Looking for two books...

You know when you have read so many books that you just can't remember what they were called or who wrote them? I'm sure you do :D If anyone could help with either of these books it would be much appreciated.

Book One: It is a fantasy novel based in a society run by women. These women have magical powers and when they come of age they are required to use these powers in a battle arena against a male slave. This is because the queen fears being taken over by someone with stronger magic. She finds one such girl and sends her off on an impossible mission. Don't remember much about the rest only that one of her traveling companions would change gender after any intimate relations.

Book Two: This book is a teen novel and similar to the movie Red Dawn. 4 (I think) high school aged kids are hanging out in the woods (camping I think) only to return to their small town to discover it's been over run by a military operation. The story is about them fighting back. Sorry, I can't remember any more details then this.

Thank you in advance!

Book Two sounds a bit like Tomorrow When the War Began, by John Marsden. :D I've only read it once, so details are hazy, but I think there were more kids. Kylie loves these books, so she'll probably know!

Yes, I think Mia is right. That sounds exactly like Tomorrow, When the War Began (I think some editions are just called When the War Began). There were about 6 kids that went camping. It's actually part of a series of 10 books that all brilliant. They just get better and better as they go along. :D