Nollaig

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fallyoufly.jpg

I wouldn't get this myself but thought it was a wonderful quote. Neil Gaiman mentioned it in a blog ....it is a quote from his Fables and Reflections

Am not a big fan of Gaiman (sorry, but I just find his books hard to read, have tried American Gods and Neverwhere and am boooored), but this quote is nice. Different font though, this seems like someone's typed onto the shoulder, I'd use a font that's prettier. ;) I'm all for pretty tattoos.

Am not a big fan of Gaiman (sorry, but I just find his books hard to read, have tried American Gods and Neverwhere and am boooored), but this quote is nice. Different font though, this seems like someone's typed onto the shoulder, I'd use a font that's prettier. ;) I'm all for pretty tattoos.

I love Neil Gaiman but haven't read either of those. Have you tried Stardust? It is one of the most delightful fantasy stories I've ever read.

No I don't think I'd get that font either but for all that it's very striking and effective. If you saw someone with that on their shoulder, you'd just have to go up close and read it :lurker:

The elvish writing on yours is beautiful, I love it.

Edited by poppy

I saw someone recently with the entire text of the 'Footprints' poem tattooed on their back. It covered a pretty large chunk of skin!

There's an article on the Guardian's website about literary tattoos. The article itself isn't that interesting but the comments are good. If I ever got a tatt, I definitely like the idea of a literary one. I'd never be able to decide though!

And Lexie, that tattoo is gorgeous!

Edited by Kylie

I'd never be able to decide though!

You nailed my problem with tattoos. I have a hard time making decisions period, and then with something that's going on your skin forever.. and the feeling you'd get if it wasnt doen just right? Ahh.. It's not cheap you know. ;) hehe.

@poppy, nope not yet. Stardust I mean. I love the film, okay it's a bit too much humor for my usual books but at least it's more the thing I'd like.. It's just American Gods was the first gaiman book I'd got my hands on, and Neverwhere I'd got as a gift from a very dear friend.. I keep telling him I'll finish it one day, but for now I've only read half and all my other books tend to go first. I did like the series though, watched it cuddled up with him so that might have been the appeal, it was very very british, but then so is he. ;) But that did make me want to read the book, but I've never had this much trouble with that short a book. :lol:

I want SO many quotes tattooed on me.

I actually take a fairly uncommon (I think) view on my own tattoos (though I wouldn't encourage this in anyone else) - I think if I'm too worried about a tatt being just right, and worrying about decisions due to permenance - I'd never get anything done. At the end of the day, a couple mistakes or even a tatt I end up not liking - sure what harm? It's a memory. It's only skin.

Oh don't worry Nollaig, whereas that used to be my view on tattoos, now I have two, I think I'm changing my view. I am exactly like that, if worrying too much, I'll never get anything. That's why it took me 10 years and my dad dying and getting a memory tatt of him to get my first tattoo done. Id watch out for a tattoo on a location that's to obvious etc (though, I have one on my wrist now, but still that's easily covered) but I'm less strict now, now it's the money issue that limits my tattoo urges. ;)

See my tattoo/piercing studio's twitter;

Skinamatic

they're brilliant, the woman Kim's doing the piercing, the guy Marco's doing the tatts. He's amazing, great guy, love him, not my type, over 40 and tatts everywhere and stretched ears but really, the guy's got charisma. Mmm. And he's great at tattooing people.

I'd never be able to spend this much money on a tattoo for myself, I think now. All the back or soemthing? I'd LOVE a graceful tattoo (lines, celtic, elvish) along my spine, but it'd be soooo expensive.. spending 1000 euros on my back eehhhh nope.

That's beautiful Kelly - what colour where you thinking of making it?

I actually love the typed font of that Gaiman quote (as well as the quote itself, but then I'm a big fan of him as a whole), wouldn't mind something written in that typeface myself - on top of being a writer I'm one of those weird people who think in typed text rather than images, so for me it would be a joint expression of what I like doing most and the very way my brain uses to perceive the world.

The more I think of it, the more I'm wanting a line of verse along my writing arm. Need to decide what, though. Something I've written myself wouldn't be a good idea as my inner editor never goes on vacation so I don't want to ink a line on my skin for all time only to turn around and think, 'I could have said that better.' Whatever I end up choosing, it'll doubtless end up being about writing/language/imagination. I'll know it when I read it, I think.

I still really want my original quill & inkpot idea to happen and I still really want it on my writing hand, so I've reached a decision right now this second and I'm going to share it with you lot live. It's getting done - as a prize for when I get published. That way it will be sensible, explicable and (most importantly) deserved.

fallyoufly.jpg

I wouldn't get this myself but thought it was a wonderful quote. Neil Gaiman mentioned it in a blog ....it is a quote from his Fables and Reflections

Wow, its fab poppy! :)

I have posted it before, I hope you don't mind, I have the last sentence from 'The Wind Up Bird Chronicle' by Haruki Murakami ~

"In a place far away from anyone or anywhere , I drifted off for a moment." (the drifted off for a moment drifts off around my wrist) :)

Newtattoo.jpg

I'm considering (once I have some money) to make a few adjustments to one of my tattoos, its just a wee idea at the moment :)

I love yours Weave :) The quote goes so beautifully with the little girl safely entwined by the sleeping dragon. Lovely colours too. I just stumbled across a list of Haruki Murakami quotes. I haven't read any of his books but these show what an amazing writer he must be. I immediately thought of you when I saw them.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/3354.Haruki_Murakami

I love yours Weave :) The quote goes so beautifully with the little girl safely entwined by the sleeping dragon. Lovely colours too. I just stumbled across a list of Haruki Murakami quotes. I haven't read any of his books but these show what an amazing writer he must be. I immediately thought of you when I saw them.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/3354.Haruki_Murakami

Thanks poppy :friends3:

• 1 month later...

Just FYI in case people didn't know this: if you tattoo your lower back, they won't be able to give you an epidural during childbirth.

I don't have any tattoos, but I find them really romantic. I would love one that was small and secretive, and specific to me. My problem, as so many others have I'm sure, is that I can't find something that feels right. And I'm really not into body-altering much. I don't even have my ears pierced!

Just FYI in case people didn't know this: if you tattoo your lower back, they won't be able to give you an epidural during childbirth.

I was surprised at this and did some googling, most results I get is that it's not really the case.. if the tattoo is still healing and covers a large area, then ok, but they say once it's healed it's fine. Plus they could always make a cut so they wouldn't have to go through the ink.

Link 1

Link 2

And there's several like that. ;)

But I adore tattoos, just got my wrist tattoo touched up last week, first time healing made a bit blurry, but now it's clear again!

I just had a final look at the two tattoos I'm getting next week. :D One will be a sparrow on my left wrist (to match the Defy Gravity I have on the right wrist) and the second will be In Omnia Paratus (ready for anything) along the inside arch of my right foot. Only one week from tomorrow!

I just had a final look at the two tattoos I'm getting next week. :D One will be a sparrow on my left wrist (to match the Defy Gravity I have on the right wrist) and the second will be In Omnia Paratus (ready for anything) along the inside arch of my right foot. Only one week from tomorrow!

Whoo~hoo, new ink! :)

I am going to get some patterns added to the dates I have for my Ma and Da, and my wedding anniversary (I still think I look like a big ugly man with those ones 797711.gif), ach well, you live and learn :)

I was surprised at this and did some googling, most results I get is that it's not really the case.. if the tattoo is still healing and covers a large area, then ok, but they say once it's healed it's fine. Plus they could always make a cut so they wouldn't have to go through the ink.

Link 1

Link 2

And there's several like that. ;)

Whoopsies, I guess my knowledge on the subject is a little outdated. :) Definitely won't be spreading that to any more people!

clef 1.jpg

I've done it!!! Like this one, but darker, and with the quaver and semi-quaver pulled out slightly so they're not touching the clef.

It's still wrapped in cling film at the moment, but I will try to get DH to take a picture of it later.

He had one done too!