Looking for a book like Silent Hill

Hello everyone,

I don't think that books creepy and macabre like Silent Hill games (or the movie, but it's the same kind of atmosphere) exist, but I'm looking for a book who could be scary like it (with a strange sense of poetry, if you see what I mean :lol:).

Have you ever read a book who reminded you of this atmosphere? There's no need to have seen monsters in it, I think I'm only searching scary books after all. :D

So, as I am in my Silent Hill period (although I'm too scared to play more thant two minutes :friends0:), I'm looking forward horror in a novel, now! Hope I won't be too scared by it. :lol:

Thank youuu!

Ring by Koji Suzuki has a little air of the mystique and atmosphere about it, Dracula by Stoker, especially the presence of foreboding which the opening part has.

The Mist by Stephen King has slowly building dread, though for overall creepiness I suggest that anything by Lovecraft stands out. Try to get your hands on the unedited versions of the stories (i.e. anything not edited by Derleth).

Ring by Koji Suzuki has a little air of the mystique and atmosphere about it, Dracula by Stoker, especially the presence of foreboding which the opening part has.

I heard that the Ring movie was a major departure from the book. Is this the story with a group of kids in a cabin and a tape? I remembered my brother briefing me on the plot but a quick google search shows that my memory might be shot.

Oh yes, Ring was streamlined and dumbed down for a mainstream film audience to be 'entertained' :smile2: The book's narration is interesting enough and doesn't rely so much on the cheap scares of the film adaptation.

Oh yes, Ring was streamlined and dumbed down for a mainstream film audience to be 'entertained' :smile2: The book's narration is interesting enough and doesn't rely so much on the cheap scares of the film adaptation.

Good to hear as I have this on my to be read very soon list. Had the book long enough, it's about time I read it.

• 2 months later...
It may surprise you but The Road has a very eerie and macabre atmosphere attached to it, all ashen skies and deserted cities. Has a very unworldy feel to the whole tone of the book.

You kidding? I thought it was dull and very little about it was unnerving, so little actually that I remember not much of it, if I have to describe what stuch by me best of that book is "grey".. landscapes, people, and, unfortunately, also grey as is kinda boring. That's just me though, have heard loads loving it.

I have to agree on H.P. Lovecraft. He has the same atmosphere of other-worldliness, things that are so horrible they ruin the mind forever. I don't like there are just short stories by him, but they are good none the less.

IT is an amazing book... very scary. I read it when I was quite young, had nightmares... You should read it!

How did you find the short stories in Everything's Eventual??

I tried to find "It" of Stephen King in a bookcase, but I only found Everything's Eventual. I'm not forced to read it from the beginning to the end, I feel less culpable. :D

I finished 1408 then saw the movie, and yes it can change if you're a morbid or an optimistic reader. Something tells me that it's not what you meant, sorry if I didn't understand your sentence. :lol: This is the first time that I read "how a story changes between drafts" so I must me wrong!