New Books vs. TBR Pile

Readwine

I just finished compiling my TBR Pile which is over 60 books in strength. I find myself, however, not making much progress on it since last year as I keep buying new books - most of them from recommendations on this forum.

My Pile is growing :motz:My budget is diminishing :irked:

Do you suffer from this terrible malady as well? Any suggestions?

Calls for discipline :D and leaving the BCF?(yeah right)

One good thing at least, I have finally rid myself of the horrific guilt of book-quiting :D Too much time wasted in finishing a book I do not want to read.

I know I'll never get through my TBR pile. It doesn't bother me that often. I keep buying books quicker than I can read them but it means I always have a large selection to choose from so hopefully no matter what mood I'm in I can find a book I want to read.

I do wish I had time to re-read books though since my memory is terrible and after a few weeks I'll have forgotten a lot about a book, but I feel like reading a book again is taking away from time that could be spent reading or learning about new stuff.

I'm trying to stop adding books to my TBR list (and that includes buying them) until I see it shrink a little, I felt quite pleased when I took a couple of books off of it recently (cos I had read them) and didn't add any.

I'm actively avoiding bookshops for a while and trying to stick to the DVD and music pages on Amazon (won't last).

On here though it's impossible not to covet recommendations .. I've cheated and added them to my notepad so that I can add them to my TBR another time .. and so far it's working and I'm picking my next book off of my TBR list and not leapfrogging it for a newer shinier more raved about book.

I have a terrible habit of reading my newer books rather than the ones I've had waiting for a while, which is why I periodically go through Mount TBR and remove books I know I now have no interest in reading. I then list them for sale, swap them out, donate them to charity or leave them at our local Book Crossing Zone. There are certain authors I like to read pretty much as soon as I get them.

My TBR list of books I actually own is very low.. like, less than 10. I usually just buy books I really want to read at that time, OR that I find too cheap to resist. Unfortunately, those last are few. So I usually read new books too, when I have nothing to read or when the mood strikes me, I'll get to the other books on my TBR list.

The books I want to read that I do not own, well no getting through that. Must be hundreds, just usually can't get my hands on them unless buying them. And I don't have that much money. But our library doesn't have many books that I want to read anymore, plus the books they have in the original english (since it seems I tend to read a lot of english authors).. are very few.

On my Kindle I finish a book before I download another, although I do read way faster on the Kindle. I read many books in translation ( unavailable in e-book form) which I have to order on-line, and I usually buy 2 or 3 at a time but only so I can get free shipping, and finish them before I order more.

My sister loves showing me her books tbr which fill a shelf, sometimes two. I'm so indecisive a person I would never know where to start, and would probably go turn on the tv and watch a ballgame instead, and decide what to read another day.

Since joining here my TBR pile went up from 72 to 94 which doesn't include the books I haven't read yet on my Classic Books DS cartridge (I can't call it a game) which is about 90. I can't seem to stop myself even though I'm trying, I've only bought 3 books in the last 3 weeks!:D

My Pile is growing :motz:My budget is diminishing :irked:

Do you suffer from this terrible malady as well? Any suggestions?

Calls for discipline :D and leaving the BCF?(yeah right)

I know what you mean. It is an affliction which can only be cured by tying ones hands together and being blindfolded when passing a bookshop or going online. Noooooo - don't leave BCF. Seek help with a local branch of Bookaholics Anonymous.

My problem is my TBR pile is all over the place, ie on bookshelves, in cupboards - anywhere there is a bit of space really so out of sight out of mind when buying new books. Can't help myself:smile2:

I'm completely impossible. My TBR pile was 201 books at the beginning of the year and now it's up to 261 or something. I just keep buying books and there's no way I can read books as fast as I buy them. I've read less than 1/3 of the amount of books that I've already bought this year. What can I say, I like to buy books and one of my favorite hobbies is going to the charityshops and secondhand bookshops and finding great bargains on secondhand books. Also discovering play.com and free shipping in 2008 has made a huge (negative) difference on my TBR :D

My name is frankie and I'm a bookaholic.

I know exactly how you feel. My tbr keeps growing, and I feel guilty when I read a new book, rather than one that I've had for years.

I've accepted that I may never read all the book that I own, and while I'd love to finish them all one day, I don't worry about it any more.

I have managed to cut down the amount I spend by trying to buy second hand wherever possible, and using the local library to read some books that I would otherwise have bought.

As my mom says - if you have to have an addiction, books are a pretty good thing to be addicted to!

Great suggestions for my malady:

Increased TBR pile allows you to have a greater amount of books to choose from depending on your mood

Avoid bookstores and if not go in blindfolded

Avoid going online and if not tie your hands behind your back

Finish the last batch before you order/buy more

Seek help from Bookaholics Anonymous

Accept that I will never read all of the books I own - this is the one I am going to try.

God, grant me the serenity to accept all the books I want

The courage to read all of them

And the wisdom to quit reading the ones I struggle with

The thing is when you buy a new book it should really go at the very bottom of the TBR pile, but mine is so 'high' I would be buried by all the rest when it toppled over....:D