Help me please!

Hi im currently in sixth form at school and doing all science subject so never been into books and never really read any unless I had to for school but I have recently found an urge to want to read more but I have no idea what to read just read Angels and Demons and just started Da Vinci code only because I have seen the films. Does anyone have any suggestion for a newbie

First of all, :D to the forum and the fantastic hobby of reading! I hope you enjoy it. :D

If you could narrow down your topics a bit that would be great as it would enable us to come up with something more to your taste. I know you've read Angels and Demons, is that the type of thing you're after? A lot of recently released films have been based on books for example, The Time Travellers Wife, The Lovely Bones and not forgetting Twlight & New Moon of course! :D

I myself am a fan of crime thrillers and horror with the odd good chicklit and will be happy to recommend some to you in those genres if that's what you're after :D

Good luck! There are loads of members who will come up with some brilliant book suggestions for you!

I found the Count Of Monte Cristo surprisingly good, I normally have a hard time with the classics. Harry Potter is a must read of course, and The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I've read the twilight saga too but I think the Host was better.

I have read The Da Vinci Code and although I personally didn't like it, I have really enjoyed some other books which are a similar style and fast paced thrillers. I'd recommend Sam Bourne's books The Righteous Men, The Last Testament and The Final Reckoning. I'd also suggest trying Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, which was a good page turner.

What about trying some of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories? There are novels and short stories and they are surprisingly addictive. (I can also recommend the recent movie which isn't really like the books but true to Holmes in spirit, I think.)

A terrific novel with a bit of a fantasy/science background is Christopher Priest's THE PRESTIGE. This was also a fantastic movie.

Welcome to the forum!

What about trying some of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories? There are novels and short stories and they are surprisingly addictive. (I can also recommend the recent movie which isn't really like the books but true to Holmes in spirit, I think.)

QUOTE]

Try the 'Wordsworth Classics' edition of Hound of the Baskervilles and see if you like it. Ordering online, it's terribly cheap (about 3 euro's on Book Depository) so it's very low risk. Enjoy :lol:

Maybe The End of Mr Y by Scarlet Thomas, it's a kind of crime story with different dimensions, I found the sciencey bits went a little over my head, but the height of my science knowledge is GCSE level, but I still really enjoyed it.