Vladimir Nabokov - Speak, Memory (Discussion)

muggle not

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWK!!:D That thread was the most fun I'd had on a forum!

And more insight into Lolita than I ever could have imagined on my own. :blush:

Really Timofey Pnin is the antithesis to Humbert Humbert. :)

Don't get me wrong it did look fun just, a bit intimidating to the uninitiated. Now that I'm such a VN EXPERT:lol: I could rock on that thread!!!!:)

Don't get me wrong it did look fun just, a bit intimidating to the uninitiated. Now that I'm such a VN EXPERT:lol: I could rock on that thread!!!!:roll:

Oh heck, you could "rock" anywhere. :lol:

I finished Speak, Memory tonight. Enjoyed the book but I do feel intimidated like some others did.:)

I finished Speak, Memory tonight. Enjoyed the book but I do feel intimidated like some others did.:roll:

Muggle, I am really happy that you enjoyed Speak, Memory, so in liking it, there was a connection, so why intimidated? Color me dense, but I don't understand.

To me Nabokov is a lot of things.....an intensely loving family man first and foremost...that colors everything in his life, he is passionate about his art, a sensualist by nature, used his marvelous sense of humor in ways other authors only dream of.....but intimidating? Oh, and I forgot, high-handed as the day is long. :)

And it's nothing to :lol: over either. Everyone is so different, even if tastes happen to coincide in places, it won't everywhere, even the very best of friends can't always agree.

After all, I couldn't get into your favorite.....Steinbeck, so.....:)

Muggle, I am really happy that you enjoyed Speak, Memory, so in liking it, there was a connection, so why intimidated? Color me dense, but I don't understand.

To me Nabokov is a lot of things.....an intensely loving family man first and foremost...that colors everything in his life, he is passionate about his art, a sensualist by nature, used his marvelous sense of humor in ways other authors only dream of.....but intimidating? Oh, and I forgot, high-handed as the day is long. :roll:

And it's nothing to :) over either. Everyone is so different, even if tastes happen to coincide in places, it won't everywhere, even the very best of friends can't always agree.

After all, I couldn't get into your favorite.....Steinbeck, so.....:)

I wonder too. :)

I certainly hope nobody is feeling intimidated here. Let that stay over there by all means!

And let's try to capture the friendliness over here on this side.

So, why "intimidated?"

I do agree with the friendliness here. I don't believe I have been on any forum that is as friendly as this one. However, I was never intimidated by the "child" on the other place. :lol:

I enjoyed the Nabokov book but I guess I was intimidated a little by his writing. I came to like Nabokov as a person and certainly as a writer, but kept feeling that I was inadequate in understanding all that he was saying in his book. In other words I felt that there was much more to his writings than I was grasping.............am I making any sense at all.

However, I was never intimidated by the "child" on the other place. :)

That is good to know. Really.:lol:

Originally posted by muggle not ........but kept feeling that I was inadequate in understanding all that he was saying in his book. In other words I felt that there was much more to his writings than I was grasping.............

LOL Muggle, that is par for the course with Nabokov, I know I don't get every nuance, but the more of him you read, the more is understood and the more it is enjoyed. He can be enjoyed on any and all levels, either the first couple or even deeper.

For example right now I am rereading Laughter in the Dark, his 6th novel...I'd decided to read them in order and had read this one awhile back, but thought I'd go ahead and reread. I am getting more out of it, and immediately having these "Ah Ha!" moments that I just plowed through before. And I certainly enjoyed reading it the first time, but even more this time.

Originally posted by muggle not....................am I making any sense at all.

Loads of sense muggle, in fact right on target. :roll:

The thing is with Nabokov, especially in his later books....he obliquely refers to other of his books, or his life, so there are definite connections between books.

That's why I thought Speak, Memory would be a good one to start with, as then you have certain references to work with when you read other of his books.