Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Michelle

I always felt that Frankenstein (among other issues) was about creating something and needing to take responsibility for it - the monster became a monster because he was left without direction.

Guest fireball

The first real lady writer of horror. And damn was she good.!

Here's apart of was said on unknown rhythm about Mary Shelley and Frankenstein.

Mary Shelley wrote the first draft of Frankenstein when she was eighteen years old after having a vivid nightmare and it was a departure from the usual female writers fare of the 1800's. The first time it was published she did not even claim it as her own work. In fact, many people believed that her lover Percy Shelley wrote the first edition of the story. He did influence Mary's writing style and proof read the work, he also wrote the preface as if from Mary's point of view.
See http://unknownrhythm.claremc.co.uk/themodernhorrorstory.html'>http://unknownrhythm.claremc.co.uk/themodernhorrorstory.html for the full read.! :lol::);)

See also http://unknownrhythm.claremc.co.uk/ nice tingly stuff there.:)

my mum wont let me read it, its unsuitable apparently!
It can be quite hard-going in places, so I can understand your mum's reservations, Chocolategal. I'm sure you'll enjoy it all the more when you're a bit older anyway - and you have it to look forward to, which is always a bonus! :lol:

Guest fireball

Quite right Kell. chocolategal, I don't know how old you are, and it's none of my business, but as Kell said it's something to lookforward to. It is hard going

AS of sorts, it's seen from the "monsters" point of view, and it's heart breaking in places to. Truly only a woman could have written it, and it's far from been a 'girly' story...ANYTHING but.

I think mum's is right, when your a bit older and can take on something's that really sad, it had me in tears,08.gif and I read it when I was 14/15 years of age.! It's a hell of a read. And there's not many books that have/done/did that I can tell you.!:lol:

• 11 months later...

It's taken me a little while to get into Frankenstein (nothing against the book - I just wasn't in a reading mood), but I'm really starting to enjoy it now.

I was really surprised that the 'creation' part of the story didn't take very long at all. I'm barely a quarter of the way through and we've already moved on from it. It looks like the story might become more fast-paced from here.

I have to keep reminding myself that Mary Shelley was only 18/19 when she wrote this book. What an amazing achievement!

Well, she definitely had an advantage over other women her age at the time...her parents were William Godwin and Mary Wollstonecraft, and she was married to Percy Bysshe Shelley!

• 2 weeks later...