Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel's Legacy series

Univerze

So, think this might be the first thread I've started since I have joined this forum. I've looked and looked but couldn't find a thread on this writer, let alone this series. Can you imagine how shocked I was, this being one of my favourite series ever. I am currently re-reading the first book of this series, for the fourth (or something) time.

To see if you guys know this, if not, to enlighten you further.. :lol:

Mind you, I have never written a review(-ish anything), here or elsewhere, apart from the horrible ones we had to do for language in highschool. So be patient with me.

Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushiel's Avatar.

6a0109d0fa56da000f0109d0fc0a18000f-500pi

This is a series of novels that play in a sort of alternate history medieval Europe.

The main character, Phedre, is born in the country of Terre D'Ange, which would in our world, mean France. However, alternate history lines.. so.. from the blood on Jesus (Yeshua Ben Yosef) on the cross, and the tears of Mary Magdalene, from the womb of Mother Earth, is born the sacred Elua, worshipped in all of Terre D'Ange.

Elua was rejected as true offspring by the one god, but instead he realmed the Earth, joined by eight of god's own angels.. one of these being the angel Naamah, who lay with strangers to free Elua from captivity, and to feed him and the company of angels who joined him. They settled in Terre D'Ange, however after the true one god saw that they'd spread their progeny across the Earth, he let them go to the true Terre D'Ange, the one that lies beyond this life, and where all men go after death.

Elua, Naamah and all the other angels have since become sort of gods, worshipped and honored in all of Terre D'Ange, each angel having his or her own province in which his or her own blood runs thickest, since these angels have bred amongst humans.

Most of all, there is the service of Naamah, a service that reighns in the Court of the Nightblooming Flowers. Thirteen houses situated in the city of Elua, each having his own creed, but the main being, "Love as Thou Wilt".. Elua's creed. Thirteen houses of courtisanes, worshipping their gods through the act of love.. physical love.

The protagonist in this series is Phedre, a girl being born from an unwanted union between her mother, adept in Jasmine House, and her father, a merchant. They sell her to the main House, Cereus House, at age four, to be able to be together and make a life for themselves.

Phedre, however, is not a normal girl. She's the first anguissette to be born in centuries.. a girl who enjoys pain as pleasure.. literally. The angel Kushiel, of punishment, brandished her with his mark.. a bloodred mote in her left eye, a bright red spot in the brown of her iris..

Phedre is adopted in the household of Anafiel Delauney, a man that is more than he appears, and he turns her into a spy.. to play the game of courts and more.

Well, so far for the synopsis or whatever. I could go on for a while.

These series are amazing. It's.. like no other books I have ever read. the alternate history is fascinating, these people not only believe in their gods, they accept that they are part of daily life, and in these books, they are.

To read this was heart-wrenching, intoxicating and stunning. The books are beautifully written, language and the pictures they paint alike. It is hard to describe this in a language not quite my own..

These books are great for anyone who likes reading medieval-ish books, books about intrigues, court life, and of course, the life of a courtisane. However, these books might be about a courtisane, don't let it fool you into thinking they're overrun by sex scenes. They're not. The sex scenes are there, but they're very much part of the plot, nothing overtly done, and mostly, they're brief.

Though they are something most people wouldn't consider even remotely attractive (pain playing a great part in them, as does humiliation and begging), since these days, it would be considered BDSM. If you're not too abhorred by this (since it's Phedre's nature) then I'd very much consider reading these books.

After this, there's the Imriel series, same author, different protagonist, one that plays a minor part in the two latter Kushiel's legacy series. They're amazing too, and I love Imriel more than I love Phedre, but since you have to read the first books first.. :D

So yeah, umm. Anyoe know/love these books? :D

I tried to read the first book after hearing lots of recommendations, but really couldn't get into the story at all. I've kept the book though, so perhaps I'll try again at some point.