Tattoos!

Nollaig

Okay I KNOW I'm not the only one on here who proudly flaunts her bit of ink, and I know a couple people are planning to get some done.

So come share - what do you have, what do you want, photos, sketches, what are you unsure about, what's your favourite tattoo you've seen, favourite styles, favourite artists, favourite body part to ink, do you know any horror stories about a friend of a friend's second cousin's boyfriend who got one botched on holiday?!

Do tell all! :lol:

Edited by Nollaig

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sounds fantastic! I love flower or star tattoos that go all around an arm, or spiral around the body.

And I must admit, I like the 'To-Do:' list tattoo on that site!!

I have a song lyric on my right wrist (everyone knows this by now) which says, 'and some days all I do is Watch The Sky.' It's a big ole meaningful thing for me. To most people it says, 'wow she's a hardcore Andrew McMahon fan'. :lol:

I had one done on my upper left arm on my 18th birthday, I had always wanted one and got one as soon as I could without my father being able to moan about it.

It's an eye of a lizard/snake/dragon that is supposed to be looking through a wound on the skin. Every single person that has ever seen it has had to ask what it is :lol: in hindsight it is a pretty crappy design. I went through a phase where I wanted to get more in my early 20's but wasnt really willing to pay for anything worthwhile, they are so expensive!

I'm 30 now and kind of grown out of it, although I am not against having more done if the opportunity presented itself.

Hi everyone ;)

Great topic Noll :friends0:

I have a few tattoos, my right arm is mainly tattoos from Studio Ghibli movies, Totoro, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle and my rose and angel wings.

My left arm has 'Yosmisha reading', flowers, dolphin, a star and moon, another dolphin.

I have my starsign on my right shoulder blade, a dove on my left leg and a dolphin on my right leg.

Future plans ~

I am either getting a tattoo of a book with a design around it or a wee Ponyo (the main character from the latest Studio Ghibli film ~ 'Ponyo on the cliff by the sea' ;)

The best tattoo I have ever seen (apart from mines :lol:) is my friend's, he has a celtic design all the way down his arm :D

I'd love a tattoo but I always end up thinking "I could buy books with that money" or something similar. Although that isn't going to stop me ordering pizza tonight so maybe I should just stop thinking that way.

I was having that problem too (always do, when saving for anything), but mine was pretty spur of the moment. As in, I knew what I wanted, as I designed it and drew it out exactly as I wanted it about a year before that, but after my birthday in 2007 I just said 'screw this', went to town on a Wednesday, booked it for Friday, and didn't so much as think about it again until it was done. Which is incredibly unlike me - I'm terrified of needles and I went alone to get a tattoo. But it just felt right for what it meant at the time, and I still love it for that.

It's an eye of a lizard/snake/dragon that is supposed to be looking through a wound on the skin. Every single person that has ever seen it has had to ask what it is :friends0: in hindsight it is a pretty crappy design.

I love those designs, I've seen similar ones done with claws. Surely it's not that bad?? :lol:

Weave - thanks for posting all your tattoos, I commented on them before on your FB I think, they're all awesome ;)

Do you know any horror stories about a friend of a friend's second cousin's boyfriend who got one botched on holiday?!

Do tell all! :friends0:

Mines first :lol::blush: I got a tattoo done in Blackpool and it was an awful mess, it was supposed to be a circle and it was not a circle, I had a dolphin that looked like an egg, and to add insult to injury, the needle they used was clean but old, so it took ages to heal, then I went abroad, got sunburn, so it took another six months to start the cover~up (the dolphin is now under my rose and angel wings).

I had a friend that got his girlfriend's name tattoed on his arm, it was spelled wrong which unfortunatey led them to split up.

You did and if I forgot to thank you, sorry hen, I hope you don't mind me posting them all ;)

Not at all! Excellent contribution to my thread duly noted and greatly appreciated, plus it's nice to be able to see them without waiting for FB to slowly load them all ;)

I've seen some great similar designs, I was actively looking for one like it. I think I chose this one because I had been umming and ahhing for hours in the shop and it was the cheapest one:lol:

Looks like it was drawn by a first year art student

Mine looks like I drew it in black permenant marker, because it's my handwriting and a squiggly star (the logo of a band). But that was part of the point - something that looks temporary, like a fleeting thought at a glance but which is a permenant aspect of me. I thought way too much about it :friends0:

Mines first :lol::blush: I got a tattoo done in Blackpool and it was an awful mess, it was supposed to be a circle and it was not a circle, I had a dolphin that looked like an egg, and to add insult to injury, the needle they used was clean but old, so it took ages to heal, then I went abroad, got sunburn, so it took another six months to start the cover~up (the dolphin is now under my rose and angel wings).

I had a friend that got his girlfriend's name tattoed on his arm, it was spelled wrong which unfortunatey led them to split up.

Awww it can be difficult sometimes to tell how good a place is going to be. And different artists are good at different things, so sometimes there's an element of luck involved. I'm glad it didn't put you off getting more though, because you have a wonderful collection!

As for your friend - did he spell it wrong or did they?

Edited by Nollaig

Well. You KNOW I just was planning a tattoo right? I have none yet, I have several piercings (lip, tongue, 12 in my ears, including tragus and my bellybutton) but no tattoo yet. I keep changing my mind as to what I want, or I don't have the money, or whatever. But well. Ever since my dad got terminally ill, mom and me seem to want to have a tattoo with at least his name in it. I don't want "dad" tattooed cause I hate that, my dad's name was Leo. Mom recently got hers done. Rose with his name. Colored, hate it. But is her choice, is the idea that counts. So I THINK I am going to go to the shop tomorrow, and make an appointment to get four stars done (our family being one of four, even with dad not being here anymore), stars in Libra formation, his sign, plus his name.. on the back of my shoulder, on the bone.

I have a thing for tattoos on the bone.. spine, wrist, shoulder, hips etc.. I love it. No tattoos on fleshy bits for me. I don't care about the pain, they say it hurts more on bone, but I never worried about that, even with piercings, the pain's always added to the fun of getting them. I like me a bit of pain. :friends0:

Ehh, anyway.. too bad the shop's got quite a waiting list. For mom, we went on february 17th, and if someone wouldn't have cancelled, we would have to have waited till May. :lol: But I know the tattooist there is brilliant, I know his work. I had all my piercings done at that shop, they are great there. So worth a bit of waiting I guess. ;)

Cookie: your fairy is beautiful! Thanks for sharing! What colours are her clothes?

Univerze: Yup, twas you and Nightwish talking about tattoos that inspired this thread!

Your planned tattoo sounds beautiful, as I said earlier I love stars, and tattoos are all about personal sentiment for me.

My tattoo is on my wrist, but my wrist is quite fleshy, and it didn't hurt at all. It stung, and I wouldn't want to be sitting there for three hours getting it done, but beyond some scratching it didn't really hurt. I was amazed, because I'm so sensitive to pain.

Weave and Cookie, your tattoos are gorgeous!

I have on tattoo at the moment but want another on my left ankle/foot. My current one is just of stars and dots on my right forearm, I've had it about a year now.

@Nollaig: Is your tattoo on the inside of your wrist or outside? I'd love to have another on the inside of my wrist, actually I have these vague ideas for one on my left wrist (longish, small, sort of running up my arm, elvish design) and maybe one on my right, running from left to right. The stars on my shoulder would be nice since I might get another in the middle of my back (between my shoulder blades, and then up a little) and then it looks ugly if you have a huge one on your shoulder too..in my opinion. :lol:

Ideally, I'd like to get my whole spine tattooed too. But that's never gonna happen. I won't spend hundreds of euros on that, plus I will NEVER be able to decide what. *sighs*

They say tattoos are addictive, and it was that way for my piercings, though now I have all pierced what I want to, I'd like another tongue piercing behind the one I have, but that won't really fit, it would become a liiiiitle too busy underneath my tongue (and a friend of mine had 5 tongue piercings plus one under her tongue, don't know how she survived hee hee)..

But yeah, addictions cost money, and I am poor.

I have the Majesty symbol on my back, just below the nape of my neck. THe first pic shows the symbol, the 2nd pic shows its placement (I'm the blonde with the flower in her hair on the left).

My hubby has a matching one, slightly larger, on his left shoulder. We got them just before going to our first Dream Theater concert together - it's the band logo.

I plan to get a 2nd tattoo done as soon as I have the time and money at the same time - a small "X" for Xander on my left wrist. When I have another baby, their initial will be done on my right wrist.

post-49-127972303153_thumb.jpg

post-49-127972303155_thumb.jpg

I'd really like a tattoo on my ankle bone (of a bumble bee, methinks). Just a small one. However, a) I know it would hurt like **** having it done there, and :lol: at 43 I think I'm far too old to be getting a tattoo!

One of the girls I work with has stars on her inside wrist and they're gorgeous.

@Univerze: The inside. I ADORE inner wrist tattoos. So much so that I don't have enough wrists to get all the ones I want, and am not sure what to put on my left wrist. Thinking a picture to balance out the writing on the right?

@Kell: Awesome tat :lol: I'd love to get one there, and was thinking about getting my book based one there. (Not sure how I'll design my ultimate book tat, I have one design which is an Oscar Wilde quote in the shape of an open book, but I'll probably get something different.)

@Janet: You're never too old! My dad was in his thirties for his first two, and his mid forties for his third (and most involved piece yet).

However, a) I know it would hurt like **** having it done there, and :lol: at 43 I think I'm far too old to be getting a tattoo!

a) It doesn't hurt all that much really. I have a terribly low pain threshhold and it just felt like heat with an occasional slight wince as the needle went over the bone, but even that wasn't bad at all. No tears or anything from me and I cry easily when I'm ouchy!

:friends0: My Mam is in her mid-50s and got her first (and only) tattoo a couple of years ago when on holiday in Turkey.

I often find that people won't have tattoos because they think it's going to hurt. I am the biggest wimp ever and if they hurt that much I would have stopped at 1. When I had my second tattoo it only really started hurting after about an hour and and a half. Both my parents sat through 3 hour sessions but that's a bit much for me :lol:.

This is my second tattoo, on my right forearm. I picked this off a sheet that was up in the studio but the tattooist is amazing, he's designed a tatt for my mum and my dad and we all love his work.

post-1210-127972303157_thumb.jpg

I have the Greek comedy/tragedy masks on the bit between my back and my butt.....the way things are going it'll end up behind my knees. I got it done when I graduated 10 years ago.

I have a bar code with my son's date of birth on it, on my shoulder blade.

Quite fancy a clematis design next.

I was doing stand-up in a really rough pub in Accrington one night and I said that women in Accrington only have tattoos on the base of their spines to cover up the scars from when they had their tails removed at birth.......ooops. Had to make a quick getaway that night:blush:

Rach, your tatoo is lovely :friends0: Kell, I liked yours too :lol:

Like Noll, I do like wrist tattoos, I would like one the outside of my wrist at some point ;)