Recommedations needed

I am looking for a new book or even author to read of, but am reaching the end of the line in terms of what I enjoy. I like the works of Bret Easton Ellis, and am particularly looking for books that have the theme of a moral depraved society, and moral depraved characters even. So, books like Less Than Zero, American Psycho, Glamorama.

I have read all of the books by Bret Easton Ellis and have bought two books by Hubert Selby Jr. That does that sort of thing, so I am really looking for books or authors of that kind. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hmm, I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but you might want to take a look at Augusten Burroughs. His books are mostly memoirs, some of them 'a bit more funny' than the others (they always have serious and disturbing themes but some of them are written in a lighter and funnier tone). You might want to start with Dry which comes after Running with Scissors, but Dry might be something you'd be more into.

Having read it and watched the film, I'd definitely agree that Clockwork Orange fits your bill. Please read the book first though, as the film cuts out the last thirty or so pages of the novel, thus changing the message of the story entirely.

On this theme, I'd thoroughly recommend some JG Ballard work. The mid-70s novels of urban breakdown and moral breakdown, in particular: Crash, High Rise and Concrete Island. Also some of the later ones, particularly Cocaine Nights and, less so, Super Cannes. Crash is considered the classic in the genre, the book that really shocked people. Ballard's work with The Atrocity Exhibition where he started experimenting with seeing how people reacted to the conjunction of sexual imagery and car crashes was the starter on this. There's a fair amount of fascinating commentary around it all, too, but really all you need to do is read the novel

As mentioned elsewhere, Martin Amis sort of fits the bill, but is sometimes too clever for his own good; also Will Self - who is a far less annoyingly smug novelist than he is commentator.

Michel Houllebecq probably fits the morally unclear bill, too, although I didn't actually enjoy Atomised at all.

Hey Steve,On speaking to my OH here who also does a fair bit of reading he recommends The Scar,Perdido Street Station & The Iron Council all by the same author.Hope this is what you had in mind..:D

I thought Perdido Street Station was fantastic. Must pick up the other's you mention at some point.