Can someone tell me a good book to read?

I am stuck on a book to read and sugestions would be greatly appreciated!

Fantasy is my favourite.

The ost recent books I have read include the Percy Jackson series, Rangers Apprentice, Books by David Eddings and the Twilight Saga

Thank you

Edited by Book Nutter
Request for more information

Dear Book Nutter, I've moved your thread as we have a section specifically for this kind of request :blush:.

'Fantasy' is still a bit vague, if you could tell us the last few books you've read and liked that should give us an idea what to recommend you?

From what you've read before may I suggest Robin Hobb Assassin series. It's about the illegitimate child of a prince and his life as he grows up and becomes an assassin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hobb#The_Farseer_Trilogy

Assassin's Apprentice (1995)

Royal Assassin (1996)

Assassin's Quest (1997)

If you like space military fiction (or haven't tried it) Elizabeth moon has some flowing stories, a bit like Eddings as in may not be the best written in the world and one series is fairly similar to another but the important thing is the quality of the story. I started with her Serrano series (Hunting Party).

Finally if you want something with a little more depth and bite try Stephen Donaldson.

Mordant's Need (two books in this Sword and magic fantasy):

The Mirror of Her Dreams (1986)

A Man Rides Through (1987)

Sci-Fi - The gap series:

The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story (1991)

The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge (1991)

The Gap into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises (1993)

The Gap into Madness: Chaos and Order (1994)

The Gap into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (1996)

Doorstep (and heavy) books by Donaldson are the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. This is three trilogies, starts with Lord Foul's Bane. It's about a man on the fringe of a community that ostracises him for his leprosy. Then he is transported to another world (or not he may just be insane) where he must fight an evil force with his magic.

Hope that helps.

I'm coming to the end of the first book in the True Blood series, which a friend bought for me. I quite liked the TV version and didn't think the books would be any better than marginal but I'm really enjoying it. The TV version isn't exactly the same as the book so I don't feel I'm watching it all over again, and although I know the ending of the first series, I can't wait to find out how the book ends.

You can try Kelly Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series starting with Bitten.

Katie McAlister's Aisling Grey Guardian series starting with You Slay Me.

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files starting with Storm Front.

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy starting with The Magician's Guild.

Terry Prachett's Discworld series.

I haven't actually read this book yet, it's on my TBR list but several of my friends are raving about it. The name of the Wind by patrick Rothfuss. It's been described as Harry Potter for adults. Its actuallt part of a series called Kingkiller Chronicles and he is writing the next one at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Stephanie Meyer has also written a book called The Host, is very different from Twilight, but still has a good writing style.

Maria V Snyder has a series, starting with Poison Study. Very good.

There is also James Clements The Banned and the Banished series, starts with Wi'tch Fire (yess, the apostrophe is supposed to be there!)

If you are after something more indepth, taking more concentration there is Robert Jordon's Wheel Of Time series. 14 books in total, starting with The Dragon Reborn.

Or there is Katherine Kerr's Deverry series, starts with Daggerspell.

Magician by Raymond E. Feist is a good read on its own. There is a whole series using the same characters/setting if you like it.

Yes, if the OP likes David Eddings then Feist is a good way to go :friends0:

Also:

The Painted Man by Peter V Brett

The 'Memory, Sorrow & Thorn' series by Tad Williams, starting with The Dragonbone Chair

The Robin Hobb books mentioned by nicholbb

Eon: Rise of The Dragoneye by Alison Goodman

I loved that book! Can't wait for the next.

I'd recommend Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion trilogy (which you can now get in one book called 'The Deed of Paksenarrion').

I'd also recommend The Long Price series by Daniel Abraham.

Aaaand the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

I'd better go now before I get carried away.

Oh! Almost forgot - The Adamantine Palace by Stephen Deas

I loved that book! Can't wait for the next.

I noticed the hardback version of The Desert Spear has just come out. I'm looking forward to it, too, but I'm going to wait for the paperback :lol:

I suppose I should do my usual bit and recommend Steven Erikson and George RR Martin. I avoided them in my first post 'cos I'll start sounding like a scratched record. But I ... just ... can't ... seem ... to stop myself :friends0:

For fantasy mixed with satire I'd recommend Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Full of all the dragons, wizards and dwarves (dwarfs) you could want, but with a comedic twist, usually - especially more recently - with a little pinch of background social commentary to boot. Absolutely wonderful writer, although I should point out that it does help if you're from the UK as some of the jokes are very "British humour", but I don't imagine it takes too much away if you're not. :friends0:

As there are now 30 or so books in the series you can either start from the beginning, or start more recently - I would recommend books like Thud or Night Watch to start you off, but really it doesn't matter where you begin at all!

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (14 books, 12 done and 2 on the way)

The Shannara books by Terry Brooks (Several small trilogies)

A Song of Ice And Fire by George R R Martin (Four books done, 3 more on the way, Author seems to be taking his time. Yet sadly worth the wait. The 'person of dubious parentage'.)