Looking for a book

Depending on your age, I'd highly, highly recommend The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's about a nerdy guy (Quentin) who feels rather out of place in life and thinks he'd prefer to be in the land of his favourite fantasy series, Fillory. When his tutor is suddenly found dead, he gets an invite to Brakebills school of Magic. It's only one novel but it spans several years and personally I think it's great.

BUT, it's not a Young Adult novel. Not by a very long stretch. In parts it's crude, dark, depressing. It's truly an adult novel. If that sounds like your kinda thing, trust me, it's an awesome read.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm depressing books is the last thing i would want, the book does not need to be aimed at young adults tho. I just like the college-university scene.

Overall im just in for a good story, but if theres one thing that can catch my heart its always a bit of magic, a sip of romance and a touch of danger.

I also prefer stories to take place in a time near or similar to our own, medieval is something I had too much of as a kid, sending it to backfire on me when choosing a book.

Best would be an audio-book as I can listen to that during my mind numbing work.

Some i

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's possibly a bit of an older read, but there is Poison Study, Magic Study and Fire Study by Maria V Snyder. The forst book starts by introducing the main characters but then she starts to learn more about magic and so forth. Quite a good read.

If it's just teen romace/high school/supernatural things you are after, there is always the Twilight saga by Stephanie Meyer, or a new series I'm just starting called The Immortals, the first book called Evermore.

I can't believe I didn't think of this before - Gregory Maguire's Wicked, a retelling of The Wizard of Oz from the viewpoint of the Wicked Witch of the West, is quite magical and is for a large chunk set in a university. It's an absolutely beautiful book, there are a few adult moments but nothing worse than I was happily reading as a teenager.

The House of Night series by P C & Kristin Cast might be suitable. It's a vampire school but vampires actually only play a small part, mostly magic and worship of the goddess.

I also think that these would be perfect for you! I love them and can't wait for the latest installment to arrive!