naked though :)... a lot.

I'd also like to lay claim to Germain Greer, but as far as I know she is Australian. D:

Sir Terry Wogan would definitely be on my list - not only has be been the best British chat show host, he was the backbone of the Eurovision Song Contest for many, many years. His acerbis wit made it well worth watching every year till he decided to bow out after the 2008 Eurodebacle Contest.

Stephen Fry and Alan Bennett (though they hate the term).

Both Victoria Wood and Julie Walters.

Judi Dench, David Jason and Delia Smith.

Even though we don't hear much from her anymore I must add Kate Bush .. the epitome of creativity, integrity and eccentricity. Who else would use Lenny Henry and Rolf Harris as back-up singers/musicians?. Having said that Rolf is a bit of a national treasure too.

I don't know if he considers himself British but I'm going to steal him anyway and say Richard E. Grant. And if he's not our national treasure (when written like that I can see why some people don't like the term) then he's at least someone I'd like to have a drink with. Of lemonade of course.

Sir Ian McKellen.

Oh, definitely!

Michael Palin?

Can I add to that the entire Monty Python team? (Although one is actually American, I'm sure we could make him an honorary Brit and call him a National Treasure too!)

For America, I have to nominate Jon Stewart. Not only has he revolutionized political satire, he has forced both politicians and news anchors to face their own hypocrisy. People in politics are terrified of him now. I think he's one of the greatest political and social commentators in the last century.

I agree with Stephen Fry (and second the need for him to be knighted!!) Julie Walters

and Sir Ian McKellen.

I also love Sue Johnston. I thought she was fantastic in A Passionate Woman on BBC recently.

How come no one has said Stephen Hawking? He's not just a national treasure for England, I'd say he's a world treasure.

How come no one has said Stephen Hawking? He's not just a national treasure for England, I'd say he's a world treasure.

You are right with that one Echo ~ he should have been mentioned already. Not only for his brains and extraordinary thinking, but his totally unexplained longevity.