Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read another few chapters of Boris Akunin's Erast Fandorin books, this one is called Special Assignments I keep thinking I am not enjoying this book but then I get sucked in and this is the best of the 3 I have read so far. Its the russian names which confuse me somewhat.

I started reading A Steroid Hit the Earth: A Celebration of Misprints, Typos and Other Howlers last night.

It's by far the funniest book I have ever read. :motz: I had to put it down just a few pages in because I could no longer read it for the tears in my eyes. I ended up reading a large chunk of it and just laughed hysterically the whole way through. And it takes a lot for me to laugh out loud. Definitely not a book to be read in public. :motz:

I finished volume 1 of "Best New Horror," published in 1990. It's a collection of short horror stories given to me by a friend circa 2002 or 2003, and since it's dog-eared (my sister would say "loved") and kind of gross, I didn't mind taking it to my semi-sanitary workplace (and I think I'm going to BookCross it). Some of the stories were completely annoying, or just ridiculous, and some were ridiculously annoying, but there were a tolerable few. Luckily, I ended on one of the tolerable ones. I think I'm going to blog about it though, so I won't say too much. But I'm grateful to have read it, because it exposed me to more horror authors that I'm going to look up. Without that book, I'd continue my tendency to confine myself to no more than 10 authors of various genres (and most of my bookshelf is Stephen King).

I read 2 more chapters of "The Da Vinci Code," and I don't know how Dan Brown didn't get annoyed with his own writing style. He's just a bit too slow for me, and the dead guy in the beginning ... arrghhhh!! So frustrating!! Damn you, Dan Brown!!! ::shakes fist in the air::

I'm just about finished with Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories Volume I. I've just got a few more cases to go; I'll be sad to finish it. :motz: I guess it's a good thing I have Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories Volume II on stand-by!

Read a couple of chapter of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King whilst I had some hot chocolate. This is the one that's about five months overdue at a library in another county :motz: Luckily there is a

I have read a few more chapters of Catch 22, I'm still really enjoying it.

I forgot to mention I went second hand shop shopping at the weekend and bought:

On Beauty - Zadie Smith

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

The Behaviour of Moths - Poppy Adams

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

The Savage Garden - Mark Mills

I have got to stop buying books. I seriously cannot read fast enough!!!

I took a couple of books I'd registered on Book Crossing into town with me and left them in the Bon Accord shopping centre in Aberdeen yesterday morning. When I passed back through again 15 minutes later, one was already gone and someone was reading the blurb on the back cover of the other, so I hope they register that they've found them, read them, adn then release them back into the wild once more. :motz:

I finished reading A Steroid Hit the Earth. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a good belly laugh; it was utterly hilarious. :motz:

I've also read about 100 pages of The Crimson Petal and the White.

On Beauty - Zadie Smith

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

Oh the wonders of second hand book shops and charity shops, I love em! :motz: Good haul cookie!

I haven't read anything in a couple of days now, I have decided though to go on to Amazon and order a few, does that decision count towards book activity? :motz:

I haven't read anything in a couple of days now, I have decided though to go on to Amazon and order a few, does that decision count towards book activity? :D

Yes indeed! :D Do remember though that it might take a bit more time for the books to arrive because of all the plane delays :D I've been waiting for my book for more than the usual period.

My only book activity today so far: I sent a book off to a friend. Ooh and I got Trainspotting from the library :)

I have read a few more chapters of Catch 22, I'm still really enjoying it.

On Beauty - Zadie Smith

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

Yes I'm having the same problem, I bought 'The God of Small Things' from a charity shop today. I hope to read 'Water for Elephants' soon, liked 'On Beauty' and 'The Behaviour of Moths' and loved 'Catch 22'.

I must admit to being scared of taking on 'Labyrinth' .. I've no idea why.

Am getting close to finishing 'Cloud Atlas', I can't say I'm sorry. Bits I've enjoyed and bits I haven't but all in all a bit of a struggle.

Am getting close to finishing 'Cloud Atlas', I can't say I'm sorry. Bits I've enjoyed and bits I haven't but all in all a bit of a struggle.

Poppyshake, I was a bit wary of Labyrinth too, but thoroughly enjoyed it once I got started - I hope you do too. :D I agree with you about Cloud Atlas; if I remember rightly I was really drawn in at the beginning of the book and expected to love the whole thing, but was less and less impressed as the book went on. I kept hoping I would enjoy it more again, but didn't. :D

I'm up to page 650 in The Stand by Stephen King now, and have also read 50 pages of Shadow by Karin Alvtegen.

Me too! It's taunting me from my shelf, both it and the sequel, but it's huge!! :D

Kathy Reichs - Grave Secrets

I'm going to need a few more bookcases at this rate :D

I have exactly the same prob re bookcases, my books are all doubled up now :D Is the Kathy Reichs new? The last one of hers I bought was Devibl Bones. :)

I read a chapter of The Book Thief, hoping to get a few more chapters done if I can drift off to sleep in the next couple hours.