Books that you would throw away before passing on

corina

Out of interest Kell, what were her enlightened views?

She advocates regulated and scheduled feeding times (which plays havoc your supply if you're breastfeeding, which is why anyone worth their salt would tell you to feed on demand because your supply increases and decreases according to your baby's requirements). SHe also has a very regimented view of how a baby's life should be scheduled and that babies should be sleeping right through the night at an absurdly early age (the age 6-10 weks is mentioned!). Unfortunately, nobody is allowed to post anything specific on forums about her because she sues at the drop of a hat and tries to have them taken offline, so I can't actually post what I really think of her and her methods. I will say, though, that she isn't even a parent, so she can't speak from experience. I can, however, say that other experts in childcare (who DO have children!) have said her methods are akin to traning animals. Enough said.

• 2 weeks later...
My mum once burned a copy of Roald Dahl's 'Witches' in the kitchen stove (the old wood burning type) in front of my sister and I, as it had given my sister nightmares. It was pretty extreme and I don't think I'll ever forget it.

No I wouldn't forget it either. :D

Same here, books either go to Charity Shops or passed on to friends or end up in our office book case.

If I were to throw out any books though, it would have been Pig Island by Mo Hayder (I found it particularly unsavoury) and Chris Kuzneski's so- called conspiracy theory one about the Sword of God or something - total pants that was.:D

Same here, books either go to Charity Shops or passed on to friends or end up in our office book case.

If I were to throw out any books though, it would have been Pig Island by Mo Hayder (I found it particularly unsavoury) and Chris Kuzneski's so- called conspiracy theory one about the Sword of God or something - total pants that was.:D

I so agree with the Sword of God it was toal and utter pants..i mean really really terrible never been tempted to read anything by the author again because of it. :D

Just a thought. but if you are giving books to charity or friends are you not throwing those books away?

I think I'd say you're passing them on rather than throwing them away but it's just semantics really.

I don't think I'd ever throw away a fiction book since it's just down to taste but if it was something like Kell's example, giving dangerous advice, I'd probably throw it away.

My mum once burned a copy of Roald Dahl's 'Witches' in the kitchen stove (the old wood burning type) in front of my sister and I, as it had given my sister nightmares. It was pretty extreme and I don't think I'll ever forget it.

That is just wonderful. You go, mum!

Great on so many levels :D

I give away most rubbish books to the second hand shop as well. But now I kind of feel guilty. What if someone is really put off reading because all they have to choose from is everyone's unwanted cast offs?

Admittedly, I am probably overthinking things.

Agree with chucking Gina Ford. Have been in a house where someone was leaving their 6 week old baby to cry itself to sleep and I felt quite sick about it.

The last book I chucked in the bin because I thought it was so bad it didn't deserve to be passed on was "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". I thought this was such a good idea and then was completely let down by the appalling writing.

*Gasp!* book burning still exists? I hope after all the effort your mother put into the book burning your sister's nightmares were cured otherwise that would be a waste of time.

Just a thought. but if you are giving books to charity or friends are you not throwing those books away?

I think I'd say you're passing them on rather than throwing them away but it's just semantics really.

Exactly Steeve. I give books away because I have a problem with storage - no way could I keep them all.

The books that I don't pass on to family and friends I take to a charity shop too. I was given a Jeffrey Archer book once and had to fight the urge to fling it into the nearest bin. The same evening I sneaked down to the High Street, under cover of darkness, and popped it through the RSPCA shop's letterbox

The books that I don't pass on to family and friends I take to a charity shop too. I was given a Jeffrey Archer book once and had to fight the urge to fling it into the nearest bin. The same evening I sneaked down to the High Street, under cover of darkness, and popped it through the RSPCA shop's letterbox

Ophelia that is so funny that you felt you had to do it in the dark! :D:lol::lol:Bless you

I didn't throw it them away just chucked them in the charity bag

Suspicions of Mr Wicher Kate Summerscale . It sounded so good on the back but was like reading an over long essay.

Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood Rebecca Wells. It got lots of rave reviews on Amazon but was so sugary sweet it made me want to vomit.

• 4 weeks later...

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas was vile. I've never wanted to burn a book before. I felt it took advantage of the subject matter, while deliberately avoiding actually dealing with the big questions. The idea that a, what, 11? year-old boy, would think that concentration camp prisoners were people playing in a field made me seethe.

Bang, Bang, You're Dead. This just won the Lancashire Children's Book Award and I was gutted. The children didn't really rate it as best, but they couldn't choose between this and two others, and somehow it won. Not only is it badly-written and nothing to do with the title or cover, but it implies that anyone with bipolar disorder is a crazy and a terrible parent, and anyone with a parent with mental illness will also turn out mentally ill, and dangerous. The plot was naff and a lot of the questions never tied up, I felt it was quite insulting and would never have been published in that state for adults.