F1 Motor Racing

Johnny Carson Whit

Murray Walker diagnosed with cancer.

At least they have caught it early, it sounds like there is a good chance he will pull through.

Cancer can just bugger off, though.

Fingers crossed that everything with him ends up being ok.

Sounds like the FIA, Pirelli and Mercedes are really getting into a bit of a war in the tribunal that is being held at the moment. I'm hoping that the findings come out sooner rather than later because these things have a tendency to really drag on.

• 8 years later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 and half years later and really it looks like another tribunal is certain. I wasn’t overly fussed who won today but the enforcing of the rules have been farcical all season. Heads need to roll at the FIA but no one will be held to account. Such a sad way to end the season.

15 hours ago, Brian. said:

6 and half years later and really it looks like another tribunal is certain. I wasn’t overly fussed who won today but the enforcing of the rules have been farcical all season. Heads need to roll at the FIA but no one will be held to account. Such a sad way to end the season.

I was hoping Hamilton would win, but it was really a case of the lesser of two evils (my respect for Verstappen and Horner have gone off a cliff this season).

Either of them would have been a worthy winner, in so far as their driving abilities go, but no one deserved to win or lose the way it played out. 

Red Bull were smart with their team strategy, Mercedes decided to keep the positional advantage (although they probably could have squeezed in a pit stop during the virtual safety car 10 laps from the end).  Ultimately, that decision is what cost Hamilton the Driver's Championship, but the chaotic end to the race was a farce, and those involved (and especially race director Michael Masi) should face some pretty stiff questioning over what happened and why. 

I'm 99% sure Mercedes won't win any appeal they lodge, overturning the championship results - even if the general consensus is that what happened was wrong - would loose the FIA too much face and damage the F1 brand badly - but if it can force change to the way races are policed and introduce better consistency, then it will be worth it.

Overall, though, I'm more disappointed than angry about how the race turned out.  I watch F1 for the racing, not the stewards inquiries.

17 minutes ago, Raven said:

I was hoping Hamilton would win, but it was really a case of the lesser of two evils (my respect for Verstappen and Horner have gone off a cliff this season).

Either of them would have been a worthy winner, in so far as their driving abilities go, but no one deserved to win or lose the way it played out. 

Red Bull were smart with their team strategy, Mercedes decided to keep the positional advantage (although they probably could have squeezed in a pit stop during the virtual safety car 10 laps from the end).  Ultimately, that decision is what cost Hamilton the Driver's Championship, but the chaotic end to the race was a farce, and those involved (and especially race director Michael Masi) should face some pretty stiff questioning over what happened and why. 

I'm 99% sure Mercedes won't win any appeal they lodge, overturning the championship results - even if the general consensus is that what happened was wrong - would loose the FIA too much face and damage the F1 brand badly - but if it can force change to the way races are policed and introduce better consistency, then it will be worth it.

Overall, though, I'm more disappointed than angry about how the race turned out.  I watch F1 for the racing, not the stewards inquiries.

I was just reading that Mercedes may amend any appeal to leave the drivers championship result alone but to focus on the handling of the race in its own right. I also read a post where someone else highlighted that any cars who were not allowed to unlap themselves prevented other drivers racing properly in the final race. If I recall correctly, Sainz for example had Bottas and a lapped car in front of him (Ricciardo) when the safety car went in. He passed Bottas but the extra car gave him a disadvantage race wise and although unlikely, prevented him from racing for 2nd place. I haven't gone through it all but there I wouldn't be surprised if there were drivers and constructors from other teams who lost out on points. Points which could make a big difference to prize money etc handed out to smaller teams who rely on it to ensure they can continue to operate.

• 2 years later...