Janet Evanovich

faithinthecharm

• 4 months later...

I've read them all!

I love Stephanie Plum and I love laughing out loud! Remember when the gangsters try to kidnap Bob the dog? He'd just eaten something gross and was puking all over the car .... I fell over laughing at the story.

The characters are great; from grandma packing a .45 to Joe Morelli the cop to ...oh my .... Ranger.....

I've listened to the first in the Stephanie Plum series 'One For The Money' which I loved. I think I gave it 9/10. Very funny :exc:

I immediately got hold of the next 2 in the series from the library, downloaded them to my laptop and they are ready and waiting on my slowly growing 'to be listened to' list :lol:

Carole

:lol:

• 2 months later...

I have devoured all the Steph Plum books (including Visions of Sugar Plums and Plum Lovin' at the start of this year). The numbers books are my favourite, and Lean Mean Thirteen is coming very soon now!

The between the numbers novels (Visions and Lovin') are a bit weird - with magic and fantasy aspects to them, and I wasn't keen.

I also read the 2 Barney books - Metro Girl and Motor Mouth - and while I enjoyed them and would read more, Barney is a little too like Stephanie Plum, and the chap whose name escapes me is a little too like Morelli. (Even the dogs seem the same - Bob and Beans!).

Grandma Mazur is the best!

Yep, I read Plum Lovin' and the other 'tweener. I also read Motor Mouth and Metro Girl but felt they didn't capture the same Stephanie Plum spirit.

Personally I hate the titles for one simple reason: I forget where I'm at in the series. I think I'm waiting for 12 in paperback. I completely gave up on those mysteries A is for Arsenic and B is for Blood (Sue Grafton maybe?) just because I'd stand there with eleventy-some books in front of me and sadly feel befuddled and experience low-level anxiety that I don't know which is what from when.

I've loved Janet Evanovich's books for a few years ago - ever since doing a dissertation on feminist crime fiction and having her name suggested by a lecturer (for which I am very grateful to him). I was hooked from the moment in the first book when Grandma Mazur shot a chicken in the gumpy.

I thought that I had read most of hers, although I still prefer her Stephanie Plum novels, and I was waiting eagerly for number 13. I even have Visions of Sugar Plums, but now I find that I am not as up to date as I thought - I've never heard of Plum Lovin'! Is it worth getting?

And please don't tell my fiance, but I think that I would have a real problem if I had to choose between Ranger and Morelli....

I have read To the Nines -- and it made me laugh out loud at times! I also cannot think about (why would I, you ask)..or see a tin of vaseline in a chemist's shop, without thinking about Punky Balog :D ...or come to think of it, see tight and bright lycra outfits without thinking of Lula! :D

Ranger vs Morelli -- hard to decide, really!

Anyway, I would definately get another book by Janet E... at some time in the not too distant future! I like her sense of humour.... and light hearted style of writing. Easy to read - and enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Lean Mean Thirteen is finally coming out June 19...

Just finished it five minutes ago - it somehow got bumped to the top of my TBR pile and I zoomed through it; such an easy read, such a fun read!

It IS just out, so I bought a hard bound copy -- my arm is killing me from holding that sucker up: and it was a slim volume. Give me a paperback any day!

Just finished it five minutes ago - it somehow got bumped to the top of my TBR pile and I zoomed through it; such an easy read, such a fun read!

Me too!

I had to put on hold the other book that I was reading, as I couldn't wait any longer to read it. I couldn't find it in any of my local shops until Wednesday, and I had to finish it before I went to bed on Thursday.

I loved the

exploding mutant three-eyed squirrel

!

• 1 month later...

I picked up the first one in a Bangkok airport - I think I just bought the only 2 English language titles they had in the news stand! The other one was David Eddings' first in the Sparhawk series. Anyways, I loved it - the Stephanie Plum novels are shamelessly trashy, and I do finish them within hours, but that's beside the point! I like that the details are just weird and quirky enough to stop short of the bog standard chick fiction we see so much of these days.

I've read all the Stephanie Plum books too, in numerical order (sad or what?). Like most posters, I think they're a bit trashy, fun and easy to read. I'm up to number 12, which is going on holiday with me next week. Personally, I'm a big Lula fan .....

I found that, around about the sixth one, they started getting a bit formulaic, and I was going to give them a break (I thought the same about Robert Rankin's "Brentford" novels, and I never did get back to them!). I stuck with Stephanie, though, and found that they started to pick up again.

Having said that, I thought "Eleven On Top" was back in a bit of a rut ... one of the problems of writing a series, I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm reading a Stephanie Plum novel for the first time, it was a $1 ex-library book. She's so funny, a bit trashy...yes, a light read but very enjoyable. Are the numbers in the titles the order they were written? As far as Morelli or Ranger goes, I'm rather taken with Bunchy and Briggs, the dwarf (sorry, little person) in the one I'm reading - High Five. But Rex, the hamster has got to be the star, he's so cute :welcome:

Thanks Roland. I'm enjoying it so much and getting such a giggle out of her that I'm going to try to get another one out of the library, tomorrow. It's good to know that some of the same characters keep appearing in her books, they're already starting to feel like old friends. Gran is a scream :welcome: