The Malazan Book of The Fallen by Steven Erikson

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/2g0whr/hello_reddit_i_am_novelist_steven_erikson_please/cker229

It's interesting you point out the prevalence of duos in the novels, and yes, I do think that came in part from the one-to-one gaming Cam and I did: all those dialogues invoke the tone and atmosphere of our games, so to return to such pairings was for me an act of nostalgia, I suppose.

That said, writing workshop instructors might well look grave and slowly shake their heads, since it's always more dramatic to have three characters rather than two. But I would counter, if the setting becomes a character, then two is actually three, so pi-ss off.

:lol:

• 1 year later...

Yeah, the one thing you definitely need with this series is time to give it your full attention and immerse yourself in it.  I was fortunate the first time I read it because I was working part time and from home, so I lost myself in it completely.

• 3 weeks later...