Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin

Readwine

Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin

Blurb from Amazon:

Starred Review. Benjamin draws on one of the most enduring relationships in children's literature in her excellent debut, spinning out the heartbreaking story of Alice from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Her research into the lives of Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll) and the family of Alice Liddell is apparent as she takes circumstances shrouded in mystery and colors in the spaces to reveal a vibrant and passionate Alice. Born into a Victorian family of privilege, free-spirited Alice catches the attention of family friend Dodgson and serves as the muse for both his photography and writing. Their bond, however, is misunderstood by Alice's family, and though she is forced to sever their friendship, she is forever haunted by their connection as her life becomes something of a chain of heartbreaks. As an adult, Alice tries to escape her past, but it is only when she finally embraces it that she truly finds the happiness that eluded her. Focusing on three eras in Alice's life, Benjamin offers a finely wrought portrait of Alice that seamlessly blends fact with fiction. This is book club gold.

This was quite an interesting read as I knew next to nothing about the real Alice Liddell and Lewis Carroll. It is primarily set during the second half of the nineteenth century and stylistically it reflects this period. The language is lovely and it harbours great sentimentality and detail of emotion. I had a little trouble believing the emotional maturity of a seven to ten year old child as described by Benjamin, but soon took it for what it is and enjoyed the development of Alice