SFX Magazines's Top 25 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books

Raven

I will NEVER be surprised at loads of Pratchett books getting onto "best of" lists - he's a national treasure and his books are awsome, whereas Rowling has only written one series of 7 books, Pratchett has well over 30 in the Discworld series and many other books outside that series to boot! :)

Much as I adore the Potterverse (Azkaban and Goblet are my joint favourite HP books by the way, so good choice SFX voters), I'd say that Terry is by far the superior writer between the two. His imagination is even more bottomless than Rowling's, and his wordsmithery is in another league entirely.

I'm glad to see 2 entries for Neil Gaiman too :) Although I would never say I was reader of sci-fi, I'm surprised by how many of the top 25 I have actually read. Maybe I am into sci-fi then! :D

Well it's sci-fi and fantasy :)

I've never read the Pratchetts, Rowling, C. S. Lewis, or King.

I've read Gaiman, Nineteen Eighty Four, Hyperion, I Am Legend, LOTR, His Dark Materials and I have Ender's Game waiting to be read.

Pratchett has well over 30 in the Discworld series and many other books outside that series to boot! :)

That's precisely why I was surprised so many made it into the list! (the sheer number of books Pratchett has written usually goes against him in polls because it tends to split his vote).

I'd also agree with BJ that Pratchett is a much better writer than Rowling, but the Potter books do have more mass appeal, so I would have expected more of them in the top 25.

Good to see Twilight never made the list!

ETA:

I've read 12 of the books listed.

Edited by Raven

I'm really happy that the only Potter they put in was what I consider the best :)

Some great titles on there, as wonderful as Narnia is, I wouldn't say it's one of the greatest novels ever written, the story is brilliant but it just lacks that aura of magnificence imo.

If they are going to put two Kings so close together, IT for me is probably one of the best stories ever written no matter what genre, it obliterates The Stand as a whole, they should make room for The Dark Tower book 3, that packs a punch.

Nice to see a Gaiman title on there, that specific one is on my TBR list :D

Well it's sci-fi and fantasy :)

I've read Gaiman, Nineteen Eighty Four, Hyperion, I Am Legend, LOTR, His Dark Materials and I have Ender's Game waiting to be read.

You'll enjoy this one:D

I am pretty surprised that there is no room for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. There is a lot of modern work, which is kinda cool.

I've read LOTR, The Hobbit, Legend, Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, Ender's Game, 1984, 'The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe', The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, War of the Worlds and all the T Prachett books.

Edited by Kreader
additions

Like Kell, I thought it was very heavily weighted to the fantasy and fantasy horror side of things; and with Pratchett and Hitch-hikers, the comedy side. There's very little SF in there, which seems wrong to me. Particularly if you view 1984 and War of the Worlds as coming from a slightly different era.

That said, given that I'm really not a fan of fantasy stuff, it's interesting that I've read 11 of them.

Actually, I've been thinking for a while that I don't quite understand why Fantasy and SF are put together on bookshelves - they really are very distinct categories.

Well it's sci-fi and fantasy :smile2:

Ender's Game is fantastic! I only found out about it through another best of list at Christmas and already on book 5 (but as always the first is the best). What hits me is how the tech the author uses which is still believable in todays world.

It's also a fantastic comment on how pressure we put on kids and what responsibility children have for their actions in society (if you want to take it that way).

• 4 weeks later...

I've read seven off the list (Watchmen, Good Omens, I am Legend, His Dark Materials, American Gods, Nineteen Eighty-four and The Prisoner of Azkaban) and have seven on my TBR pile (Hyperion, Magician, The Day of the Triffids, Ender's Game, Game of Thrones [just ordered], Dune, HGTTG).

I also added The Stars My Destination to my wish list. Tut.

How did you find Hyperion Nollaig?

Edited by Steeeeve
Adding a comma