The Sixth Lamentation by William Brodrick

SueK

This is a deeply complex novel centred around the eventual trial of a Nazi SS officer who, in 1940's Paris, was judged to be responsible for sending thousands of Jewish people off to the camps. The novel threads around different families who were involved in the man in some way or other and has quite a few complicated sub plots.

Overall I enjoyed the book but found at times Mr Brodrick would flower up his sentences to the point that you had to read them more than once to get the jist - which, for me, slowed down the reading and made the storyline judder. The twists and turns are many and mainly the book is based on a number of misunderstandings through the history up to the present (although the present in this case is 1995). It is a debut book and the author has immence knowlege of the judicial system as he was a barrister (and a monk) hence the story mainly taking place in a monastery.

Definitely worth the read though just maybe gloss over one or two on the convuluted sentences in order to get to the story.

8/10.

Sue, I remember reading this book several years ago and really enjoying it. In fact, I recommended it to someone. But alas! it has been too long and my plot memory fails me. Perhaps it is time for a reread. Glad you enjoyed it.