The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

Readwine

• 3 years later...

I was browsing a Nordic online bookshop when I discovered this special section of different Finnish publishers, and as I have been wondering about them for a while, wanting to know which Finnish publishing house is the one that always seems to come up with quirky, very intriguing books, I took a look at that section. Somehow that led me to the website of Bazar publishers and there they were promoting The Postmistress. It sounded great so I had to add that to my wishlist, and I just did a search to see if anyone else has read the book on here and that's how I ended up over here :)

I'm happy to see Readwine enjoyed the book! Anyone else who's read this?

I read it a couple of years ago - here's my review from the time:

I've just finished The Postmistress by Sarah Blake, and I was truly surprised by how much I liked it, proving you can't always judge a book by its cover!

Set during the second world war, it follows the stories of three American women and how their lives are affected by the war and how their lives become intertwined.

It was really refreshing to read a WW2 book from not only an American point of view, but also from a female perspective. The author had a lovely gentle style of writing that made the book easy to read, but caught you up in the places and engaged you with the characters. I think I'd been expecting something more earnest or romantic, but it was actually just a great tale, with some good old-fashioned story telling. It was unsentimental about the subject, but still emotionally connecting with the characters. I really enjoyed it.