Tattoos!

Nollaig

Tattoos ARE addictive. I have some stars on my lower back, swallows on the sides of my middle fingers and a cherry blossom branch on my upper back/neck. I'm currently planning on my half-sleeve, the details are still a secret ( :lol: ), but it's going to have roses and lilies and some traditional-styled themes. I love the neo-traditional style of tattooing, two of my favourite artists of that genre here in Finland are Juha Lensu and Hexa. Hexa was the one who did these swallows of mine, lovely guy.

About the pain, then. I'm really sensitive and if I got through it (and am going to go and get even more and more ink), I bet anyone can, haha. The most painful spots for me were the spine area on the lower back and the fingers, because they were inked twice as deep as the usually, to get the ink stay on properly. Difficult spot to tattoo...

I'll post a picture of my cherry blossoms later when I'm on my own computer again.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is my one and only tattoo on my left ankle. I wanted something very personal and after a few months of shopping around and looking at different designs I finally decided to draw my own. This was the final design except the guy doing it screwed up on the lily. I wanted it white with red veins but it just looks pink. Within the next couple of months I plan on going back to get the whole thing colored in red with black shadowing so that it looks better.

I love your tattoo CaLily, I love the triquetas.. always have. :lol:

Oh and one day I'd also like Elua's creed from Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart series tattooed somewhere: "Love As Thou Wilt".. cause I couldn't agree more, and I love these series for years and years now.

I love your tattoo CaLily, I love the triquetas.. always have. :friends0:

Oh and one day I'd also like Elua's creed from Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart series tattooed somewhere: "Love As Thou Wilt".. cause I couldn't agree more, and I love these series for years and years now.

Thanks Univerze. ;) I've thought about adding a few Ogham markings in the lily petals but no one would understand their meaning but me, they may just look weird... idk. :lol:

"I'd also like Elua's creed from Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart series tattooed somewhere: "Love As Thou Wilt".. " <-- That would be so cool!

I came up with my own design once whilst in the tattoo shop, I sat down with the artist and described it to him and he just said 'hhmmm ok' with a look of horror on his face, I think he was as glad as I am now that I didn't have enough money on me at the time to do it there and then :lol:

Hahaha!! I'd scrap an idea there and then if I got that reaction. That said, my artist didn't seem to suggest anything one way or another. At one point he asked was I still with him, since I was so quiet, (I was just fascinated watching the needle, and slightly horrified that I bled so much). And he asked 'do you want that star thing all squiggly like that' :friends0: That star thing being the Jack's Mannequin logo.

post-1908-127972303163_thumb.jpg

post-1908-127972303166_thumb.jpg

I have three.

One of the top of my leg. It's a heart with my ex boyfriends name though it. Had that coloured it and got my husbands name put on top of the heart. We are no longer together:lol:

A Betty Boop tat above my right boob and three Celtic hearts at the bottom of my back.

I want a Marilyn Monroe tat next.

Was that tattoo on your wrist overly painful and did it bleed more than you would expect Noll? I hear its one of the more 'sensitive' places to be tattooed :lol:

I quite fancy having a tattoo on the under side of my wrist

Nah, barely hurt. You can obviously feel it, but it only barely registers above the 'pain' threshhold. Well, that's how it was for me. It did bleed more than I expected, but even as he was wiping away blood from letters that had JUST been done, there was no pain at all.

The only two bits that did hurt a bit (and took longer to heal) were the center of the asterisk, and the 'W'. They made me wince a couple times because he kept going over them again and again, but at no point was it unbearable.

It's hilarious that I've always wanted a tat, considering that my pain threshold is non-existent and my family will probably disown me should they ever find out I had one done :lol: it'd have to be something related to my craft, I've got a couple of ideas swirling around in the brain but I don't want more than one so I need to be sure before committing to a design. The one I like the most at the minute is a quill dipped in a cup of coffee, I'll scan my drawing of that tomorrow and maybe you guys can tell me what you think... what you really think, as after all this could be on my flesh forever :friends0:!

This is mine - the stars look wonky as I had my arm stretched out, but when it's relaxed it's not so bad, although it wasn't the best job in the world! I wish I'd gone to a couple of tattoo artists before hand.

post-3944-127972303176_thumb.jpg

@Giulia: Can't wait to see the design, and will, of course, offer honest opinions :friends0:

@Missy: That's really cute! It doesn't look wonky at all - you should see the crazy distortions of mine when I bend my hand :lol:

This is mine - the stars look wonky as I had my arm stretched out, but when it's relaxed it's not so bad, although it wasn't the best job in the world! I wish I'd gone to a couple of tattoo artists before hand.

They're not that bad, okay I have seen better work, but not very bad. But this is why I would wait till May to get mine done, you know, months waiting? The shop I go to, I've been going to for 10 years (it's been that long since I have had my tongue piercing done) and I have never gotten a tattoo, but friends have there, and the place is always packed as far as getting tattooed goes. People keep coming back, and Kim and Marco (she does the piercings, he the tattoos) keep going to conventions etc, few times a year, worldwide, to keep learning more, and improving themselves. I have all the faith in the world that this guy can make my tattoo pretty. Plus, he's a nice guy, makes me feel comfortable, which isn't alltogether unimportant.

That's like the guys at our local tat parlour (we went to Draconian). They go to all kinds of conventions and things and they've won loads of awards for their artwork - superb stuff. And their place is immaculate too. And to top it all off, the guys, despite looking well hard, are dead friendly and welcoming even to ink virgins. They made me and my hubby feel really welcomed and relaxed when we got our tats done and they didn't make me feel like an idiot when I passed out either.

I just want to mention, I didn't pass out because of any pain - I just pass out for no apparent reason (the docs haven'e quite figured out why yet - even hafter more than a decade of tests!) and this was one of those occasions. Probably not helped by the fact that I was so excited that I couldn't eat brekkie that morning - LOL!

Anyway, the guys gave me a lolipop to stick under my tongue and got me a drink of juice and just waited till I was ready to carry on. I didn't feel rushed or like anyone was laughing at me. That's the mark of a good ink palace. I swore then and there that I would only ever go to them for inkwork.

My sis has had all but one of her tats done there and guess which one is the lesser work? That's right - the one they didn't do is the only one that's not quite up to scratch! She's considering getting a different design done over it - and she'll go to Draconian to do it. :lol:

I actually think the stars look prettier asymmetric as they are Missy :friends0:!

You're really selling Draconian Kell, if Aberdeen was any closer I'd consider them for my ink initiation...!

Found my cuppa-come-inkwell design but I hadn't drawn it as prettily as I remembered so I'm going to have to re-design it :lol: please bear with me.

@Nollaig - she's got no clothes on. Her wings are ringed with red and purple and shes sitting on red and yellow flowers.

Apart from that I have a few piercings - lip, septum, tragus, nipple. I have scaffolding in my right ear and a 10mil stretcher in my left ear plus two lots of regular ear piercings.

My OH has 10 tats and plans for extending one and plans for 2 more - a full back piece that extends over his bum and a tummy one. He has eight piercings and three flesh tunnels.

We sound like a right pair of masochists!:lol:

I really like your stars, they look good to me :lol:

@ Giulia, I'm excited to see your design!

Do you guys get LA Ink in the UK? If you don't its basically just a reality TV show about a tattoo parlor in Los Angeles. Their work is absolutely amazing! I've thought about getting a little star or something done behind my ear, just something tiny about the size of a pencil eraser, when I go out at the end of the month.

Edited by CaliLily

There, I just got back from the tattoo shop and made an appointment to get mine done, we discussed particulars, there had to be some changes made since I wanted two of the stars to be like, double lined? And those were too small, so they have to be a bit bigger. Also picked out the font for dad's name, had one myself but theirs are way prettier.

But it can't be done till June 2nd. *sighs* They're booked solid, Kim said she'd give me a call if someone cancelled again (like they did when mom wanted to get one), because I only have a short-ish appointment.. maybe a little over an hour. Apparently those stars take up more work than mom's tattoo, which is why it's more expensive too. 150 euros, ick. Payed 25 already, they always do that. Good it's that far off then, means I can save up hee hee. I have the money now, but that's sort of money for another purpose. As in paying bills in the future etc. :lol:

But yeah, YAY, tattoo on the way.

Oooh I've seen LA Ink, it's awesome :lol: don't know who to trust here really, there's quite a few parlours in my neighbourhood but how do you know they're safe & trustworthy?

You really want to visit more than just one and don't be afraid to ask to see actual pictures of their work. Most tattoo artists are very proud of their craft and like to show off their portfolio.

The one I chose to get my ankle tattoo done at the one I did because they have free touch-ups for life. Basically it is written into my contract that if it is ever fading I can just go in and they will update it for free. They are the only tattoo shop in town who offers that and I thought it was worth it.

They made me and my hubby feel really welcomed and relaxed when we got our tats done and they didn't make me feel like an idiot when I passed out either.

I just want to mention, I didn't pass out because of any pain - I just pass out for no apparent reason (the docs haven'e quite figured out why yet - even hafter more than a decade of tests!) and this was one of those occasions. Probably not helped by the fact that I was so excited that I couldn't eat brekkie that morning - LOL!

It's actually pretty common that people start feeling dizzy and even pass out when getting a tattoo. It's mostly because of the excitement, you might end up being too concentrated on the tattoo that's being done and forget to breathe properly and then you start feeling bad. It happened to me when I got the swallows on my fingers done, the tattoo artist warned me that it's gonna hurt and I probably focused on that thought a bit too much :-D I noticed the dizziness striking me and asked for a little break, after that it went all fine.

It's very important to me, too, to feel welcome and relaxed in the place where I'm getting my tatts done. I also want to have some kind of a connection with the person tattooing me, we need to understand each other so that the result will be the best one possible.