The Warlord Chronicles -The Winter King - Bernard Cornwell

Smokeman66

The Winter King is the first BOOK in this Arthurian Tirology by Bernard Cornwell, like other Arthurian tales it is set around 500 A.D in post Roman Briton, and tells of the struggle by the native Britons, against the invading Saxons/Angles -as well as the petty disputes between the exisiting British kingdoms and the clash between the old Druidic religion and the Newly arrived Christianity.

Unlike other books though, this Arthur is presented as a Pagan, there is no holy grail, age of chivalry or Camelot Castle, none of which existed until the middle - ages. also Arthur is not a 'King' but a Warlord, with a Loyal following of cavalry, not medievel Knights.

The story is written as if it took place in Dark Age Britain as described in the original Welsh legends, with appropriate types of technology, culture, warfare, and attitudes. Cornwell also weaves later mythological additions such as Guinevere and Lancelot into the plot.

The protagonist of the series is Derfel Cadarn (pronounced Derv-el), a Saxon brought up as a Briton by Merlin, the greatest of all Druids. In the course of the story, Derfel becomes a great warrior and one of Arthur's lieutenants in his war against the Saxons. Merlin, meanwhile, concerns himself with trying to restore the old gods of Britain.

Among his fans, The Warlord Chronicles is often considered to be among Cornwell's best work, being acclaimed for both its storytelling qualities and its accuracy in portraying contemporary life. Cornwell himself has said, "I have to confess that of all the books I have written these three are my favourites."

For fans of the series, Cornwell's portrayal of Merlin as a lecherous, driven, mischievous and irreverent druid is particularly memorable, as is his unflinching descriptions of Dark Age barbarities. Also interesting is his solution to the problem of integrating the magic of the Arthurian mythos in the context of historical fiction: he leaves room for the reader to take the "magic" depicted in the story at face value or to interpret it as a mixture of coincidence, psychology, and primitive technology

I would strongly reccomend this book to anyone who enjoys "A well told tale :) " and as I have said before - Bernard Cornwells research is "second to none" :badmood:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I may take a look at this when I have a hole in my reading. It seems to be well liked amongst most people and it has been recommended to me several times now. (although some people are more persistant than others :motz::dunno: )

I am definately more interested in picking up one of these books now than I was a year ago.

• 4 weeks later...