Self Help Books

Coffin Nail

It depends on what you term self help - I have read lots of spiritual books that have changed my life in many different ways - the first one I read was Susan Jeffers Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, which helped change a lot of things for me, also the works of Shakti Gawain when I was first 'on the path'. The ones that have had the most impact which I would not necessarily term as self help, are though the Conversations with God series, A Course in Miracles and A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle - that changed my perception of pretty much everything and helped me through some really dark times. Some of James Twyman's stuff is pretty good too.

I read "Fast Track to Happiness" by Lynda Field while being treated for clinical depression, and I did feel a lot better within a couple of days. Might just have been coincidence, but I do think it did help.

• 3 weeks later...
I've read a couple on meditation and they've helped me with my inbuilt ability to freak out which has helped me somewhat. I don't think I've read anything life changing though.

I second that. The books i've read on breathing techniques and developing strategies to deal with anxiety and panic attacks have enabled me to come off of Citalopram.

I read a Paul Mckenna book once called 'I can change your life' or something which I found useless, it came with a free hypnosis CD, but I coudnt listen to it without laughing, he sounded like an anonymous dirty phonecaller minus the heavy breathing.

I second that. The books i've read on breathing techniques and developing strategies to deal with anxiety and panic attacks have enabled me to come off of Citalopram.

I read a Paul Mckenna book once called 'I can change your life' or something which I found useless, it came with a free hypnosis CD, but I coudnt listen to it without laughing, he sounded like an anonymous dirty phonecaller minus the heavy breathing.

Maybe I should consider trying some of these if they worked for you. I've been on Citalopram for almost 4 years now, and at this rate I'm going to be on it forever.

Well done for coming off them! it's not easy :lol:

Maybe I should consider trying some of these if they worked for you. I've been on Citalopram for almost 4 years now, and at this rate I'm going to be on it forever.

Well done for coming off them! it's not easy :lol:

I was on only 10mg once a day for anxiety, for over 2 years though. They did the job, but I found that I have become a lot more insular since i've been on them, also that if I am having problems facing up to certain situations then I think I would rather find ways of dealing with that problem than masking it with drugs.

I have found relatively simple breathing techniques help quite considerably in managing panic attacks, if only Dr's would teach these to people before reaching for their prescription pad.

I have found relatively simple breathing techniques help quite considerably in managing panic attacks, if only Dr's would teach these to people before reaching for their prescription pad.

Definately - I practise meditation regularly and it certainly helps ! If everyone did it, the world would be much better place, as people wouldn't spend so much time in their heads, listening to their egos ...

• 3 months later...

I tried reading a book on natural ways to heal depression, but it didn't help me at all. It basically told me that I could "will" my depression away. Um...yeah right.

That does sound like a tad insensitive. Depression from my perspective (and experience) stems like most other things from the mind, that is to say, our thoughts. If we can learn to control or at least notice, our thoughts, and acknowledge that what we think is not who we are, then half the battle can be won. I know it's easier said than done, and like most other people I have my good and bad days, but understanding this does seem to help.

• 2 weeks later...

'The Lazy Mans Guide to Enlightenment' was shall I say, enlightening.

I drew alot from 'The Five habits of highly effective people' but would not consider myself effective by any means.

My most influential book was 'The 48 Laws of Power' By Robert Green (pocket version). Very historical, lots of great quotes (from the greats). It let me into understanding our Machiavellian ways and helped me identify those who manipulate and Deceive before they try it on me.

But the book I've tended to re-visit is The 'I Ching or Book of Changes' (Richard Wilhelm trans.) The translations are really rich. I only use it as an oracle, never read it cover to cover but as far as life changing is concerned, it has always helped re-direct matters of the heart and mind.

• 11 months later...

I'm not sure if it classes a 'self-help' but I recently read a book all about memory techniques and it has helped me a fair bit at work with things like names as well as being able to memorise lists. I think it has helped me feel better at work as there are lots of people who knew me by name and I had no clue and I always felt a little awkward but now I can remember their names and feel more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever read a self help book on any topic that has actually changed your life??

Hi Coffin Nail,

There a lot of books on the market about self-help. But where to begin is the question. What do you actually want changed in your life?

Terrie

I am reading books by Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, Suze Orman, Napoleon Hill, the Bible, Joel Osteen.

I don't think books will change us. If ever, they'll just open our eyes a little bit. Change the way you look at things and things change (Wayne Dyer). I have read self help books but I forgot about them now. I am into meditation for more than a decade and I haven't change that much, but things around me have changed a lot. Internally, I see myself more in control, starting everyday a new day and changing the way to look at things.

I think in the self help section if one book changed my life I'd never pick up a book again!, something that becomes a habit that does you good is more helpful and the theory is that it takes 28 days...I read self help books now and again...but don't buy them. I've been listening to Ekheart Tolle and reading 'Overcoming anger and irrtablity' by William Davis

• 6 months later...

Reading is not enough to change us. When you read is just makes us literate, comprehensive, and makes our brain works, thats it. Self help books are a guide, to take action is another stage. RIght now I am reading books about finance, budgeting, saving. Is this going to help me if I just read? I have to act and do it.

I also recommend self help books like Automatic Wealth by Michael Masterson. THis is mostly finance topics and how you could help yourself to have automatic wealth. I like this book because it helped me define how to organize my long term goals, medium, and short term goals. It puts more sense into organizing a step by step approach for an ordinary people to handle finances. Other authors would try to just elaborate and discuss more on the importance and need for saving, but thats it. Other authors earn their money because they talk about money but they never make money other than giving lectures.

• 6 months later...

I've read some self help books and find some bits helpful but others annoying. Do you think they're a good thing? I do like the ones that can introduce a new hobby to you especially the arts and crafts ones. When it comes to emotional health I find these books embarrassing to be seen with even if they can be helpful. I can't see myself ever boasting about those books. What are your views on this?

Hmmm, I've never read a self help book as such but I have a little book about ways to stay calm and chilled (someone obviously thought I needed it). I've found it useful at times just for hints and tips but I can imainge well written and sensible self help books can help some people :) it all depends on the type of person you are I suppose

I can't get myself to read them - I find them dreadfully tedious and "on-a-mission-to-dish-out-wisdom" which instantly puts me off.

I find myself more inspired by reading fiction, and picking out bits of wisdom, life-lessons and truths which are intertwined in the narrative.

These gems have a way of influencing me more than an out-and-out self-help book.

I think they can be useful. Sometimes a new way of looking at things, a different approach etc can be of real benefit.

We can all get stuck in a rut in our thinking and some of the better written books can help shake things up in a positive way.