Tattoos!

Nollaig

She got one about 15 years ago and was scared to tell her Dad - she was 29 at the time! :D

I've broken the news to my Mum - she was surprisingly relaxed about the whole thing - I had braced myself for a lecture!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will be sure to post pics! :irked:

Not a word of this on FB though as I want to surprise my friend when I see her in August - she won't believe I've actually done it! :D

*pulls zipper across lips*

It'll be great :) If you're worried about pain you can always take a shot or two before you go :lol:

Best of luck Janet, can't wait to see it.

I've my next tattoo planned too, as it happens. It'll be something like this:

tattoo.jpg

It's actually the title of a Joan Of Arcadia episode, and the sentiment of the episode is similar to the sentiment it holds for me. That episode was inspired by this:

"Mature as he was, she might yet be able to help him to the building of the rainbow bridge that should connect the prose in us with the passion. Without it we are meaningless fragments, half monks, half beasts, unconnected arches that have never joined into a man. With it love is born, and alights on the highest curve, glowing against the grey, sober against the fire.

Only connect! That was the whole of her sermon. Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer. Only connect and the beast and the monk, robbed of the isolation that is life to either, will die."

- Howard's End by E. M. Forster

And if anyone mentions the quiz show, I'll put you out on the front door step.

:D I think I'd better stay sober or I might come out with "I love James May" tattooed across the top of my arm instead!

(He's one of my 'embarrassing crushes', Abby!)

No need to be embarressed here, Janet! I have no idea who he is *runs and hides*

That looks really cool, Noll! Its great to get something that holds sentiment for you. The only words I'd ever condisered getting were Defy Gravity (the song from Wicked... I have it across my right wrist so that I can remind myself to rise above anything) or Amor Vincit Omnia (love conquors all in Latin).

:D I think I'd better stay sober or I might come out with "I love James May" tattooed across the top of my arm instead!

Also, they warn you not to drink or take painkillers before getting a tattoo as it thins the blood and you bleed a lot more during the process.

I've my next tattoo planned too, as it happens. It'll be something like this:

tattoo.jpg

It's actually the title of a Joan Of Arcadia episode, and the sentiment of the episode is similar to the sentiment it holds for me. That episode was inspired by this:

"Mature as he was, she might yet be able to help him to the building of the rainbow bridge that should connect the prose in us with the passion. Without it we are meaningless fragments, half monks, half beasts, unconnected arches that have never joined into a man. With it love is born, and alights on the highest curve, glowing against the grey, sober against the fire.

Only connect! That was the whole of her sermon. Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer. Only connect and the beast and the monk, robbed of the isolation that is life to either, will die."

- Howard's End by E. M. Forster

And if anyone mentions the quiz show, I'll put you out on the front door step.

Noll, I like this :D

I like yours, Noll. I quite like the idea of some words too, but one step at a time, I think!

No need to be embarressed here, Janet! I have no idea who he is *runs and hides*

No need to hide, I didn't expect you to! :D He presents a programme called Top Gear.

Also, they warn you not to drink or take painkillers before getting a tattoo as it thins the blood and you bleed a lot more during the process.

Plus, my tattoo shop doesn't tattoo when you've drunk any alcohol, if they smell it they won't do it, guess both because of the bleeding reason and to cover themselves for someone coming back sober later and saying "how could you let me get this??". :D

But am curious as to how you'll find the tattooing process Janet, for me I liked it, but I was at a barbeque yesterday and this girl there said she'd passed out from pain three times while getting her lower back tattooed. Can't imagine that honestly. The stars might have been my tattoo then.. :lol: Still love it.

Janet I think the biggest part of it is NOT getting working up about it. If you go in scared and expecting the worst, you'll create the worst for yourself. I was nervous, but I asked the guy to jab me without any ink so I could just feel it and it was fine. After a while I forgot about the pain because I was too fascinated by watching him doing it. (My current tat is on my wrist, so it was easy to see.)

Thanks for all the advice. :D

Hubby and I popped in to look at the studio today. It looked lovely and clean and had lots of certificates etc up. It was recommended by a friend who had one done recently on her foot.

However, I bumped into a work colleague today who is on maternity leave and when I told her where I'm going she screwed up her nose and said she wouldn't go there as she's "heard bad things" (I didn't think to ask her what because I was a bit thrown by her comment) and recommended somewhere else, so now I don't know quite what to do!

Several people have told me about people they know fainting - it's not making the experience sound much fun, or doing much for my nerves, I must say...

Hearing bad things is USUALLY related to quality of work, and difference of opinion in that can come down to the individual artist who does the work. Some are better with shading, some are better with colour, some are better with writing etc. You can always ask them which artist would be best suited to your tattoo, but yours is fairly simple so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I've never met anyone or even heard of a friend-of-a-friend figure who has fainted during the process, and I know a LOT of tattooed people, including one who is terrified of needles and nearly didn't turn up. (She wanted it more for want it meant than for the idea of having a tattoo, but she got on grand, it barely hurt her and she was thrilled she did it.)

Janet - I can't offer much advice as I have not had a tat before, but I can offer you an encouraging hug if you'd like that instead :D?

Noll - awww, that passage is beautiful. Made me want to read some E.M. Forster NAO!

I need help:lurker: as you may know, I am in the (rather drawn-out) process of designing a quill tattoo to symbolise my writerly vocation. I would rather like to get it done across my right lower arm/wrist/hand for obvious reasons, except:

- I've heard tattoos on hands hurt like witches with bs

- I'm afraid of how it will look when my hand is old and wrinkly

- I wouldn't be able to hide it, i.e. for job interviews

Thoughts? Thank you :D!

In response to all three, here are my personal attitudes regarding my own tattoos:

I personally would never get my hand tattooed. I can't cover it. A simple sleeve or even a watch will cover a wrist tattoo.

When I'm old and wrinkly, I'm not going to look good anyway, so I'd rather have a few tatts and look not-good in style.

Pain - My wrist didn't hurt much at all. Nor did my friend's wrist. I don't know about hands, I wouldn't get my hand tattooed.

Also, I wouldn't get a quill that took up my entire lower arm/wrist/hand. Get a smaller one, a tattoo that big wouldn't look good unless it was more complex than a quill. You could easily get a nice quill that would fit on your wrist/lower half of your lower arm.

First of all, that sounds really cool! Do you have a pic or something of the sort of quill you want, and do you know if you want it in black or with some color?

Don't worry about when you're older. Look at most elderly these days, arms aren't all that horrible. If you were getting it on your boob or cheek, however, that would be a different story. Arms tend to just get a bit loose and liver spotted, a tat would probably be fine there.

Employers aren't as strict as they once were. I showed my new boss my wrist tattoo during my interview and asked him what the policy was. He actually seemed impressed by that (and there isn't one). So many people these days have visible tattoos or piercings, its a huge part of our generation's culture and gradually becoming more accepted in the workplace. Do what you want, because your dream isn't to work in an office anyway. Don't allow one to dictate something you put on your body for the rest of your life.

Hearing bad things is USUALLY related to quality of work, and difference of opinion in that can come down to the individual artist who does the work. Some are better with shading, some are better with colour, some are better with writing etc. You can always ask them which artist would be best suited to your tattoo, but yours is fairly simple so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I've never met anyone or even heard of a friend-of-a-friend figure who has fainted during the process, and I know a LOT of tattooed people, including one who is terrified of needles and nearly didn't turn up. (She wanted it more for want it meant than for the idea of having a tattoo, but she got on grand, it barely hurt her and she was thrilled she did it.)

Thanks Noll. I used to be terrified of needles but after being so very ill when I was pregnant (both times) I've sort of got over my needle phobia. Although I have passed out when giving blood, it's the thought/sight of the blood that does it rather than the needle or the pain!

Janet - I can't offer much advice as I have not had a tat before, but I can offer you an encouraging hug if you'd like that instead :D?

Thanks Giu - hugs always welcome. :D

This is my design. The quavers aren't quite as sharp as I'd like them drawn (I'm working on it) but it gives an idea of how I'd like it to look.

Tattoo1.jpg

Noll - it wouldn't be a quill on its own, the way I've envisioned it so far is a combination of a quill + cup of coffee come inkwell + the letters MBC (My Beloved Craft, which is the first poem I ever wrote about the art of writing) on a scroll wrapped around the quill.

Abby - I only want a simple black outline, no colour or shading; I'm having to try and draw it from scratch though because I can't even find a stock picture with the kind of quill I want. I do like your philosophy, sadly though reality will probably see me having to work in at office at least part time for the next couple of year so if I did go for the hand I might have to postpone the entire plan.

Janet - you're welcome. And, oooh, pretty!

Hand tattoos are becoming much more common these days, but you could always cover it with a bit of concealer if you're not allowed it for your job :D

A bit of concealer? You mean like, a huuuuge amount of concealer? Which would rub off on anything? :D

But I'd never get a hand tattoo, to think of it, my tattooist doesn't even do hand (or face) tattoos, simply because many many people regret getting those. I want a wrist tattoo too, but I'd never get my hand tattooed.

Yeah concealer doesn't work at all. Apparently you can get some kind of tattoo cover up, but I don't know much about it. Mine is on my wrist, but my old employers didn't even notice it. I tend to wear long sleeves and long sleeves cover it.

• 3 weeks later...

I always knew I wanted a tattoo but it took me years to finally decide on what I wanted and where I wanted it. I ended up getting it last December. It is the Phantom of the Opera mask (the complete one that appears on the poster) with a purple rose (since purple is my favorite color I thought it would be more me than having the red one). I have it on my lower stomach on the left side and it doesn't show. I am so happy I waited to get it since it is exactly what I wanted, being my favorite book and musical having it makes a complete geek and I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

So, my tattoo has to be, how you say, touched up? Friday the 13th hee hee. First touch up is free, and since always in the healing process some color disappears, I'll gladly go, even if it's not too bad for me. My mum's was worse. Am looking forward to it already, loved getting inked and even if it's just the touch up, I kinda like the feeling.. so yeah. Friday the 13th cometh. ;)

Also, have been hooked, thinking about next tattoo idea already. See, am fond of ancient keys. Like this:

r7n6md.jpg

Of course I don't have those old keys really, but I have lots and lots of jewellery with keys like this, always loved em, always loved keys. You know, doorway to anything, it matches a perfect lock somewhere. There's more, but too hard to explain. So am thinking about a tattoo like this, somewhere on my left wrist/forearm.. not a big one, just little. However, creativity and money is what I need. ;)