New Crime/Thriller Authors

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:52 PM, bookmonkey said:

I'm listening to an Arnaldur Indridasson at the moment.  I like his books.  What other Icelandic authors are there?

I tried replying to this three times yesterday but kept hitting the wrong button and having to start again. I will try again then now.

There are loads of Icelandic authors out there. Icelanders read and write more book per head of capita than any other nation on earth and I have heard it said that as many as 10 percent of the population are published authors in some form or another in their own right.

Some of the books/authors I have read include:

Independent People Halldor Laxness. I strongly recommend this one, written by Iceland's best known and loved author and set in the turn of the 19th Century. It brings into stark focus just how hard life was for rural Icelanders during that era. This one for me is an absolute classic.    

The Greenhouse/Butterflies in November: Audur Ava Olafsdottir

I Remember You: Yrsa Sigurdadottir.  Yrsa who is one of my favourite authors has written a whole raft of books, all of which I have read. This is by far the best one - a seriously creepy Icelandic ghost/horror story set in an abandoned village , which I actually stayed in after reading this book. The film is pretty good too.    

Burial Rites: Hannah Kent

Heaven and Hell: Jon Kalman Stefansson (this is the first of a three part trilogy, each of which I have read) 

Seasons of the Witch - Arni Thorarinsson

Living Inside the Meltdown - Alda Sigmundsdottir (Alda has also written some great non fiction books about life in Iceland)  

The Creator - Gudrun Eva Minervudottir

Place of the Heart - Steinunn Sigurdardottir

Stone Tree: Gyrdir Eliasson

Island on Fire: Alexandra Witze

On a Small Island: Grant Nicol

Not all of these are crime fiction, but they are great books for anyone interested in Iceland. Not all of them are even written by Icelanders (such as Burial Rites), but I have included these anyway as they still give you a flavour of the country).

I also have on my wish list waiting to be bought and read:

The Blue Fox: Sjon

The Last Days of My Mother: Solvi Bjorn Sigurdsson

Frozen Out: Quentin Bates

Bowline: Gudlaughur Arason

And then of course there are the Icelandic sagas. I have read loads of these too and they are all different. Laxdaela Saga is probably my favourite, but everyone will have their own one.    

10 hours ago, Talisman said:

I tried replying to this three times yesterday but kept hitting the wrong button and having to start again. I will try again then now.

There are loads of Icelandic authors out there. Icelanders read and write more book per head of capita than any other nation on earth and I have heard it said that as many as 10 percent of the population are published authors in some form or another in their own right.

Some of the books/authors I have read include:

Independent People Halldor Laxness. I strongly recommend this one, written by Iceland's best known and loved author and set in the turn of the 19th Century. It brings into stark focus just how hard life was for rural Icelanders during that era. This one for me is an absolute classic.    

The Greenhouse/Butterflies in November: Audur Ava Olafsdottir

I Remember You: Yrsa Sigurdadottir.  Yrsa who is one of my favourite authors has written a whole raft of books, all of which I have read. This is by far the best one - a seriously creepy Icelandic ghost/horror story set in an abandoned village , which I actually stayed in after reading this book. The film is pretty good too.    

Burial Rites: Hannah Kent

Heaven and Hell: Jon Kalman Stefansson (this is the first of a three part trilogy, each of which I have read) 

Seasons of the Witch - Arni Thorarinsson

Living Inside the Meltdown - Alda Sigmundsdottir (Alda has also written some great non fiction books about life in Iceland)  

The Creator - Gudrun Eva Minervudottir

Place of the Heart - Steinunn Sigurdardottir

Stone Tree: Gyrdir Eliasson

Island on Fire: Alexandra Witze

On a Small Island: Grant Nicol

Not all of these are crime fiction, but they are great books for anyone interested in Iceland. Not all of them are even written by Icelanders (such as Burial Rites), but I have included these anyway as they still give you a flavour of the country).

I also have on my wish list waiting to be bought and read:

The Blue Fox: Sjon

The Last Days of My Mother: Solvi Bjorn Sigurdsson

Frozen Out: Quentin Bates

Bowline: Gudlaughur Arason

And then of course there are the Icelandic sagas. I have read loads of these too and they are all different. Laxdaela Saga is probably my favourite, but everyone will have their own one.    

Thanks for that Talisman.  I'll definitely be adding those to my list.  Tomorrow's library day, so I'll see which one's my locals got,.

• 3 weeks later...

Scot Mackenzie is an exciting writer of slightly 'off the wall'  detective/thriller novellas on Kindle. The first one The Slit is an especially brutal working class drugs and sex tale. Set in and around Manchester, England. Controversial but interesting.Worth checking out. 

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I spent January working my way through the D.I. Kim Stone series by Angela Marsons. They were amazing and I couldn't wait to get home from work and read more. They gave me my reading mojo back and my reading year got off to a great start due to these books. The tenth one in the series was out last week and I have it sitting here waiting to be read but I'm putting off reading it for a while because I know I'll have a while to wait for book eleven. Out of the  first nine books, five of them were five star reads for me and the others I would have given four stars too. Fantastic series which I would highly recommend.

• 2 months later...

Omg @Paperback Bliss I love Angela Marsons too! She's bloody brilliant.

But OMG my new crime thriller OBSESSION is M.M. Chouinard. Received an ARC of the first Detective Jo Fournier series on NetGalley and it was so so good. Refreshing tbh! Lots of crime nowadays is really samey and predictable. Think this is fonna be a series to watch.