Kat's Reading 2006

Lilywhite

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost finished the Pelzer trilogy & it's been good, but I've been meaning to get hold of Sickened for some time now - I've heard it's a really good, if harrowing at times, read. I'll lok forward to gettnig it. The Virgin's Lover will get posted tomorrow for you. :D

I've just finished reading The Queens Fool - Philippa Gregory. This is the first Gregory book I've read and I absolutely loved it.

I can't wait to start making my way through the others that are starting to pile up..... lol btw thanks Kell :wink:

I started and finished The Little House by Philippa Gregory this afternoon. It's not like her historical books but a good story none the less. I found it a bit tepid but the underlying sinister plot keeps you reading.

I shall read Roberta Kray - The Debt next I think

I finished The Debt by Roberta Kray today, it started off quite good but I was bored by the end of it. She was billed to be as good as Martina Cole but I did find her lacking in comparison. It's an OK read without much depth, as a first attempt at fiction. I'm sure some of her real stories are much more interesting.

I'm gonna start Geisha of Gion tonight.

BTW Thanks Kell, my book arrived this morning.

I finished Mineko Iwasaki - Geisha of Gion last night, I have to say, as interesting as the subject matter is, this book reads very much like a history/geography text. I feel it needed a little more time spent on the telling of the story rather than the little details of street names and directions.

As I said though, very interesting read about the actual life of a geisha, even if a little boring in places.

I finished Jung Chang - Wild Swans over the bank holiday weekend, i enjoyed this one, although slightly long winded, it is a great read about three generations of women living in China. A bit too much politics for me to completely follow, I did get a bit bored at times but the story is still there

Also started and finished, Kaitlyn by Kevin Lewis Supposed to be along the same lines as Martina Cole. I liked the story but unfortunately didn't live up to the Martina Cole rival I thought it would be, it just wasn't gritty enough :lol: Still an entertaining enough read.

Finished reading Sabriel this afternoon, I wasn't that impressed with it to be honest and I don't think I will be looking for the others. He had a great idea but the book was a bit stale, like he had the story the padded it out to get a trilogy out of it. I also didn't like the way he wrote, I couldn't see this book appealing to either adults, teens or children really. Quite a disappointment. :lol:

May pick up the Joyce Carol Oates book next.

I didn't finish Sabriel - I think I got about 1/2 way through before putting it down, I always meant to go back & finish it, but I never got round to it as there wasn't enough to pull me back from what little I'd managed to get through. I've been assured that it's a wonderful series, but I doubt I'll ever read them now...

I've started the Joyce Carol Oates book, because it is bitter and because it is my heart. This one caught my eye as I was wandering the library and I thought I would give it a home for a week or two :lol:

I can't seem to read it for long though, I've picked it up twice but am only about thirty pages in. I am enjoying the story thus far, I just find myself having to re-read sentences to get what she means....

I shall try and persevere with this one and see how far I get

Just been to the library again and got myself the following

Elizabeth Kostova - The Historian

Philippa Gregory - Zelda's Cut

Sarah Dunant - The Birth of Venus

Alice Hoffman - The Ice Queen

They should keep me going for a while :lol:

I was going to start on the Historian this afternoon but the boyfriend has pinched it instead.... will have to be faster next time

I shall read the Ice Queen instead