The Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman

Nollaig

BSR.jpgWTN.jpgCOS.jpg

Genre: Dark Fantasy, mostly, which a touch of Science Fiction.

I want to start by saying that this is the single most awesome fantasy/semi-sci-fi series ever written, but unfortunately that's entirely subjective, so I'll stick to the classic method of trying to assess it critically.

What makes this trilogy special?

Firstly: it is set on another planet (Erna) in our universe, which humans colonized twelve centuries ago. However, they found something they did not expect: a natural energy field known as Fae. Fae is attracted to the cerebral workings of sentient minds and manifests as ‘Workings’ (magic) when used by trained minds (sorcerers or born adepts), or as ‘Fae-born’ or ‘demons’ when responding to conscious or unconscious thoughts. Most often, fear and nightmares create these sentient creatures. Notably, the more complex the mind, the more unstable the results of the manifesting fae, as there are more levels to respond to. (This doesn't even cover the types of fae, who can wield what, the types of magic that can be Worked, it's relation to various Religions and native species.) Overall its probably the most interesting approach to the existence of magic I’ve ever read anywhere, ever, period.

And secondly, in the words of Celia herself it is:

A Faustian drama of the highest stakes: two men drawn from opposing poles of the human spectrum, forced into an alliance that would change them both -- and their world -- forever. Forced to ally against an even greater evil, surrounded by sorcerous manifestations of mankind’s greatest hopes and darkest hungers, these two would test the boundaries Good and Evil as we know them, and explore that uncomfortable realm within ourselves where there is no black or white, only gray.
Damien Vryce & Gerald Tarrant. Everything comes back to this.

The former is warrior-priest of the Church of the Unification of Human Faith on Erna, a church designed by The Prophet to colonize Erna according to ancient Earth tradition, without use of the fae.

The latter is many things, but for those who haven't read the series, he is a malicious adept; seductive, charistmatic and wholly evil.

They truly are the heart and soul of the trilogy.

And don't even get me started on the actual PLOT.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note: These reviews and synopses contain no explicit spoilers, but you still might not want to read past the first one without having read the books, in the same way you wouldn't read the back cover of a later book in a series you're reading.

Book 1: Black Sun Rising

Synopsis:

Twelve centuries after fate first stranded the colonists on Erna, mankind has achieved an uneasy stalemate, and human sorcerers manipulate the fae for their own profit, little realising that demonic forces which feed upon such efforts are rapidly gaining in strength. Now, as the hordes of the dark fae multiply, four people - Priest, Adept, Apprentice and Sorcerer - are about to be drawn inexorably together for a mission which will force them to confront an evil beyond their imagining, in a conflict which will put not only their own lives but the very fate of humankind in jeopardy ...
As with all first books in a series, Black Sun Rising carries the burden of setting the scene, introducing characters, providing backstory and actually having a plot in there somewhere. Looking back, I'm not entirely sure how Friedman manages it all, considering the immense complexity of what she ultimately achieves, but hey, she does it. Right after a jarring prologue which leaves no doubt as to the dark nature of the book, the plot follows Damien Vryce as he journeys to restore the memories of power of adeptitude to his Pagan companion Ciani of Faraday. He travels with her close friend the apprentice sorcerer Senzei Reece and one further unlikely ally - the adept Gerald Tarrant whose past and motives are mysterious if not highly questionable (not to mention bloody fantastic). It's pretty obvious early on that the general adventure plot and some of the characters aren't highly original, but that really isn't the point. The point is the spin put on classic ideas, the development of characters it's impossible not to feel for, and the incredibly complex, multi-layered world of religion, magic, politics, history, culture, wildlife and good and evil. Besides, there are enough twists to keep anybody guessing. Traits which permeate all three books: They're beautifully written, intelligent, philosophical, often uncomfortably, darkly gothic, sarcastically hilarious and if not a little melodramatic then certainly epic.

Book 2: When True Night Falls

Synopsis:

Determined to seek out and destroy the source of fae-borne evil that is rapidly gaining control over Erna, Damien Vryce has renewed his dangerous alliance with Gerald Tarrant and together with Hesseth, a woman of Erna's native species, they will dare the treacherous ocean crossing to Erna's eastern continent. Even though the eastern continent appears to be a haven of stability and prosperity, this image of paradise masks and underlying corruption that threatens the very essence of the human spirit. The three are soon forced to flee south, into realms long since abandoned to the dark fae and it's creatures.
This book had the potential to be the most relaxed in the series, given that it is merely carrying the story from it's birth in the first novel on to the third novel where it must all be tied up. Well, it might have had that potential had it not been C. S. Friedman writing them. It's the longest book in the trilogy by a clear 70 pages (130 longer than the third) and the plot reaches it's most expansive in it. Gerald and Damien travel an incredible distance into completely unknown territory and the things they find there are wonderfully complex and exciting; a bit about adepts, a bit about life on Earth, a bit more about the nature of good and evil. The resulting plot twists and turns are as many and as unpredictable as the first installment's. I loved the support characters in this book, Jenseny (a little girl) and Hesseth (a Rahk introduced in Black Sun Rising). As a standalone book, therefore, it's an immensely rewarding read - it reveals almost as many new things as the first book introduced. But of course the heart of these books lies in the relationship between Gerald and Damien, the blurring of their respective moralities and the philosophical ponderings that result. Everything that needs to be advanced in this novel, is, in a subtle, credible way. Some strands are tied up, others are newly exposed, we win some, we lose some, and as always we learn some (those 'some' for the most part being amazing revelations about Gerald). Just like Black Sun Rising, despite the outwardly isolated nature of this book's venture, the universal implications run on, as an undercurrent of constant forward motion barrelling towards the finale.

Book 3: Crown Of Shadows

Synopsis:

A Iezu has declared war on all of mankind. Master of illusion, devourer of pain, he plans to remake the human species until mankind exists only to sate his unquenchable thirst for suffering, and omens of his triumph are already apparent. Nothing short of the demon's total destruction can save mankind from his unholy influence, but no one on Erna knows where the Iezu came from, and no man has ever succeeded in killing one. Faced with an enemy who may prove invulnerable, Damien Vryce & Gerald Tarrant must risk everything in a war that will take them from the depths of Hell to the birthplace of demons and beyond.
I cried. A lot. Do I need to say more? ....Oh, okay. Well, it's the shortest book in the trilogy, and to me felt more like an epilogue despite the fact that it does have it's own (relatively short) adventure in it. And granted, this adventure is the culmination of the prior two attempts at have at-ing the localized evils - it's the (extremely displeased) Big Bad waging war on all of Mankind. But somehow, that seems secondary to the (imo, real) countdown - to the final fates of Gerald Tarrant and Damien Vryce. Everything - literally, philosophically - has been building up to this final showdown of good against evil, and the line between the two will be drawn. One last time they travel side by side, to an inevitable doom, and one last time Friedman unleashes a multitude of incredibly mind-boggling twists and turns beyond all expectation. Twice I thought I had this end figured out, and both times I was so, so wrong. Every thread that needs tying from all three books is tied. Yet more (pivotal) secondary characters introduced, and like When True Night Falls, I loved them. This book is not only a masterpiece of storytelling perfection in it's own right, but it pays tribute to the legend built up in the first two. It is nothing short of epic. Edited by Nollaig

I didn't read your posts Nollaig because whenever I read spoilers someone has to die so sorry if I repeat anything you say.

Although I've barely started them so I doubt I will. I'm really enjoying the first one. After each page my mind is screaming "WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!?!?"

Just had the sailors get back to port after they each lost...something. Ooooh. And Chapter 7 where it has a flashback for the Patriarch. I loved the way Friedman did that. The whole

his fears coming true because of his natural talent and whatnot.

At least I assumed it happened because of that.

Can't wait to find out more about The Hunter and all that good stuff. This isn't a question I want answered but I wonder if he's the guy in the prologue. Or is that the new evil? Or is he someone else?!?! WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!?!?!?

The truth, my dear, will blow you away. Seriously. Come back to me when you have finished Chapter.... *checks* okay that doesn't happen til chapter 26, a bit later than I thought. Well, leaving das Hunter aside for now, he's a great character but wait until you meet Gerald Tarrant in chapter 15. Then come back to me and bounce around the room a bit with me at the excitement of it all. But chapter 25/26 is when the true awesomeness will hit you and you might explode.

I'm gonna start reading it again tonight and try to catch up to you, I want to read it again :)

Also, you're correct about the flashback, that is why it happened. Scary, innit? :roll:

Didn't have time to read quite as much as I wanted to tonight but I made sure I read up to Chapter 15 (could have done with going to bed an hour ago). *Bounces* Maaaan. The story's so good. I don't know. There are plenty of stories where you want to find out what happens but with this one it feels like there's so much to go over and try to work out. So many little mysteries. Tis satisfying.

Who's Gerald?!?!?! I like the way his coolness overcomes the not so coolness of his name.

Bedtime.

Gerald's name IS dodgy, I totally agree. But you really do forget how silly it is. Also, 'Tarrant' is pronouced 'tear-ant', as opposed to like, the Tarrant of the Millionaire gameshow. That helps him a teensy bit.

Also, look how pretty he is in my avatar :)

One of the best things, I think, about the series is that Friedman doesn't leave you behind - when you get to a point where something is supposed to click, she will make it quite clear what is meant to click, so if you miss or forget anything you won't be left behind. At the same time, they're very contextual books - now that I know the ending of the series, I imagine I'd pick up on a LOAD more my second read through.

I'm really thrilled you're enjoying the book :roll:

I thought I'd wait till I had got past Chapter 26 till I replied. I think I will probably wrap the whole of this post in spoiler tags.

Weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! I keep saying the same thing over and over in every post but the book's so exciting. It feels so epic already and it's only the first part in the trilogy.

It was nice to find out more about Gerald. I wondered if The Hunter was the Necount but I also wondered if the new evil was the Neocount so I can't say I guessed it really. It was just a possiblity. But I didn't expect The Hunter to be the Neocount to be Gerald. That was good.

Earlier in the book I wondered if the Neocount had been the Prophet but I thought that couldn't be possible since the Neocount's wife was talking about how the Church didn't accept him. Maybe I need to read the prologue again. So now I'm intrigued to find out what the big evil is!

If anyone who hasn't read the book reads that (and I would hope people wouldn't read spoilers) then I might make the story sound really convoluted. But it's not. Everything works and works well.

Haha it's great isn't it? Gerald is such a wonderfully complex character, and impossible not to love despite being evil. He's totally loveable isn't he?! You'll get a much greater sense of his personality before the end of the book, and many of Damien's ponderings about him makes for great food for thought. I haven't time to read it properly with you but I'm going to skim it and add any extra thoughts I have tomorrow.

What do you think of Senzei and Ciani? I quite like Senzei, though both he and Ciani are a liiiitle two dimensional. I tend to forgive it as they're secondary characters and Damien and Gerald share enough complexity for five people. Ciani kind of irritates me, but she's the only character in the entire trilogy who does so.

I love the Forest too.

There's a better explanation of such things in book two, but the whole creation and maintenance of an ecosystem is so cool. I wish there was more emphasis on it than there is overall in the trilogy.

What do you think of Senzei and Ciani? I quite like Senzei, though both he and Ciani are a liiiitle two dimensional. I tend to forgive it as they're secondary characters and Damien and Gerald share enough complexity for five people. Ciani kind of irritates me, but she's the only character in the entire trilogy who does so.

I love the Forest too.

There's a better explanation of such things in book two, but the whole creation and maintenance of an ecosystem is so cool. I wish there was more emphasis on it than there is overall in the trilogy.

Well Ciani was/is good at being what she needs to be. It's kind of difficult I think. At first she has to be the kind of woman who Damien could fall in love with and I think that's done well. But then because of the circumstances it's hard for Friedman to show why he'd continue to love her...kind of. Not exactly because if he stopped loving her he'd be an absolute barsteward. I just mean that

since her fun lively personality kind of goes for the most part it's hard to keep her interesting when she's an empty shell of the person she used to be. Although she still has her moments, especially after Gerald gave her the memories he took back with a little extra.

And as for Zen I like him so far. He has that little bit of darkness inside him and the lust for power. Leaves you guessing as to if he'll cave in at any point and how he'll react in certain situations.

What I actually love about Ciani is that

she (being an adept) has more in common with Gerald, than with Damien. Sure, Gerald is all for the Church of the Unification etc., but he doesn't exactly adhere to the rules - he acts like a Pagan - using any kind of fae at any cost because of the power it provides.

Zen is a great character, he really is the every-man, he's every person reading this trilogy and thinking fae is amazing.

He highlights the dark nature of power and the price involved in getting it. They all do, in their own ways. I love that darkness. I love how Zen and Damien struggle with it while Gerald and for a while, Ciani embrace it.

I also love Karril. He's a recurring character, and he really is awesome.

I actually cannot wait to debate the ending of the trilogy with you. It will boggle your mind. Actually, that goes for the second book too. The first book is only an introduction, really. Though it does have it's own greatly disturbing and epic moments leading up to it's finale.

Heheh. Hopefully it won't take me too long. I might read another book in between each one though to give me a break. Sometimes you can get bored of an author or their style if all you're reading is their stuff.

Sometimes I like a non-fiction read in between fantasy books.

Right. Bedtime. Gerald and co. will have to wait till morning.

Yeah, there was over a month between my finishing the second book and starting the third. A month is a bit much, but, it did me the world of good coming back fresh to Friedman's writing.

Goodnight :smile2:

The One Who Binds!!!!!!!!! Oooooooooooh. Exciting. I wonder who it is. If it's a character already mentioned. Don't give me any hints!

This isn't me asking questions. More a place for me to release my excitement to at least one person that cares (or at least knows) what I'm on about.

Was nice to see Gerald unleash a bit too. He had been a bit quiet with his talents for a while.

I like Gerald's talk as well. Kind of Satanic undercurrents.

His fall from grace and the fact that he's whatever he needs to be to different people. Although not to tempt them but to scare them so he can feed off it.

Have you read the bit in my signature yet? My sig is my favourite paragraph but those entire 3-4 pages of conversation on the hilltop are brilliant.

One criticism I (and many others) have of the novels is that you don't ever really get a clear view of Gerald's true nature - you get glimpses alright but there's always the suggestion that he's capable of so much more, sickeningly evil acts. That said, I found myself not minding too much - it was embedded in my skull that he was pure evil, so it was more seeing how that develops that I enjoyed.

Don't get too excited - book 1 is only the warm-up, and it's never THAT amazingly epic. I don't want you to be disappointed with it, is all. I doubt you will be, I mean, it's action-packed and twisty-turny, but not nearly as epic as the trilogy gets.

Ah yes I've just got past that bit. They've just left camp and are on their way to meet the enemy. That's the bit I was referring to with him sort of being...the opposite of a tempter I guess (I'm sure a better word exists than tempter).

That's a shame about not getting to see how bad he can really be. It's hinted at a lot but it would be nice if it could have been shown. To muddy the waters a bit. Damien hates him so much and is intent on not letting him live but Friedman has almost made him too likeable. So much so that you can't really agree with Damien as much as you feel like you should so it would be nice to see Gerald do something truly horrible. Maybe I'm just morbid :D

I hope his personality doesn't get diluted like Hannibal Lecter did. I'm not comparing the two! I just mean that Hannibal was such a popular character but to make it alright for people to like him it ended up being that he only killed "baddies" or people that deserved it.

I know what you mean about building up expectations. I try never to do it with films or books. Don't worry. Your enthusiasm inspired me to buy the books but it's the book itself that's getting me excited. If the end doesn't live up to the set-up it'll be the author's fault not yours :lol:

Oh don't worry, Gerald does some pretty mean things (morally mean) occasionally without telling Damien because he knows Damien will protest. When Damien finds out, he usually conceeds that such things are horribly cruel but necessary. He definitely kills innocent people throughout the trilogy, for his own purposes. Yay for gray area!

Also, Gerald can be horribly insensitive - he's easy to like but at the same time, he doesn't give a hoot about anyone, and WILL be harsh about other characters, which will make you want to give him a slap. If you want to risk freezing your fingers :lol:

Something I was thinking about as I was reading this morning:

So they're on this mission to restore Ciani to her former self. As a side effect this mission might wipe out some horribly evil creatures and help the Rakh too but the main point of the mission still seems to be to help Ciani. So bearing that in mind isn't it a bit low of Ciani (and Damien for that matter) to let Gerald send innocent Rakh to their deaths as part of one of his illusions just to save her? She's basically sacrificing loads of innocent lives just so she can be happy again. That's not to mention the lives Gerald is taking when he goes off to feed. I mean I know that's been the case throughout the whole story but it just sort of hit me after they sent those Rakh out as an illusion since they all looked to Cee to see how she'd react and she was pretty much fine with it. As if it was a necessary sarifice. A necessary sacrifice for her!!!

But anyway. Now Zen is dead, they've lost most of the Fire and Damien is about to fight a creature in a cave. Things are looking bad for our heroes!

It gets interesting, doesn't it? Evil enough for you? :D

Realistically at this stage I think it's gone beyond Ciani for them. She might be the original and main point of their mission personally but you have to bear in mind Damien's occupation is actually travelling around killing evil creatures. And they know there's something big out there, terrorizing the Rahk. The way they see it is that if they don't sacrifice a few now, the Rahk will suffer later for it.

Also, wasn't Zen's death awful? Poor guy :yes: When I first read it I fell for it, up until the point where he drank the fire and I thought 'this is too easy, the fire is supposed to cleanse, literally, not bestow power'. What a horrible way to die.

Wait til you find out what happens to Gerald :lol:

I sound like one of those people who always say they guess the endings of films but I was a bit suspicious when she came to him in the first place in the woods and then when she talked about taking the Fire I knew it couldn't be her. Plus all the "If you even talk to me about it at camp I'll have to pretend I don't know what you're talking about" stuff.

And since Damien had killed a fake Ciani before that was in my mind. Anyway I should go back to reading. I left Gerald with sunshine getting directed at his face by a mirror.

I'm just ridiculously gullible. I'll fall for absolutely ANYTHING.

Aha! That's what leads to Gerald's predicament. You're quite near the end now! :lol:

Go forth, and finish!

I want a xandu. Did I say that before? I want one.

Aaaand I'm done. Would have been done early yesterday but life got in the way of reading.

Loved it!

Hohum. I'll just put this in spoilers because I'm not sure what will give stuff away.

I like what happened to Gerald. I mean I like the way Friedman made it sound painful. That sounds so stupid. I know what I mean. Just that it actually felt like he ws in danger and in pain. Not like one of those characters where you know he's really just fine. And the fact he's just too stubborn to die. Coooool.

I'm hoping Calesta gets his face smashed in by Gerald.

Quite melancholy with Damien not getting the Ciana he wanted. Having gone through all that and he gets nothing. Just the knowledge that he's done good.

Looking forward to the next one! After I've had a break and read something completely different.

I started Black Sun Rising this evening, but am not looking too closely at the above due to the spartan use of spoiler tags!

First impressions: Certainly better than The Magician's Guild; more background and what looks to be a better premise, but it still appears to have some of the same flaws (I'll go into that later if they are actually borne out).