Markus Zusak

KW

Since he doesn't have a spot here, I'll start one because I simply ADORE him. ( HAve you seen his picture???heck, the man is gorgeous ) But aside from that -- LOL -- he writes beautifully.

My first book of his was Fighting Reuben Wolfe. A marvelous story about two brothers who live in a depressed part of town. Their dad is out of work and therefore in a constant state of depression. Their sister parties with the wrong kind of guys but has a heart of gold. And then there is Reuben, the oldes brother -- a hottie all the girls love and the guys revere. Telling the story is little brother, Cameron. Quiet, shy and always in Reub's shadow.

The brothers love their folks, and sense the heaviness the lack of adequate funds throws over the entire family. Wanting to do their part, they take up with a stranger that offers them money if they'll fight in his underground, traveling fight club.

Zusak's language is right on. You're there in Australia, on the dark, dirty streets with these brothers. (But there's very little, if any foul language! Get that! ) He manages to create the dismal world they get themselves involved in without it being too crass or R rated, which this reader appreciates.

It isn't long before the fights become what the boys live for -- they're making money, making reputations for themselves. But the story also heads in the ultimate direction: the two brothers will have to fight each other.

The final fight scene where Reuben is pitted against tender-hearted Cam is unforgettable! Have a tissue handy...

The story will linger in your thoughts for days, and I wouldn't be surprised if, after reading it, you decide Fighting Reuben Wolfe is a keeper for your shelf.

• 6 years later...

I have read two of his books.  The Book Thief and The Messengers.  I was wary as in the past I had read novels such as The Book Theif and then found that the author simply either never had that sparkle in his or her work or tried to redo the same formula over and over again.  However with Zusak, I was thrilled, even though The Messengers is YA, it is completelly different in style and genre than The Book Theif yet remains as inspiring and has important messages for older as well as younger adults.

• 1 month later...

I've only read The Book Thief. It was one I kept picking up when I'd go to the bookshop, but then putting back for 'next time'.

Then I finally got it and oh my God, it was fantastic! As soon as I finished it I just restarted it! Can't wait to try some of his other books. Just got to work through this pile of unread books before I buy any more :( (boyfriends rules, I'm not a fan.)

• 2 months later...

I have read two of his books.  The Book Thief and The Messengers.  I was wary as in the past I had read novels such as The Book Theif and then found that the author simply either never had that sparkle in his or her work or tried to redo the same formula over and over again.  However with Zusak, I was thrilled, even though The Messengers is YA, it is completelly different in style and genre than The Book Theif yet remains as inspiring and has important messages for older as well as younger adults.

That's nice to know because I've just finished The Book Thief and have been thinking about going on to read The Messenger (I Am the Messenger). You've helped me decide. 

Edited by Verna

I finished The Book Thief one day when I was home from work and sick. I sat on the couch reading and when I finished, I was crying. I couldn't bear to be finished, so I too reread it again immediately.  I also read the I Am The Messenger book by Zusak. Very nice, too, but without the impact I had from the first one.

• 1 month later...

The Book Thief was fantastic - I loved how it portrayed living in Germany during WWII, and of course the narrative voice (and choice of narrator) was very creative and added a great dimension to the story. It's one of those books I could not put down, and I ended up pulling an all-nighter to finish it. I liked I Am the Messenger as well, though I agree that in comparison it wasn't quite as masterful as The Book Thief. Considering it on its own though, I thought the story was quite inventive, and some scenes ended up resonating with me rather a lot.

I haven't read his Wolfe Brothers series. How does it compare to Book Thief & Messenger?

• 4 weeks later...

I loved The Book Thief, it's my favourite ever book, as soon as I stopped crying I went straight to my mums and made her read it. It has become my book bore as my husband calls it. I recommend everyone to read it its amazing. My grandad was German so this was a new vision of growing up in Germany during the war. What a book, I cant recommend it enough. Bore over........

• 2 weeks later...

It's quite interesting how this thread has so few posts on it, eventhough The Book Thief has been so well received on this forum. Yes, there's another thread for that particular book, but I would think that more people would go on and read Zusak's other books and post about them.

I've only read TBT and Getting the Girl, myself. I enjoyed both of them, although I have to say the former was superb whereas the latter was more like just okay, good.

I have I Am the Messenger on my TBR, though. For quite a few years :blush: I don't really know why I've never gotten to actually reading it :shrug:

(And yes, KW, Zusak is verrrry gorgeous :blush:)

I Am The Messenger is fab frankie and I'm sure you know there is a pooch in there. (Called The Doorman - great name!) :)

Yeah, I know. I think it might have been you who told me about it...? Or is that possible. When did you join the forum? Maybe I should look up my reading log and see who recommended it... But yes, the doggy was a major factor in me acquiring a copy :giggle2:

Great name for a dog. :D  I've never read I Am The Messenger (looks like I may have to change that), but I loved The Book Thief.

Yep, a fabulous name :D In general, I like dog names that end in -man. Like Redman! Redmond would be great, too... And Beauregard!