The Man from Beijing by Henning Mankell

I am not sure if I am angrier at myself for finishing this book or at Mankell for deceiving the reader into believing that this book is a murder mystery. I cannot even post a summary of the plot as there really is not one save a concoction of poorly connection stories that try, but fail, to present a plausible story. It is simply unbelievable and impossible. :smile2:

Practically the whole book is Mankell's ecomonic and political treatise of China's modern imperialistic strategy. This should be listed under the political science section and not marketed as a crime novel.

Even his attempt at creating a main character fails miserably as Birgitta Roslin, a Swedish judge, is a terminally tired woman (drink a cup of coffee already) that is dumb as a stump. So maddening because the characters that are suppose to be key to this so called story are all women and all are painted as lazy idiots. :smile2:

Please do not waste your time or money on this one. So disappointed as Mankell's Wallander series is very good.

Okay, end of rant.:D I give it a 0/10 (I have never given a book this mark before)

• 2 weeks later...

He's a funny one this Henning Mankell...I have really enjoyed a number of his books and in particular The Return of the Dancing Master and Before the Frost where we are introduced to Linda Wallander his daughter following in dad's copper shoes! But I have also read some of his later books namely Depths and The Italian Shoes and although they both convey a great feeling of space and loneliness the actual story lines held little interest and I became bored very quickly...I will certainly not be reading The Man from Beijing :friends0: