Struggling with Catch 22

hungryvegan

I am on chapter 15 and honestly it keeps going. It continues to tell the story from multiple points of views by introducing a character every chapter and telling their part of the story then switches characters again. That being said, I am enjoying it because it fits my sense of humor (monty python, hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, etc.). I am finding I can't read much in a sitting though, I read a couple of chapters on the weekend and maybe one during the week and go back to a more serious read. I do find it very funny though.

I didn't even get to page 70 when I tried to read it. I really enjoyed the humour but as Emmaline said there are so many characters that get introduced and I couldn't hold it in my head. I'm going to give it another go at some point and hopefully now I know what to expect I'll be able to do better.

But no, I don't think it's just you :)

If you're struggling with Catch-22 now, you may continue to struggle. However, I'd recommend sticking with it because it does start to make a bit more sense towards the end, when various pieces of the puzzle come together. It's one of my favourite books. :)

I started out okay, when I read it a few years back, but struggled for a while after getting over half-way through. It did pick up again towards the end though, and I'm glad I finished it, but I wouldn't call it an easy read.

I got to chapter 7 and was finding it really hard work and not that entertaining, but as its our book club book, I've downloaded it on Audio from itunes, I'm still not impressed but at least I'll finish it. Thanks for everyones reply, at least I'm not the only one who doesn't 'get it'.

I believe books should be enjoyable to read, and for me this one isn't.

I remember a character in a TV-series enjoying the novel and that's about it. :) I remember the book was discussed in one of our lit classes but it wasn't obligatory reading material for the course so I never tried it. I'm going to, though, for various reasons. I know it's supposed to be a difficultish read but other than that I have no prejudices and I hope to like it.

I downloaded it from Audible and so far I'm really enjoying it .. I like the humour in it.

Hooray! :) The humour is terrific, and tempered with some terribly sad moments.

Frankie, I really hope you read it and enjoy it as much as I did. It's not the easiest of reads but it's so wacky and full of crazy characters and situations that I think it's just brilliant.

Frankie, I really hope you read it and enjoy it as much as I did. It's not the easiest of reads but it's so wacky and full of crazy characters and situations that I think it's just brilliant.

Cool, I love wackiness and crazy characters and situations :) I'm very tempted now to go to the library and borrow it... :roll:

One of the very best books ever, surely? Funny and brilliant and poignant and dark and dry and slapstick and bleak all thrown together. Glorious.

This is probably my favourite book. I don't think I've ever laughed quite so much at a book as much as I did with this one. Andy, you sum it up perfectly. I urge people to persevere!

I did find the first 100 pages really hard going but I hope others are not put off by your experience.

It's such a shame for me as an absolute lover of the book (I purchased the negatives so no literal proof of that) but if it doesn't float your boat it doesn't. (It's why I try not to comment on Twilight, I couldn't get past page 90 of that :lol: never mind, off topic)

For me it highlights the complete insanity of war, bureaucracy of big business and is the perfect situations comedy. The part of Docs 'death' made me howl but the Major Major naming wasn't so funny as I know I'd do the same in his dads place.

I think are two camps on this book, those that think Simon and Garfunkel split was worth it and those that don't :D