'The Shadow of the Wind' Carlos Ruiz Zaf

sirinrob

The premise of this very promising - a library of forgotten books and the mystery surrounding the book selected by Daniel. By about 150 pages into the novel I was disillusioned. I had already guessed about the book-burner's identity and felt worn down by the purple prose. The florid descriptions detracted from the story. As to the story it read like a script for a film-noir, a not particularly good one at that. The characters I found 2 dimensional.

I feel this a overrated, overblown work and I'm not reading the sequels

sorry Frankie if I have upset you, but I'm being honest in my opinion. I dont like the novel, you do. You cant please everybody all the time.

You're right of course, and you haven't upset me personally, I just feel sad for the book :D

Hmm - this was going to be my Spain book (I already have it but I've been putting it off for ages) so I might have to rethink.

This book gets 10/10 and 5/5 for me and it's on my top 5 reads ever and I would highly recommend you and everybody else who likes books and mystery to read the book. Like sirinrob said, it's not for everyone but ... Well what can I say, I love the book.

Bought this not long ago in Smiths, just on impulse I picked it up. Seems like mixed reviews with the majority liking it. I'm thinking it'll stay high up on TBR for the time being.

I read it recently and really loved it. I'm kind of surprised by how much some people dislike it. I've read unfavourable comparisons to Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who some people say does the same thing but much better. I wouldn't know as I haven't read anything by Marquez. I know that I found the story gripping and enjoyable from beginning to end. I leant the book to a friend (something I rarely do) and she loved it even more than I did. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! I'm quite surprised to hear that you didn't enjoy this book. Of course that's why there are so many books out there, because everyone has different tastes. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind. In fact, it is one of my favorite books. It kept me engrossed the whole time I read it, even though it did start off a little slow for me. But I kept on reading and I'm very glad that I did. It was well worth it!! Great book!!

Wow! I'm quite surprised to hear that you didn't enjoy this book. Of course that's why there are so many books out there, because everyone has different tastes. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind. In fact, it is one of my favorite books. It kept me engrossed the whole time I read it, even though it did start off a little slow for me. But I kept on reading and I'm very glad that I did. It was well worth it!! Great book!!

Glad you liked it so much Emily, I pretty much agree with you on everything you said. Also, I remembered that Shadow of the Wind is one of the books that made me cry massive amounts. I nearly dehydrated.

I was watching an interview with Carlos on the book programme on more 4 last night and he said he has no plans to ever make shadow of the wind or the angel game into films although he has been approached and asked many times. He thinks novels are different to screenplays, not everything can be translated from novel to film so his books will stay as novels!

Thats good to hear, at least there will be no dissapointment like many other books to films have caused.

Thats good to hear, at least there will be no dissapointment like many other books to films have caused.

I whole-heartedly agree. If the movies were made I'd never want to go and see them because Shadow of the Wind as a book is something that can't be translated into a novel, in my mind at least.

I have heard such good things about this book and was reminded about it on last night's book club show on More 4. Will have to add it to my ever expanding reading list

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I read this recently and have mixed thoughts on it.

I liked the first third or so of it, however I then thought it rambled on excessively in parts, but came together again as it neared the end.

I don't regret reading it but would be hesitant about recommending it to someone :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Shadow of the Wind was recommended to me by a person whose taste I pretty much can rely on. She almost forced me to read the book, I was slightly hesitant at first because I tend to have doubts about books that get so much praising as this one has got. And especially from people who usually enjoy easy reads and look only for entertainment in the books they read. I, then, usually want some more, something that makes me think, gives me some new information, really moves me and so on.

I'd categorize Shadow of the Wind as pure entertainment, but it sure was damn good entertainment. I especially love Zaf