'Like Water for Chocolate' Laura Esquivel

sirinrob

This novel set in Mexico at a time of revolution. The story chronicles the life of Tita, who as the youngest daughter is by tradition not allowed to marry, having to care for her mother till her mother dies. this causes heartache for tita as she falls in love with Pedro, which is reciprocated but cannot be fulfilled. Her mother Elena is a tyrant; a bitter twisted widow. To avoid contact with her mother as far as possible, Tita retreats to the kitchen, where her aptitude for cooking comes into its own.

Her elder sister Gertrudis gets out of the situation by running off with the revolutuionaries. Rosauria, the middle sister marries Pedro. At least Tita has him near. After the death of her mother , Tita eventually gets together with Pedro, which leads to a surprise ending.

The ingenious idea that the author uses, is to work a recipe into the storyline for each chapter. This together with the well crafted story telling, made for a very enjoyable read :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know, I can hardly remember the names of my kids sometimes, but I remember that I read the bulk of this book at the dermatologist while waiting for my sons appts.

I am like you Lucybird, I often don't remember the details of books but I remember that I liked this one, since I like cooking and reading.