Liz's 2006 Book List

Liz

Haven't had much time this past week to read, but I've finally got around to finishing Breakfast at Tiffany's. Really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the film, but after reading the book I wouldn't mind seeing how they made a film out of it. The other short stories in the book were ok. I was not too impressed with A Diamond Guitar - thought it was a bit of a pointless story. But, I enjoyed the other two.

I'm now going to move on to The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished off The Talented Mr. Ripley during the early hours of this morning. Thought it was a fantastic book! Enjoyed it very, very much. The book is far better than the film, I thought. I'm definitely going to try the other books in the Tom Ripley series. :blush:

Anyway, I'm going to have another read of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I read it about 18 months ago and quite enjoyed it, so fancied having another go at it. I wasn't too impressed with the film version last year, though. Didn't seem quite right, somehow.

THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY

DOUGLAS ADAMS

On Thursday lunchtime the Earth gets unexpectedly demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass. For Arthur Dent, who has only just had his house demolished that morning, this seems already to be more than he can cope with. Sadly, however, the weekend has only just begun, and the Galaxy is a very strange and startling place.

THE RESTAURANT AT THE END OF THE UNIVERSE

DOUGLAS ADAMS

When all questions of space, time, matter and the nature of being have been resolved, only one question remains - "Where shall we have dinner?"

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe provides the ultimate gastronomic experience, and for once there is no morning after to worry about.

LIFE, THE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING

DOUGLAS ADAMS

In consequence of a number of stunning catastrophes, Arthur Dent is surprised to find himself living in a hideously miserable cave on prehistoric Earth. However, just as he thinks that things cannot possibly get any worse, they suddenly do. He discovers that the Galaxy is not only mind-bogglingly big and bewildering, but also that most of the things that happen in it are staggeringly unfair.

SO LONG, AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH

DOUGLAS ADAMS

Just as Arthur Dent's sense of reality is in its dickiest state he suddenly finds the girl of his dreams. He finds her in the last place in which he would expect to find anything at all, but which 3,976,000,000 people will find oddly familiar. They go in search of God's Final Message to His Creation and, in a dramatic break with tradition, actually find it.

MOSTLY HARMLESS

DOUGLAS ADAMS

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has, in what we laughingly call the past, had a great deal to say on the subject of parallel universes. Very little of this, however, at all comprehensible to anyone below the level of Advanced God and, since it is now well-established that all known gods came into existence a good three millionths of a second after the Universe began rather than, as they usually claimed the previous week, they already have a great deal of explaining to do as it is, and are therefore not available for comment at this time....

Are you enjoying the Douglas Adams, Liz? We have the full radio play (all 5 phases) & listen to it at night all the time - excellent stuff. :blush:

Yeah, I am enjoying reading the Guide again. I find it's one of those books that you don't have to concentrate on too much, so it's easy to pick up for a short while and not have to have marathon reading sessions to understand what's happening and get into the story and style.

I haven't read any of his other books, though. But I'm not sure if I want to. I like the Guide, but I think that would be about it - the Guide doesn't make me want to read any others of his.

I haven't read any of his other books, though. But I'm not sure if I want to. I like the Guide, but I think that would be about it - the Guide doesn't make me want to read any others of his.

I thought the same Liz, until someone convinced me to read the Dirk Gently books. They are quite different, but equally funny and easy to read.

I thought the same Liz, until someone convinced me to read the Dirk Gently books. They are quite different, but equally funny and easy to read.

I've heard a bit about them, but not an awful lot, so I'm not quite sure what they're about.

Dirk Gently is a Private Investigator. Only his methods of investigating are not exactly conventional.

I haven't got my copies here, so I can't quote the blurb. Just tried a google search and it looks like everyone else has difficulty describing them as well - I think they need to be read to be believed.

Finished off my second read of The Guide. Still enjoyed it, which is good. Sometimes re-reading a book can give you a different opinion on it. The first three are my favourites. The final two are good, but they seem to have been written for the sake of it. They don't spoil the story, just drag it out for a little longer.

Next..........

In Full Circle, his third expedition, Michael Palin travels for almost a year through 18 countries bordering the Pacific Ocean, encountering some of the most politically volatile and physically demanding places on Earth.

Surviving lunch with head-hunters in Borneo and a meal of maggots in Mexico, he travels around the perimeter of the world's largest ocean in this spectacular journey of contrasts, drama and beauty. Whether scaling the Exalted Mountain in China, dodging icebergs in Chile or being taken short on the banks of the Amazon, Palin can always be relied upon to be the perfect travel guide.

FULL CIRCLE

Michael Palin

• 2 weeks later...

Finished off Full Circle at 5:00am this morning. Have really enjoyed Palin's travel books, and this one was no exception. Look forward to reading the next one.

After watching The Hogfather the other night, it has put me in a bit of a Pratchett mood.

So now I will be starting.......

REAPER MAN

Terry Prachett

Death is missing - Presumed....er....gone.

Which leads to the kind of chaos you always get when an important public service is withdrawn. Meanwhile, on a little farm far, far away, a tall dark stranger is turning out to be really good with a scythe. There's a harvest to be gathered in....

Now moving on to ......

WITCHES ABROAD

Terry Pratchett

It seemed an easy job... After all, how difficult could it be to make sure that a servant girl doesn't marry a prince?

But for the witches Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick, travelling to the distant city of Genua, things are never that simple...

Servant girls have to marry the prince. That's what life is all about. You can't fight a Happy Ending.

At least - up until now....

Now moving on to .....

Small Gods

Terry Pratchett

In the beginning was the Word.

And the Word was: "Hey, you!"

For Brutha the novice is the Chosen One. He wants peace and justice and brotherly love.

He also wants the Inquisition to stop torturing him now, please....

Finished the last few pages of Small Gods this morning.

Really enjoyed this one. Thought that the god Om was very funny.

Think I may have a break from Terry Pratchett books for the moment and read something else. I'll go and have a little look on the shelf.

I have decided to go for something that I didn't think I would ever read, possibly due to watching the film version of it and not really enjoying the story. A few people I know have read the book and have all given mixed opinions. Some seemed to really enjoy it while others seemed to hate it and felt the story to be "pointless". I've been persuaded to give it a go and see whether I enjoy the story more (if enjoy is the right word) than I did the film. However, I'm not exactly looking forward to reading it.

A Clockwork Orange

Anthony Burgess

In Anthony Burgess' nightmare vision of youth culture in revolt, fifteen-year-old Alex and his friends set out on a diabolical orgy of robbery, rape, tortue and murder. Alex is jailed for his teenage delinquency and the State tries to reform him - but at what cost?

Finished it this morning, and I have to say that I wasn't really that impressed by it. Maybe it was because I had seen the film before reading it, so I was picturing the scenes as I was reading them rather than imagining them myself. It took some time getting used to the style it was written in, and also because it had its own language (Nadsat), I had to find a dictionary of it so that I could understand what was going on. Some of it you could guess what it actually meant, but a lot of it you had to look up. It was good the way it was split up in to three parts to define the three differsnt stages of the main character's life and story. However, I still didn't enjoy it that much. Maybe it will be one of those books that I will come back to in a few years and will have a diffferent opinion on it.