Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

I'm having a bit of trouble getting into Wicked, so I've read all of 20 pages in about 3 days. But I don't think it's the book so much as my mood. Still, I might pick up another book to read alongside it if my reading continues at this slow pace.

This is exactly how i am going with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I have decided to pick up The Greatest Show On Earth - Richard Dawkins along with it. Non ficton should help me to to mix and confuse 2 stories

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear that. I read her second book, The Bed I Made, a few months ago and loved it. The House at Midnight is on my TBR pile.

Great, nicx27! I'm glad to hear that, and glad I have another book of hers to hunt for after this one :lol:.

Finished The Last Child by John Hart tonight. Fan-tastic. A story of a missing child, a father that has disappeared, a mother that is so torn up as to not be functioning anymore, and the child that stubbornly and courageously bucks all odds to find out what happened to his twin.

John Hart shows the full circle of life generationally in an amazing way.

The Last Child is not who you think.

I finished Lisa Gardner's 'The Neighbour'. Well written and gripping, with that "must read more" factor that a good book should have.

I'm pondering what book to go for next ~ my TBR mountain is a little daunting so I will have to do my blinkered can't-see-just-how-many-there-are choose a book! :lol:

This is exactly how i am going with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Quite a few people report it being a bit slow to start, and gaining pace and grabbing readers as the book progresses.

Currently reading 'The Years' by Virginia Woolf. Got a lot on at present at work etc., and struggling to find time, which is thoroughly irritating, as the book demands concentration and bouts of sustained reading to really enjoy. Absolutely loving it when I am able to settle down to it - way better than expected.

I got a book in the mail today: The City & the City by China Mieville.

Wicked is always picking up a little. I think I managed about 20 pages today. :lol:

Wicked is always picking up a little. I think I managed about 20 pages today. :lol:

How far into Wicked are you?

I finished Burned on Friday and that's about the sum total of my reading this weekend - oh hang on I read the Chinese take-away leaflet that came through the door.:lol:

:lol:......:D I want chinese!

Yay! :)

Reading more of Perdido Street Station - China Mieville

How far into Wicked are you?

A whole 36 pages. :lol:

Yay! :D

Reading more of Perdido Street Station - China Mieville

:) I now have three of his books. :lol: I'm sure I'll love them all though. I think I'll read Perdido Street Station first because I've had it the longest.

:D I now have three of his books. :lol: I'm sure I'll love them all though. I think I'll read Perdido Street Station first because I've had it the longest.

Once you do I would recommend reading his book by the laptop (search engine) or a dictionary, he does like to use words not commonly used, its very refreshing to read even if it takes a little longer to read than other books. :) I'm loving it so far.

I found out the other week China Mieville works at the university I work at and his office is in the building I have meetings in :lol:

True! Thankfully they haven't yet started filming Water for Elephants so I have plenty of time, but I'm going to enjoy picturing The Neck as the main character when I do start reading it :lol:. How are you finding Crimson Pedal, Frankie? It's quite a large book, and I started reading The House at Midnight last night and am really getting into it so I think I'll save Crimson Pedal for later :lol:. I might still join the group though just so I can say I'm in with you cool peeps!

You seem to be enjoying The House at Midnight so far so maybe it was for the better :D All in all, I was quite disappointed with The Crimson Petal and the White, I just finished it. The last 300 pages were really dragging. I don't know why this book was written. There was nothing in it that was greater than life, and with 854 pages you would expect more out of it. I'm so glad I'm done with it, I'll be donating my copy to the free book trolley at the library.

I should start reading Wicked today.

Once you do I would recommend reading his book by the laptop (search engine) or a dictionary, he does like to use words not commonly used, its very refreshing to read even if it takes a little longer to read than other books. :D I'm loving it so far.

I found out the other week China Mieville works at the university I work at and his office is in the building I have meetings in :lol:

That's very cool! Are you going to track him down? :)

All in all, I was quite disappointed with The Crimson Petal and the White, I just finished it. The last 300 pages were really dragging. I don't know why this book was written. There was nothing in it that was greater than life, and with 854 pages you would expect more out of it. I'm so glad I'm done with it, I'll be donating my copy to the free book trolley at the library.

I should start reading Wicked today.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy TCPatW Frankie. :lol:

That's very cool! Are you going to track him down? :lol:

I would have no idea what to say without sounding cheesy, stupid and feeling rude for disturbing him at work :lol: I'll see what happens, I may bump into him in the shop you never know.

All in all, I was quite disappointed with The Crimson Petal and the White, I just finished it. The last 300 pages were really dragging. I don't know why this book was written. There was nothing in it that was greater than life, and with 854 pages you would expect more out of it. I'm so glad I'm done with it, I'll be donating my copy to the free book trolley at the library.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy TCP&TW Frankie.

Having accepted that Great Expectations will take me another couple of weeks to finish, I now also have Geisha of Gion - Mineko Iwasaki on the go for those moments when I want a lighter read, such as this afternoon when my brain is too sleepy for Dickens :lol:

I read a bit more of Echo Bay by Michael Connelly this morning then unfortunately had to come to work, I am very tempted to get Kraken By China Mieville on Amazon but I am not sure..decisions decisions!!:)

I read a bit more of Echo Bay by Michael Connelly this morning then unfortunately had to come to work, I am very tempted to get Kraken By China Mieville on Amazon but I am not sure..decisions decisions!!:)

I say go for it Pickle, I really want it too, but think I should wait till I have finished Perdido Street Station at least. I listened to an interview with Mieville on BBC Radio 4 the other day, where he spoke a little about Kraken, must get!

Yesterday and today I decided to catch up on some reading so I read Shopaholic Abroad, Shopaholic Ties the Knot and Shopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella. :) It's been years since I read them (I think they were the first 'grown up' books I read :)) and I really enjoyed them.

Hope you're feeling better Ooshie and hope your Mum will soon be feeling better after her operation tomorrow :)

Thank you poppyshake :)

130 pages into The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. Enjoying it more than I expected to so far, although it's not a particularly cheerful read. (OK, not a cheerful read at all!)

I zipped right through The Silver Swan by Benjamin Black over the weekend, terrific writer, one of these days I'm going to have to try one of his literary works as John Banville.

I kindled and started The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano last night. A children in distress story so far, not normally my cup of tea, but I'm having a hard time putting it down.

I skim-read The Suspicions of Mr Whicher in work today, I've never been a fan of crime true or otherwise but this was rather interesting and Kate Summerscale sure can turn a pretty sentence.

I have read a few pages of The Other Queen (Philippa Gregory), more when I get to bed... I think I have more suspense than you all, because I never learned any single thing about Tudor England at school! But I must say something: the only thing I know is the end of this "Other Queen", too bad. :)

I MUST finish it quick, I have to read Alone by Lisa Gardner, I've received it after two months! I hate this volcano. =_=" Even though I know how to spell it perfectly. ^o^