Liz's 2006 Book List

Liz

Three Men in a Boat wasn't too bad - a nice quick read.

I'm now moving on to The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark. I've seen the film, so I'm going to end up seeing Maggie Smith all the way through reading the book.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoyed The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. One of my favourite reads this year.

Just started Little Women. About to start chapter four, and so far I'm not hooked by it. Maybe it will grab me later on in the book.

Didn't feel too good today, so stayed at home. Ended up doing a bit of quiet reading and managed to finish off Moving Pictures. It was really good - enjoyed it very much.

Have you read Soul Music? It's of a similar ilk, but with music instead of film. Very good. :dunno:

Hope you're feeling much better now.

Yeah, I'm feeling a little better today, but I'm still not 100%.

I'm reading the Discworld series in order, so I haven't reached Soul Music yet. I've seen the cartoon film of it and really enjoyed that, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

Finished Little Women this evening. It was ok, but not the best book I've read. It just seemed a little too nice. All the girls were very nice and were nice to each other. Everyone and everything was just too nice.

So, I've decided to move on to The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. Hopefully this will not be all nice and pretty.

Quite enjoyed The Turn of the Screw in the end. It took a few pages before I really got into the story, but it was worth reading.

Going to move on to another Jasper Fforde. This time I'm on Something Rotten, the fourth in the Thursday Next series.

Something Rotten was better than the previous Thursday Next book. It seemed to have more of a story in it, unlike The Well of Lost Plots that seemed to take a while before anything really happened.

I'm now going to have a go at The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I've seen the film (most people have), so I'm going to see whether the book's any good.

Finished Oz the other day. I think it's quite a sweet little book. A great Children's Classic.

I'm now going to read another children's book, The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. I loved the characters in Terry Jones' film (Eric Idle as Rat, Terry Jones as Toad and Steve Coogan as Mole). So, I think I'll give the original story a go and see what it's like.

I ADORE The Wind in the Willows! I still have a lovely hardback copy I was given when I was very little & it still gets re-read now. Speaking of which, i think it must be coming up to time for a re-read again very soon...

I remember reading Wind in the Willows when i was in junior school (which was only (ahem) a couple of years ago! :D ). I loved it, and it is definately one of those books you can read over and over again. :)

ARRRGGHH.....:)

This is beginning to get on my nerves a bit. I cannot seem to get past the first page. I read a sentence or two and then walk off and get a drink or do something else. I'm not sure why I'm finding it so hard to concentrate. I know I haven't read enough to see whether I'm hooked or not, but usually I can read at least the first chapter or so. I'm never this bad with a book.

Hopefully this is only a temporary thing. I'm really enjoying a bit of reading at the moment.

:roll::lol:

Found a book token this morning where the use by date is the end of October. Well, what could I do! It would be wrong to let that token slip away. So I toddled off down to Waterstones and bought a few books.....

Different Seasons ~ Stephen King

To Kill A Mockingbird ~ Harper Lee

Rebecca ~ Daphne du Maurier

To be honest, I thought I already had Rebecca - but after a few hours of hunting about it looked as though I hadn't got it after all. Well, at least now I know I have it.

Felt as though I needed some fresh air this morning, so off I toddled round town. Big mistake! Ended up going into WHSmith.

Came out with.......

The Shining ~ Stephen King

The Thirty-Nine Steps ~ John Buchan

Breakfast At Tiffany's ~ Truman Capote

Catch-22 ~ Joseph Heller

Looks like I'm going to have to find some more space now! :)

Finshed off The Thirty-Nine Steps this afternoon.

I wasn't too sure about it when I first started it - wasn't sure if it was my kind of book. However, I really got into it at about 1/3 of the way through, so it turned out to be ok in the end.

:smile2::lol:

Finished off The Shining this afternoon. Really enjoyed it and thought it was excellent. Definitely a 10/10 read. I think I prefer this S.K. book to The Green Mile.

I'm now going to move on to Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote.

The copy I have also has three other short stories:

~ House of Flowers

~ A Diamond Guitar

~ A Christmas Memory