The Malazan Book of The Fallen by Steven Erikson

I've read the first part only and I'm still not sure if I'll continue reading. It was really interesting and I've read it in one breath. However his mythology seems rather chaotic. The hierarchy and the power of his mythology creatures is so confusing. In one moment he describes a creature so powerful and terifying that will lead the world to an end and on the next chapter a new  creature arrives and slains the first one with one hit only. WTF? He's obviously focusing on his characters and the complex game of influence and completely skrewing up the "magic" part. I feel a little disapointed but I'll probably give it a try again in an year or so.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like Marmite, I suppose.  Some people struggle with it, some people love it.  Or, as a friend of mine put it, it's a bit much if all you're used to is 'Rand al'Thor walked through the forest...' :lol:

I hope you will go back to it - you've barely scratched the surface so far.  The first book is small scale compared to what follows  ;)

Welcome to the forums :smile:

Heh, actually i couldn't finish The wheel of time either. I stopped on part 8 when i lost my interest. Today I came across an article on the Wiki mentioning Sanderson's First Law. The "Hard Magic" is definitely my favourite and probably that is what I missed in The Lord of the rings or Harry Potter. Perhaps the only exception is The cronicles of Amber.

First Law is Joe Abercrombie ;)

I didn't mean the book :). Here is a quote from wiki. You may read his essay at brandonsanderson dot com:

Sanderson's First Law is the first law developed by Sanderson for use in designing settings for genre writers. While originally created as a rule for magic systems in fantasy novels, Sanderson has specified that this law need not apply just to fantasy, but is applicable to science fiction as well.[24]

Sanderson's First Law: An author's ability to solve conflict satisfactorily with magic is directly proportional to how well the reader understands said magic. This Law was originally defined in Sanderson's essay, "Sanderson's First Law" located on his website.[24] In the essay he qualifies the two extremes1 of design as being:

1. Magic/technology has well defined rules that the audience understands. As a result, one can use this to solve conflict more easily as the capabilities are cleanly defined. Sanderson classifies this as "Hard Magic". C.L. Wilson in her essay "Worldbuilding 101 - Making Magic"[25] advocated this method of creation, stating, "...create your rules, then follow them."

2. Magic/technology has unclear or vague rules, or none at all. This allows for a greater sense of wonder to be attained for the reader, but the ability to solve problems without resorting to deus ex machina decreases. Sanderson classifies this as "Soft Magic". Lawrence Watt-Evans specifically advised "The trick is to be a benevolent and consistent deity, not one who pulls miracles out of a hat as needed"

Ah okay.  I'm not a Sanderson fan, I'm afraid.  His magic systems take over and the stories and characters become boring and predictable.  Think he's vastly overrated.  I've read four of his books and doubt I will ever read another.

Haven't read any of his books yet, but I plan on finishing the Wheel of time where he wrote the last 3 parts. I'm a huge fan of magic but I always need to know how it works and why. This is what I'm missing in part 1 of The Malazan Book. Soft magic as he calls it almost always lead to contradictions and when the character starts flying in part 10 you always ask yourself why the hell didn't he fly in previous 9 parts :). For me even predictable characters is better than that.

• 3 weeks later...

Those are beautiful pictures, however the price is steep so I fully understand you won't be buying it, I wouldn't do so either.

That, plus I'd need a bigger house, cos obviously I'd have to buy the whole set :giggle2:

• 2 months later...

The Devil Delivered and Other Tales - a collection of three of SE's non-Malazan stories - is being published on 26th September 2013. 

The Devil Delivered: In the breakaway Lakota Nation, in the heart of a land blistered beneath an ozone hole the size of the Great Plains of North America, a lone anthropologist wanders the deadlands, recording observations that threaten to bring the world's powers to their knees.

Revolvo: In the fictitious country of Canada, the arts scene is ruled by technocrats who thrive in a secret, nepotistic society of granting agencies, bursaries, and peer review boards, all designed to permit self-proclaimed artists to survive without an audience.

Fishing with Grandma Matchie: A children's story of a boy tasked with a writing assignment becomes a stunning fantastical journey with his tale-spinning grandmother.

I already own Revolvo, so not sure whether I'll buy it or not.  Oh who am I kidding?  :giggle2:   Shall probably wait for the paperback, though.

Here's something I was thinking about the other day: you know how part of Gardens of the Moon was originally written as a screenplay? Well, how many arms and legs would you give to see Malazan Book of the Fallen turned into a TV series like Game of Thrones? :D

Crikey, I don't know.  Given the way Game of Thrones has brushed over practically all of the big battles I'm not sure any tv company would give Malazan the kind of money needed to put the various Convergences on screen.  They have this huge, cinematic, epic quality to them that would be lost on a tv budget, I think :unsure:

Maybe it would be a start to make a movie out of Midnight Tides.  I'd love to see that particular part of the Sengar brothers' tale on screen, with the chase across the ice wastes and such.  So exciting!  And Tehol and Bugg for comic relief, of course, and the other Beddict brothers plotlines too  :D

I also kind of liked the idea SE was mooting of taking the Chain of Dogs storyline out of Deadhouse Gates and making a movie out of that, but I'm not sure it would work out of context.  With Midnight Tides they could actually make a fairly self-contained movie <<ponders>>

Okay, how about a ten-hour film with an unlimited budget (per book)? I'd watch it!  :giggle2:

I like that idea of the Chain of Dogs storyline as a film - it would definitely work, as it could be focused on just as the journey rather than as part of the bigger picture. Not sure why, but I always picture Coltaine as Brendan Gleeson, Quick Ben as that guy with the whip from Spartacus, and Kalam as the massive werewolf from Underworld. I can picture the imdb page for this film already . . .  ;)

I'd love to see the Sengar brothers storyline, mainly because I think it would convince people to read Midnight Tides (and also because I'd love to see the ice wastes and the Jheck :D). I wonder whether the Bonehunters would work as a self-contained plot? Or maybe pick a single character and make a film about his journey through the series? (Crokus? Paran? Udinaas? Rhulad? Karsa?)

Obviously this would never happen, but it's fun to speculate. :D

Okay, how about a ten-hour film with an unlimited budget (per book)? I'd watch it!  :giggle2:

That'd work! :D   Especially if we get the 15 hour extended edition each time on blu-ray :yes:  Or, if they get Peter Jackson to direct it, it'll have to 20 hours because of all the sloooooow mooooootion :giggle2:

I like that idea of the Chain of Dogs storyline as a film - it would definitely work, as it could be focused on just as the journey rather than as part of the bigger picture. Not sure why, but I always picture Coltaine as Brendan Gleeson, Quick Ben as that guy with the whip from Spartacus, and Kalam as the massive werewolf from Underworld. I can picture the imdb page for this film already . . .  ;)

Now see I totally get where you're coming from there.  Kalam as werewolf :yes:  Actually, I always had Ving Rhames, when he was younger, in mind with Kalam, although bulked up a bit.  Brendan Gleeson's brilliant, although I thought Coltaine was a bit younger?  And yeah, I know the guy you mean from Spartacus.  I had Richard Brooks in mind for Quick Ben, but Spartacus-guy would be a great fit :D

Jason Momoa for Karsa?  He's played Conan, so he's only one step away really.  Just so long as they don't get The Rock or Vin Diesel  :giggle2:

I'd love to see the Sengar brothers storyline, mainly because I think it would convince people to read Midnight Tides (and also because I'd love to see the ice wastes and the Jheck :D). I wonder whether the Bonehunters would work as a self-contained plot? Or maybe pick a single character and make a film about his journey through the series? (Crokus? Paran? Udinaas? Rhulad? Karsa?)

Yes, yes!  The Jheck!  :yes:  The whole Sengar saga would be brilliant, exciting, tragic, scary :yes:  I'd love to see Karsa's story (obviously!) although we could wait until SE writes the Toblakai trilogy before doing that.  So they should film Midnight Tides immediately.  Someone should suggest it to him :yes::D

That'd work! :D   Especially if we get the 15 hour extended edition each time on blu-ray :yes:  Or, if they get Peter Jackson to direct it, it'll have to 20 hours because of all the sloooooow mooooootion :giggle2:

Oooh, extended versions :D. There are some bits I always picture in slow motion anyway - Sinn walking out of the fire, Whiskeyjack vs. Kallor, Karsa running people down on his horse . . . :D

Now see I totally get where you're coming from there.  Kalam as werewolf :yes:  Actually, I always had Ving Rhames, when he was younger, in mind with Kalam, although bulked up a bit.  Brendan Gleeson's brilliant, although I thought Coltaine was a bit younger?  And yeah, I know the guy you mean from Spartacus.  I had Richard Brooks in mind for Quick Ben, but Spartacus-guy would be a great fit :D

Jason Momoa for Karsa?  He's played Conan, so he's only one step away really.  Just so long as they don't get The Rock or Vin Diesel  :giggle2:

I think Coltaine is younger, and I don't know why I picture Gleeson - maybe just because he'd look badass with a black feathered cape (who wouldn't?). Richard Brooks would make a pretty epic Quick Ben - Spartacus guy is probably a bit too military. I've already asked Jason Momoa, he's said he'll either do Karsa or put some fake teeth in and be Icarium.  :giggle2:  I reckon we'd have someone like Ron Perlman as Mappo, and Michael Rooker as Kallor. :D The Rock and Vin Diesel aren't coming anywhere near it . . .

Yes, yes!  The Jheck!  :yes:  The whole Sengar saga would be brilliant, exciting, tragic, scary :yes:  I'd love to see Karsa's story (obviously!) although we could wait until SE writes the Toblakai trilogy before doing that.  So they should film Midnight Tides immediately.  Someone should suggest it to him :yes::D

I'll ring him now. :P  The Toblakai trilogy . . . I wonder which bits that's going to cover?

Oooh, extended versions :D. There are some bits I always picture in slow motion anyway - Sinn walking out of the fire, Whiskeyjack vs. Kallor, Karsa running people down on his horse . . . :D

:lol:  And every time Rake veers :cool::yes:

I think Coltaine is younger, and I don't know why I picture Gleeson - maybe just because he'd look badass with a black feathered cape (who wouldn't?). Richard Brooks would make a pretty epic Quick Ben - Spartacus guy is probably a bit too military. I've already asked Jason Momoa, he's said he'll either do Karsa or put some fake teeth in and be Icarium.  :giggle2:  I reckon we'd have someone like Ron Perlman as Mappo, and Michael Rooker as Kallor. :D The Rock and Vin Diesel aren't coming anywhere near it . . .

Coltaine's a tricky one.  When I was reading it I had Rodney A. Grant in mind, but he's too old now.  Ron Perlman as Mappo :yes:  Although Icarium's supposed to be bigger than him, isn't he? :unsure:  Who's bigger than Ron Perlman?? :lol:

I'll ring him now. :P  The Toblakai trilogy . . . I wonder which bits that's going to cover?

Well he's done Karsa's origin, so I'm kind of hoping it'll be set after the main sequence :shrug:

Well he's done Karsa's origin, so I'm kind of hoping it'll be set after the main sequence :shrug:

When was the last time we saw Karsa in the main sequence? The last thing I remember of him was the fight with the hounds and the appearance of his daughter (?)