The Princess of Burundi by Kjell Eriksson

Blurb from School Library Journal:

An ordinary crime novel is made extraordinary through Eriksson's exquisite character descriptions and circuitous plot. Former small-time crook Little John Jonsson is found brutally murdered, with clear evidence of torture. The Uppsala police force investigates and eventually identifies the killer. The author skillfully constructs the personality of each character, revealing, for example, the weaknesses inherent in policeman Ola Haver and Ann Liddell versus the hidden strengths of the victim's brother, Lennart Jonsson, and son, Justus. Haver leads the investigation while managing a strained relationship with his wife and an attraction to his former boss, Liddell. Lennart Jonsson's guilt and grief over his brother's death eventually destroys him, but not before he exacts his revenge (albeit unrecognized) and becomes a hero. Justus had a secret pact with his father that may have saved Little John's life had he shared it with his mother or the police. The likely suspect is a demented, pathetic person who knew his victim as one of his tormentors in school a period that haunts him in his adult life. The entangled relationships among the police, the victim, and the victim's family are compelling.

I do not agree that this novel is in anyway “extraordinary” or “compelling” as the blurb states. It is simply “okay.” Perhaps this was due to the fact that I was not aware that this is Eriksson’s second novel in the Ann Liddell series, but the first to be translated into English. I was left with the sense that Eriksson’s characters were incomplete and slightly watery.

The novel does present a dark and cold life in Uppsala and Eriksson crafts a good sociopsychological portrait all around. The murder mystery itself was bland. No more to say really.

I give it a 3/10

Edited by Readwine