Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant

Ooshie

I had originally bought this book because I was looking forward to The TV Book Club on Channel 4; unfortunately, I thoroughly disliked the programme and only watched about 10 minutes of the first episode, but I have to be grateful to them for bringing this book to my attention!

The blurb on the back of the book describes it so:

"1570 in the Italian city of Ferrara. Sixteen-year-old Serafina is ripped by her family from an illicit love affair and forced into the convent of Santa Caterina, renowned for its superb music. Serafina's one weapon is her glorious voice, but she refuses to sing. Madonna Chiara, an abbess as fluent in politics as she is in prayer, finds her new charge has unleashed a power play - rebellion, ecstasies and hysterias - within the convent. However, watching over Serafina is Zuana, the sister in charge of the infirmary, who understands and might even challenge her incarceration.

I have enjoyed everything about the book - the writing style, the way the characters were brought to life, the storyline, and the descriptions of life in a 16th century convent. There is a reasonably long bibliography at the back, so I like to think that the historical details will be fairly accurate.

I would recommend "Sacred Hearts" to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, and I will be going on to buy more of Sarah Dunant's books. I hope you enjoy it too if you try it! :D

You know, I don't read historical fiction often, I am more of a fantasy/sci-fi/horror girl, but this book is on my wish list.. I don't know exactly why, but it seems like a great read to me. Think I'll see if our library has it though (probably not *sighs*) because I don't know IF I'll like it. :D