Fish curry

Cookie

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread - but I'm Indian, live by the sea, and can't pass a fish-curry thread without having something to say.

I found an online version of one my favourite recipes - simple and delicious!

Just sharing the link here, if anyone comes looking here:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/168626/goan-fish-curry

(mine looks more red as I add more chilli to it)

• 3 months later...

Bree, are you familiar with the Patak's brand of curry pastes? I was wondering how authentically Indian they are. I usually add some more ingredients such as grated fresh ginger, garlic etc but they are particularly yummy.

Maureen, hope you like it! (I usually add a paste of freshly grated coconut, but the coconut milk should do well enough)

poppy, wasn't aware of Patak's - just googled them - they seem very popular - I guess they're good.

My cooking is very simple - I personally prefer fresh spices and herbs rather than the ones from the store.

Fish curry rarely needs strong spices - and I stick to what's in that recipe.

For chicken I tend to add a freshly made paste of ginger, garlic, and green chillies, and play around with different quantities of freshly powdered black pepper balls, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin seeds, cloves, coriander seeds, nutmeg, turmeric and fennel seeds. Most of us have a little "spice box" at home with all these. Something like this-

4665455612_8930909eec.jpg

Not sure if all these are available in other countries or even if it'll suit all palates!

I'm guessing Patak's will have a blend of all this, but tempered for the non-Indian tastes.

What a nifty idea Bree!! I'm always rummaging around in my pantry searching for the box containing the spice or herb I want. Even if you just put the ones you needed for curries in it, it would make things way easier. I'm going to keep an eye out for one of those.

How do you grind your spices and make your pastes? With a pestle and mortar or with an electric grinder?

Maureen, hope you like it! (I usually add a paste of freshly grated coconut, but the coconut milk should do well enough)

poppy, wasn't aware of Patak's - just googled them - they seem very popular - I guess they're good.

My cooking is very simple - I personally prefer fresh spices and herbs rather than the ones from the store.

Fish curry rarely needs strong spices - and I stick to what's in that recipe.

For chicken I tend to add a freshly made paste of ginger, garlic, and green chillies, and play around with different quantities of freshly powdered black pepper balls, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin seeds, cloves, coriander seeds, nutmeg, turmeric and fennel seeds. Most of us have a little "spice box" at home with all these. Something like this-

4665455612_8930909eec.jpg

Not sure if all these are available in other countries or even if it'll suit all palates!

I'm guessing Patak's will have a blend of all this, but tempered for the non-Indian tastes.

I saw one of these at the BBC Good Food show last year and sooo nearly bought one.. I know a Indian friend of mine has one too so they must be available in the UK at least. Hope you find one Poppy! :smile:

do you grind your spices and make your pastes? With a pestle and mortar or with an electric grinder?

I use an electric grinder - but have been looking out for a good mortar and pestle made of stone - I like the coarseness it produces.

Hope you find a spice box poppy, are you in the UK? You get some lovely wooden ones too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use quite a lot of Patak's pastes and they are quite authentic .. when I say that I am talking about anglo-authentic .. they are as good as the takeaways in other words :blush: Last time I had a chicken tikka masala though I bought a new blend from the supermarket (Waitrose) that Anjum Anand (the cookery writer) has devised (they're called 'The Spice Tailor') and that was really tasty :smile: I'm going to try more of them.

http://www.thespicetailor.com/shop/

• 5 years later...

I really like using different spices to cook actually. My favourite one is Malaysian curry powder. This freshly ground Malaysian curry powder is an earthier, milder version of typical curry powders, with a turmeric base, cassia and fenugreek for an earthy sweetness, plus chiles to add heat.

Edited by Michelle
Link removed.. account will be banned if only here to sell spices!