An Arthurian legend-based book I once read...

Year ago I was given a book by a friend. I no longer have the book and I can't remember the title or the author. The book was part of a series (I suspect it was the 2nd or 3rd actually).

THe basic premise is that Lady Morgana/Morgan le Fay is in Avalon after the death of Arthur. The bodies of Arthur's dead knights (known as the Merlins) continually wash up on the shore where they are desecrated by the women who live on the island (there are only women on the island). THen one day a man washes up who is not dead. Morgana takes him as her lover but then realises he is (now here's where my memory goes a little fuzzy, so I may be wrong) her own son Mordred who, by her own figuring of time was only born a short while ago, so time must be passing differently away from Avalon. She then (I'm still hazy on this) becomes pregnant and gives birth to the new Arthur.

I think it had "Queen" in the title, but I can't be sure.

The hardback cover of the copy I had was a mid-maroon colour with Morgana on the front and with what looked like a watermarked design of naked men curled in various positions over the rest of it.

I can't remember much more than that but I know it was part of a series and I really quite fancy getting the rest of the books to read and see if they're any cop because although this was a highly unusual book, I rather enjoyed it for the most part.

Can anyone help with the title or author? I'm sure I'd know straight away if someone said the right one.