Robert Merle - Malevil

pontalba

Malevil by Robert Merle

Written 1972 and translated from the original French in 1973.

Although written in the early 70's, there is nothing dated about this tale of survival under the worst conditions possible visited on the planet. Most are familiar with this sort of novel. Odd pockets of civilization survive the ultimate destruction. A battle that gives no warning, no vibes at all. There were no preparations to make, because Who Knew?, which is probably the most..."democratic" way to begin. With people that happened to be together in a safe place at the right time.

Very little of the story is devoted to the Before Time. We are given snipets of information about the participants in the survival, but the greatest part of the book is dedicated to the emotional, physical, and yes, the spiritual survival of the members. And I use the word 'members' very seriously. These people are members of the new civilization, a civilization that must be very careful in the directions it takes and the choices it makes as well as the battles it must fight.

The main protagonist Emmanuel is one of the strongest characters I have encountered in fiction. It is his personality that makes the book work IMO. His courage and decency form the pattern of the new path they must travel. And yes, it is a love story as well, although not in the way you'd think.

This book is in the top ten of my favorites of all time, I have reread it.....I don't really know how many times. Just recently I've begun it again, and was surprised. How many "end of the world" books do you know that begin with an analysis of Proust's madeline scene? I'd not attempted Proust the last time I read this book, so I had my laugh out loud moment, and sigh for the day.

This book has all the ingredients...mystery, love, battle scenes and intrigue and yes, sadness and longing as well. One of the few books that no matter how many times I read it, there are still scenes that can bring tears to my eyes.

So, if you can find this book, buy it and enjoy!