Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished The Angry Island by A.A. Gill. I was enjoying it until about halfway through when he just sort of became hateful. I mean the whole book mocks the English which is fine but then he was trying to say that the English love of gardening somehow proves we're kind of fascistic and other things like that. After that I found it hard to take him seriously, especially since he was contradicting himself and just stating mental opinions as obvious facts.

It still had its moments though. Maybe the bits I didn't like were tongue in cheek and I just didn't get it.

I listened to Heidi today adated for BBC7 and I am a bit confused I remember when she got sent to the city it was Innsbruck or Vienna, in the adaptation they sent her to Frankfurt can anyone tell me for sure? I did enjoy it made a change from all the murder I was listening to.

Im up to pge 152 in 'Fatal Burn' by Lisa Jackson but as I got a few more of my requested books from the library yesterday I have started reading 'Plain Truth' by Jodi Picoult as well.So I have 2 books on the go again..:)

I think as soon as I have finished this Lisa Jackson one,I will give her a break as Im finding her books are kinda running the same way.Still have heaps of her's here to read though..;)

I listened to Heidi today adated for BBC7 and I am a bit confused I remember when she got sent to the city it was Innsbruck or Vienna, in the adaptation they sent her to Frankfurt can anyone tell me for sure? I did enjoy it made a change from all the murder I was listening to.

It was Frankfurt, pickle. :)

Just finished Tales of the Otherworld short story collection by Kelley Armstrong. An excellent Armstrong fix to keep me going until her next novel is released, and a nice interlude after two classics.

Me too, I loved it, I really want another Eve book

Read another chapter of The Count of Monte Cristo last night.

This was just delivered to my house yesterday! Is it good? :) I have to finish The Professor and Wolf Hall first, so it will be a while before I get around to reading it, but I have heard good things!

I loved the longer stories, to be honest - I can never get enough of Elena and Clay, and I thought the Paige and Lucas story was brilliant.

Yup me neither I was so on the edge on Elena and Clay which is so silly as I know the outcome having read all the books. :)

I received a brand-new copy of The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan from the lovely Chrissy - who saw it on my Amazon Wishlist and had a spare one.

So again, thank you so much, Chrissy. :)

I finished Acceptable Risk by Robin Cooke last night, and read the prologue of Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong this morning :). I ended up not being as annoyed as I started out whilst reading Acceptable Risk, so I was glad it didn't end up being a complete waste of time.

I'll try to collect my thoughts and post my review before I leave work today, since my internet is acting up at home ;).

Nearly finished Michael Strogoff by Jules Verne and I'm loving it. A real boy's own adventure. I'm going to start the Ginger Tree by Oswald Wynd next and I ordered John Boyne's latest book "The House of Special Purpose" today on Amazon.

I'm afraid to say my tbr pile hasn't moved much since the beginning of the year as I keep adding to it and I tend to read the newest books I obtain.

I've been slowly dipping into a review book: An Imitation of Life by Laura Soloman. I've been finding it slow and a bit boring, but I plan to attack it this afternoon and see if it improves if I give it more than a few minutes now and then

Today I borrowed;

Karin Slaughter--Triptych which I'd read a bit of before but had to give back to the library as someone had ordered it.

Jasper Fforde--The Fourth Bear. A new one on me.

Triptych is such a good book, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

The fourth bear is a good book, but best to read the previous book in the series first 'The big Over Easy'

As for me I have only managed to read 30 pages of Hunted.

I did however take back some books and there was some reservations for me to pick up. An Indian head massage book for my course and The secet tapes of marilyn monroe. I love reading about all the conspiracys surrounding her death, I have most of the books at home but I have not got nor read this yet.

Looking forward to reading it.