The Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman

Nollaig

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I read the first 80 pages last night and was already well into it. Would've read more but I really couldn't keep my eyes open any longer - too many late nights over the Bank Holiday weekend :D:)

Yay! off to a good start - I find with Coldfire that if you enjoy the first bit, you'll generally enjoy all of it. It's completely consistent from start to finish, so either you like it or you don't, and you seem to like it so YAY!

Yay! off to a good start - I find with Coldfire that if you enjoy the first bit, you'll generally enjoy all of it. It's completely consistent from start to finish, so either you like it or you don't, and you seem to like it so YAY!

Yay indeed :D

Actually, what you say about 'if you enjoy the first bit you'll enjoy all of it' applies to the Malazan books as well, and they're my faves, so I obviously have that sort of mind-set :)

Currently on Chapter 33 (page 310 in the US version :lol: ). Really enjoying it. Over the past year I've read a lot of EPIC fantasy, as in hundreds of characters involved in vast battles, lots of political intrigue etc etc. It's kind of refreshing to get back to a good old fashioned quest with only a handful of characters taking centre stage. I suspect that might change as the books progress but, at the moment, it's working for me :lol:

^^ Not your cup o' tea then?

I finished Black Sun Rising. I enjoyed it, although it hasn't left me immediately wanting more (which is a bummer, seeing as I have all three books :lol: ). I think my one niggle with it, in the end, was a lack of humour, and the characters didn't really come alive for me as a result. It seemed very serious thoughout. Not a bad thing most of the time, but a bit of levity would have had me eager to read the next one, I think. As it is, I think I'll read something else first :lol:

^^ Not your cup o' tea then?

I'm not sure if it is a general loss of reading mojo or this book in particular.

I finished Black Sun Rising. I enjoyed it, although it hasn't left me immediately wanting more (which is a bummer, seeing as I have all three books :) ). I think my one niggle with it, in the end, was a lack of humour, and the characters didn't really come alive for me as a result. It seemed very serious thoughout. Not a bad thing most of the time, but a bit of levity would have had me eager to read the next one, I think. As it is, I think I'll read something else first :)

I'm finding it pretty dry (as you say, some humour may have helped), and I'm still not warming to any of the characters.

• 2 months later...