Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Michelle

In time for Halloween....

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Obsessed by creating life itself, Victor Frankenstein plunders graveyards for the material to fashion a new being, which he shocks into life by electricity. But his botched creature, rejected by Frankenstein and denied human companionship, sets out to destroy his maker and all that he holds dear. Mary Shelley's chilling gothic tale was conceived when she was only eighteen, living with her lover Percy Shelley near Byron's villa on Lake Geneva. It would become the world's most famous work of horror fiction, and remains a devastating exploration of the limits of human creativity.

I posted this in my reading list but thought it would be better in here for discussion.

I finished Frankenstein this afternoon and was quite surprised by how long it actually took me to read it. I think there was a slight language barrier to get through, as with a lot of the classics, oh, and the overuse of the word endeavour, throughout :D The story was not entirely what I expected it to be which made it a more enjoyable read. My idea of Frankenstein was visions of creating his 'wretch' but that was actually only a small part of the story. I also really enjoyed the ambiguity (sp) of the story.

Is the real monster Frankenstein himself or is the monster and Frankenstein one and the same person....??

Overall a good story although it does drag in places.

Rats, I posted a reply then lost it!

Anyway, I read this book a while ago and found it a far more compex story than I first believed. It's interesting how you can feel sympathy for the creature because he is so totally isolated but also be repelled by his actions. He is intelligent and his love of nature is touching but he has no respect for human life.

I found it a very sad book with some harrowing parts.

Gilly

I only just started this tonight, so I'm only a couple of chapters in & I now know for sure that I read an abrisdged version when I was a kid - LOL! That said, i'm enjoying it so far. Looking forward to the rest of it...:D

I read this a few years ago. I remember feeling very sorry for the creature - a victim of science. of man's desire to create and be in control.The original story is far from that of Hollywood! The end left me wondering what and where the impact of man's creation will lead us - and this was before the advent of genetic engineering

I'm still only a handful of chapters in & although I'm enjoying it, I'm not enjoying it as much as I remembered. :dunno: However, I do like the style & I know I like the story already...

I agree, Kat - the one character that is most diserving of sympathy is the poor creature that was called into existence on a whim & then left to fend for itself because it didn't live up to its creator's ideals immediately, whereas Frankenstein himself doesn't accept that it is his responsibility to help his creation; to teach it; to nurture it, rather than abandoning it to its fate in a cruel world.

It seems to me that the real "monster" in the story is Frankenstein's own ego - believing that he has the right to play God just because he can.

Incidentally, I'm getting more into it now that I'm a few more chapters in...

Ah, so, I was reading along and thinking this is exactly like the movie and something seemed not quite right and so I took another look at the book and realized it was the movie tie in book. :dunno:

The language and some aspects of the story have been altered to fit the movie and now I'm going to have to track down a copy of the original story. Hopefully the library has one in.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't relaised that this was one of October's reads. If I had, I would have retrieved my copy of my Dad when I saw him a couple of weeks ago, and then impressed you all with my insight and intelligence. To clarify, I studied old Frank at uni as part of a "Writing Women" module.

Unfortunately, my addled brain cannot remember any of these insights without the annotated copy in front of me!

Nicky - my copy was one of those £1 Penguin classics - might be worth looking out for as it will certianly not be changed and is also cheap!

I have now finished Frankenstein. For me the language was a bit of barrier and I also felt that the book dragged in places.

I did not like Victor very much. As previous posters have commented he seemed to take no responsibility for his creation. In many ways Victor seemed to be more of a monster than the

• 4 weeks later...

I studied this book for an exam a few years ago and found it to be a rattling good yarn! As with previous comments I found my sympathies to be with the 'monster' rather than with his creator. Frankenstein is an arrogant man who assumes the mantle of God with devastating consequences. I remember being amazed to learn that Mary Shelley was only 18 when she wrote this.

• 5 weeks later...

I finished reading this a while ago, and bought the film but haven't watched it yet. I too would never have read this without it being a book of the month, so thanks everyone. I haven't followed the bom for a while, so off to have a look at Jans!

I was initially suprised that it is not the monster who is called Frankenstein! However, as I read the book I began to wonder whether or not F and the monster were one and the same thing - like a kind of manic schizophrenia? I know someone else has said this, but does anyone else agree?

• 4 months later...