Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

Hello lauraloves and welcome to the forum.:D

Ah, those Harry Potter books are definitely worthy of the occasional re read. Do you find you get more out of them on a re read, or do you find them the same as the first reading?

i keep re-reading them because i always find something that i havent before and also when i watch one of the films i have to go back through the books and read all the bits that the film missed out and changed. x

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chesil! Don't do that! :D I now need to order that book immediately. I've managed to resist for so long - and then I saw your post :lol: :lol::D

It's the curse of BCF - I had no interest in reading it until I saw reviews by other people here! You won't regret it though, Mexicola, it's fantastic :)

Chesil! Don't do that! :lol: I now need to order that book immediately. I've managed to resist for so long - and then I saw your post :):lol::D

Yeah! Me too Chesil! This book had better be good!

I got several books in the mail today:

Ernest Hemingway: The Old Man and the Sea

Gloria Nicol: The Complete Book of Candles and Candlemaking

Oscar Wilde: The Happy Prince and Other Stories

PG Wodehouse: The Adventures of Sally

I read a few pages of Wicked last night but then decided I wanted to read The Wizard of Oz first, so the original story doesn't get tainted (for want of a better word).

Nice, Kylie! I take it you're going to start making candles? I used to do that a few years ago and I made a ton of stuff. I still have all my supplies but don't quite have as much space as I used to in order to do it. Some day I'll start back up again though!

I read quite a bit of Industrial Magic last night and am just about halfway finished. Loving Paige and Lucas as usual! :D

Nice, Kylie! I take it you're going to start making candles? I used to do that a few years ago and I made a ton of stuff. I still have all my supplies but don't quite have as much space as I used to in order to do it. Some day I'll start back up again though!

Thanks! It's something I've been vaguely interested in for a while, and the book was cheap so I thought why not? I don't know when I'll have time to start another hobby though. I'm already neglecting too many others!

Today I've mainly been reading my history book for the upcoming exam. I did sneak a peek in the Colour of Magic while I was at it but hey - learning about the Vikings and their laws and ways is fun as well. :D

I did fall for the temptation to go to the library recently. I borrowed the Kite Runner - something I've been wanting to check out for a while. :)

Yeah! Me too Chesil! This book had better be good!

Don't blame me if you don't think it is! It's all the other people who recommended it on here in the first place - they made me read it :D

Just finished it this morning, and it was brilliant.

Yesterday I wrote an e-mail to the local library, asking if they could get The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby, either in English or in Finnish (although there doesn't seem to be a Finnish translation yet). I got an e-mail from them today, asking me if I would like to read the book in English or in Finnish and that unfortunately the book won't be translated into Finnish this year. Talk about good customer service!! I wrote them back saying that I don't mind the English translation at all, but more people would benefit from the Finnish translation here in Joensuu. We'll see what happens. I'm thinking they'll order the English translation anyway, we have a pretty good selection of English titles in the library, for a town like Joensuu.

What a marvellous library! :D

That's great news Frankie. Is it a big library? I'm always amazed at the range of English-language books you seem to find there.

I'm about halfway through The Wizard of Oz.

That's great news Frankie. Is it a big library? I'm always amazed at the range of English-language books you seem to find there.

How are you finding it? I really enjoyed it :)

Not managed any reading yet but I did get an email from my library telling me Dorothy Koomson's new book has arrived on the reservation shelf for me :D

Not all the books I borrow from there are English, but I always use the English titles because there's no point in using the Finnish ones and adding the English ones in brackets. The library is average size I guess, Joensuu is not the biggest of towns but not the smallest either. I'm always quite happy with the library and the variety of books there. And if they lack a certain title I can always e-mail and ask for it, which has been proven many a times :D There are three rows of shelves for the English titles, maybe 4 average-sized (maybe 1 metre 20 centimetres) shelves in a row. It's pretty hard to estimate. I think there are over a 1,000 titles in English there, overall.

How are you finding it? I really enjoyed it :)

I'm really enjoying it too. :lol:

I'm glad your library is so helpful for such a bookaholic as you, Frankie. :D

Don't blame me if you don't think it is! It's all the other people who recommended it on here in the first place - they made me read it :)

Just finished it this morning, and it was brilliant.

I enjoyed the other two Du Maurier's that I've read, so I'm pretty certain that Rebecca won't be a let down! I had a few pounds on my Paypal account that I had forgotten was there, so I'm gonna get a copy from ebay to feel less naughty :D I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

I've been poorly so spent two solid days stuck in the house! The upside of being sick though was I got to read. I finished Q & A - Vickas Swarup, Dime Store Magic - Kelley Armstrong and Ash - Malinda Lo, all really good enjoyable books. I have started reading the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde too.

My new J R Ward turned up unexpectedly from Amazon today :D I had forgotten I had bought it. The Latests Black Dagger Brotherhood one. Thats my evening sorted then.

Finished Tinkers by Paul Harding last night, and will start The Last Child by John Hart today. I read his first 3 chapters of it on his site the other day, and was happy to find it on sale at Barnes & Noble.

You can find it here should you wish to read them. http://www.johnhartfiction.com/

Enjoy the Historian Muggle, I loved it.. Interesting to see you gave up on the Secret Scripture, what was wrong with it? I wondered as I have it on my tbr list.

I'm reading Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear at the moment. I've been after a copy for a while and found a brand spanking new copy in the Oxfam bookshop for