The Malazan Book of The Fallen by Steven Erikson

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just started this book and it is confusing to say the least. Should I know who all these people are? Should I start with his other books?

As long as everyone else is confused I will keep at it!! :readingtwo:

No confusion here - it requires care and concentration, though, for sure :smile:

No, you shouldn't know all of them. As mentioned in earlier in the thread, he doesn't do your generic, easy to read fantasy. There are some characters that appeared in the main series, but the likes of Arathan, Osserc, Korya, Haut etc are all new. Obviously, it's impossible for me to say if starting with the original books would make a difference (although I would say anyone interested should start with them, regardless), but nothing has really leapt out at me as requiring knowledge of the other books yet, although there have been a couple of moments that have resonated. Whichever you start with, though, you won't be spoon-fed. It may take a bit of effort at first but, if the main series is anything to go by, the pay-off is more than worth it in the end.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sort of a newbie to the series. Started reading it last year since I by chance stumbled upon GotM in a local book fair. I remember not really liking the book at the beginning, it was rather scary. And not scary in the means of the bloody slaughter and body parts in Itko Kan, but how vast it was. Most of the books I read either had a large world or a number of iconic characters... but in MBotF everything is so huge, from the continents (and parallel worlds) to a number of new characters (how Erikson manages to keeps them all so unique is beyond me) and of course so many exotic races and magic. It frightened me at the beginning, but halfway through I grew to like it.

And then I read Deadhouse Gates... I think that's the most I cried in my 17 years. There was not a happy moment in that book, honestly! Of course it found its place among my favorite books instantly. Ah, Coltaine, you heartbreaking 'person of dubious parentage'.

After that it only got better, Memories of Ice once again made me sob like a kindergartner. House of Chains brought the Toblakai, an interesting race, but I hated Karsa with a passion. Bairoth I loved. Although the ending was anticlimactic and a bit of letdown. Quickly forgiven since I just finished Midnight Tides. Oh the Tehol and Bugg, Shurq and Ubalala awesomeness!

I'm pausing for now, I don't want to finish the series too fast and I have to catch up with ASoIaF. But this is definitely my second favorite fantasy series (first being LOTR).

I'm sort of a newbie to the series. Started reading it last year since I by chance stumbled upon GotM in a local book fair. I remember not really liking the book at the beginning, it was rather scary. And not scary in the means of the bloody slaughter and body parts in Itko Kan, but how vast it was. Most of the books I read either had a large world or a number of iconic characters... but in MBotF everything is so huge, from the continents (and parallel worlds) to a number of new characters (how Erikson manages to keeps them all so unique is beyond me) and of course so many exotic races and magic. It frightened me at the beginning, but halfway through I grew to like it.

There does seem to be a hump at the start that a lot of people can't get past, yeah. I loved it right from the first page, loved the sense of place and the history of the world. I have to pick the book up from time to time and read the first few pages again, I just love the start so much :D

And then I read Deadhouse Gates... I think that's the most I cried in my 17 years. There was not a happy moment in that book, honestly! Of course it found its place among my favorite books instantly. Ah, Coltaine, you heartbreaking 'person of dubious parentage'.

One of my all-time favourite books and, yes, heartbreaking. The epilogue gives me chills just thinking about it. And then there's so much to be discovered in it once you've read the rest of the series. The foreshadowing in it is amazing. And there's some of my favourite characters: Mappo, Icarium, Duiker, Nil, Nether, Iskaral Pust, Fiddler, Kallam, Crokus, Apsalar, Karsa's first appearance. Marvellous!

After that it only got better, Memories of Ice once again made me sob like a kindergartner. House of Chains brought the Toblakai, an interesting race, but I hated Karsa with a passion. Bairoth I loved. Although the ending was anticlimactic and a bit of letdown. Quickly forgiven since I just finished Midnight Tides. Oh the Tehol and Bugg, Shurq and Ubalala awesomeness!

I've been thinking about Midnight Tides quite a lot, recently. The Sengar brothers' story is one of my favourites in the whole series, and their trip across the ice is thrilling and scary and tragic all wrapped up in some of SE's best writing. Awesome!

And yeah, Karsa's pretty horrific in House of Chains. That opening 300 pages is just an onslaught - brilliant writing.

I'm pausing for now, I don't want to finish the series too fast and I have to catch up with ASoIaF. But this is definitely my second favorite fantasy series (first being LOTR).

Yes, savour it! Next one up, The Bonehunters, is my all-time favourite book (to date).

Are you going to be reading the Esslemont novels as well? Because Night of Knives fits into the sequence before The Bonehunters :smile:

I think Rhulad is one of the most tragic characters in the books. Well, so far at least. I can't bring myself to dislike him if all he needs is a hug. D:

Yes, I know about NoK, but I decided to first read the main series and then those extras and whatever else fits in the Malazan universe.

I've been thinking a lot about which characters are my favorites, but there's so many of them! I like Rake and Quick Ben a lot from the male cast and Lostara (that combo with Pearl is priceless) from the females. But after Midnight Tides Shurq, Tehol and Bugg won me over.

Edited by Nocturnal

I decided to first read the main series and then those extras and whatever else fits in the Malazan universe.

Fair enough. Esslemont's writing is nowhere near as good as SE's anyway, although there is at least one major plotline from SE's books that is completed in RotCG.

I've been thinking a lot about which characters are my favorites, but there's so many of them! I like Rake and Quick Ben a lot from the male cast and Lostara (that combo with Pearl is priceless) from the females. But after Midnight Tides Shurq, Tehol and Bugg won me over.

Oh yes, all of those are great characters. Rake is pure awesomeness. I've got too many favourites to mention, really. Kalam is pretty special. And Quick Ben, Karsa, Trull, Mappo, Icarium etc etc. Of the female characters, Apsalar is a stand-out for me, and Korlat, Scillara, Shurq, Lostara, Hellian, Hettan. Too many!

Do you go on the Malazan Empire forums at all?

Why yes I do, I'm Nocturnal on there too. :)

I'm Serenity on there :smile:

They sure know their stuff - some of the things they pick apart within the novels is amazing.

After trying to remember all the characters I liked, I started thinking about the different races, and as soon as I got to the T'Lan Imass I remembered Tool (and his sister, Kilava) and Onrack the Broken . . .

*sigh* Really want to do another re-read :smile:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems like it was pretty normal that I didn't understand the first book (Gardens of the Moon) all that well when I read it as a teenager. Based upon reading this topic, I may have to give it another go sometime! I do like the sound of it all, a unique world etc. I own the first book so I may reread it when I feel up for something complicated. I don't know if I'll understand it better this time around (at the moment I don't remember a lot from the first read to be honest) but I think it's worth a try.

It's hard for me to comment on that - as mentioned somewhere upthread, I never had any problems with it. I loved it from the first page, finished it, went straight out and bought the next two and never looked back :D You could always try re-starting with the second book. From Deadhouse Gates through to The Bonehunters I found the series phenomenal, better than any other fantasy books I've read - and they get even better on re-read. Now every other fantasy author I read pales in comparison. And they inspired me to start writing again, which I hadn't done in years. That's another reason for me to do another re-read soon, I think :smile:

Will I be able to understand the second book without reading the first? It's certainly a thought, I could put it on my wishlist (the covers they sell these days don't match the one I bought, but that's ok).

Again, that's difficult for me to answer as I didn't do it that way myself, but I know a lot of people on the Malazan forums came by the series through Deadhouse Gates or Memories of Ice, and even Midnight Tides.

To try and clarify, there are three separate main storylines, each set on a different continent:

The Genabackis storylines are covered in books 1 and 3 (Gardens and Memories of Ice)

The Seven Cities storylines are covered in books 2 and 4 (Deadhouse Gates and House of Chains)

The Letherii storylines begin in book 5 Midnight Tides, which actually takes place chronologically before Gardens.

Then, from book six (The Bonehunters) onwards, he starts to bring the various plots together.

So you could start with Deadhouse Gates, I think. Even though a handful of characters carry over from the first book, the actual storyline is new. But if you wanted to go back to Gardens it is worth it, imo. I can always try and answer any questions you might have :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 1 month later...

Steven Erikson interview

His "Not that I’m aware of" response to the "Are there particular fan sites or message boards that are best for reading analysis of your work?" question has caused some upset over on Malazan Empire :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

$2,500 . . .  Holy moly! :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gardens-of-the-Moon-Lettered-Steven-Erikson-Subterranean-Press-Signed-Subpress-/111005897545?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item19d8779349

Shame bidding has ended, I was just about to get my credit card out . . . not! :giggle2:

• 2 months later...