Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

Nice going, pontalba :)!

I'm going to try and change some of my eating habits too. I plan to eat a bit less carbohydrates and more (cold) vegetables, among other things. We've bought more vegetables than usually, so I look forward to see how I get on. Hopefully it will help me :).

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, both. :)  Today is strict, strict, and more strict!  Even though I am longing for a meatball po-boy.  lol  (meatball on french bread)  :hide:  

Athena, sounds sensible.....complex carbs are fine, it's the refined, simple ones that are not good for a person.

I'll tell you, I feel better, many aches and pains of the joints etc are disappearing.  I know that is the fallout of cutting sugar from my diet.  A good fallout!!

I'm late to this thread, so I may be repeating hat has already been said, but I have tried loads of weight-loss methods (having been put on diets by my mum from the age of 13 - not good!) and the one that has worked best for me is very low-carb - I lost 2 stone in a year, but even better, I have kept it off.  Of course, I miss bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc, but the results have been amazing and I find it easy to stick to.  I can still eat cheese and eggs etc, and I am more than happy to eat tons of veggies with my meat.  I think the most important thing to try and do is CHANGE your diet, rather than go on a diet - and to remember that the occasional treat won;t kill you!

There was a really good article in a recent Time magazine about how bad sugar actually is for humans, especially in the amounts we consume it. It certainly made interesting reading.

It's true, sugar is one of the worst things we can eat.  Is this the article?  http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/14/how-sweet-can-become-toxic/

From the article:

That’s the message that nutrition experts have been trying to convey to the sugar-loving American public — that sugar can not only contribute to overweight and obesity, but also drive physiological changes that can compromise health and even shorten lives.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/14/how-sweet-can-become-toxic/#ixzz2f0Wm4D64

I'm late to this thread, so I may be repeating hat has already been said, but I have tried loads of weight-loss methods (having been put on diets by my mum from the age of 13 - not good!) and the one that has worked best for me is very low-carb - I lost 2 stone in a year, but even better, I have kept it off.  Of course, I miss bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc, but the results have been amazing and I find it easy to stick to.  I can still eat cheese and eggs etc, and I am more than happy to eat tons of veggies with my meat.  I think the most important thing to try and do is CHANGE your diet, rather than go on a diet - and to remember that the occasional treat won;t kill you!

Absolutely, I agree.  Low carb is the way to go. 

And, congratulations on your weight loss, and the other hard part.......keeping it off! :)

Edited by pontalba

It's true, sugar is one of the worst things we can eat.  Is this the article?  http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/14/how-sweet-can-become-toxic/

That looks like a shorter version of it but essentially, yes. The longer version goes on to explain that sugar is actually very addictive as well which makes consuming less of it a difficult thing to achieve.

Have you ever heard about the Zone diet, created by Doctor Barry Sears? I read something about it during my search of an "antidote" to my Hyperinsulinemia. Th diet seems to have some good points, but I'm not too sure. I was wandering if anyone have ever tried it or heard about it.

Have you ever heard about the Zone diet, created by Doctor Barry Sears? I read something about it during my search of an "antidote" to my Hyperinsulinemia. Th diet seems to have some good points, but I'm not too sure. I was wandering if anyone have ever tried it or heard about it.

It's been a long time, but yes, I've heard of it, even bought the book way back when.  I didn't implement it however and don't remember that much about it.  Did you try it?

That looks like a shorter version of it but essentially, yes. The longer version goes on to explain that sugar is actually very addictive as well which makes consuming less of it a difficult thing to achieve.

Ok, thanks.  It is true, sugar is addictive. 

I used to take quite a lot of sugar in my tea and coffee, but over a few years slowly decreased the amounts.  Now I take tea and coffee black.  I rarely drink a soda, the worst offender IMO.  Trouble is, that blasted corn syrup is hidden in so many products that one wouldn't even expect it to be.  Most annoying.  That is really one of the reasons I like the Atkins Diet, it makes me examine labels far more closely and therefore avoid many of those things.  You can eat veggies on atkins, and a balanced meal.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now closely examining how many calories, fat, fiber, etc. is in the things I eat and try to keep the contents what they should be. Today I haven't eaten a lot of calories, which is good. There's this Dutch health organisation, that has data of many different food items sold in the Netherlands. They also have developed an app for phones, so other than using the website you can also use the app on your phone (if you have iOs or Android). So I look forward to see how it goes on a longer amount of time, I only downloaded this app today (my mum heard about it from a collegue, she works at a health organisation, advising other organisations about health problems). I had a bit of cheese for lunch today, that wasn't very healthy. Apparently though tomatos are very good to eat and raw mushrooms are low in calories. I hope I'll lose some weight by eating healthy things :).

EDIT: I should point out I lost about 1 kg last week ^_^, but I haven't measured myself in the past few days so I'm not sure how it's going at the moment.

Edited by Athena

It's true, no matter what diet one implements, in the end, it's the calories that count.  The low carb diet we are on is good, but calories count as well.  The low carb is just a gimmicky way to get around some of it and eat particular items. 

Congratulations on the loss, and changes you are making Gaia. :) 

We've been on this (Atkins) diet about a month and have both lost about 10 pounds.   It's a bit up and down, depending, but that's it. 

Both of our backs went out, and I haven't been able to do the treadmill for a few days, but was up to 35 minutes.  For me, that's good. 

I should be able to get back to it in a day or two. 

Thanks, I went to the chiropractor yesterday, and kept ice on my back the whole time driving/riding yesterday.  The ice makes a huge difference.  Cuts the inflammation, thus the pain.

Where did you go , was it a fairly long trip.

You were right though on losing weight. Calories and exercise is what counts. Diets are ok but in the long run it is calories and exercise.

Where did you go , was it a fairly long trip.

You were right though on losing weight. Calories and exercise is what counts. Diets are ok but in the long run it is calories and exercise.

We drove down to New Orleans, but then across the Ms. River to Algiers Point.  It is about a 130 mile round trip.  We went the Bridge route, IOW, the Causeway Bridge (as always to N.O., but then drove through N.O. to cross the Ms. River at the Crescent City Connection.  Through a bunch of ever decreasing in size streets to Algiers Point.  It's the highest point on the "West Bank" of the river.  I put west in quotes, because it is actually south of the river, but is the general west bank. heh  Since Algiers Point is directly across from the French Quarter, we decided not to retrace out steps, and took the Algiers Ferry.

All of this for a not so hot Estate Sale.  :blush2:   But it was a great ride, and I'd never been to AP before.  In fact, I've hardly ever been to the West Bank......it's like another world over there, and the natives don't mix well.  lol  Of course we stopped off for lunch and a bit of shopping.....

Have you ever been to New Orleans, muggle?

We drove down to New Orleans, but then across the Ms. River to Algiers Point.  It is about a 130 mile round trip.  We went the Bridge route, IOW, the Causeway Bridge (as always to N.O., but then drove through N.O. to cross the Ms. River at the Crescent City Connection.  Through a bunch of ever decreasing in size streets to Algiers Point.  It's the highest point on the "West Bank" of the river.  I put west in quotes, because it is actually south of the river, but is the general west bank. heh  Since Algiers Point is directly across from the French Quarter, we decided not to retrace out steps, and took the Algiers Ferry.

All of this for a not so hot Estate Sale.  :blush2:   But it was a great ride, and I'd never been to AP before.  In fact, I've hardly ever been to the West Bank......it's like another world over there, and the natives don't mix well.  lol  Of course we stopped off for lunch and a bit of shopping.....

Have you ever been to New Orleans, muggle?

No, but I would love to make the trip and visit. My wife isn't keen on N.O type food. I did make a trip to Morgan City (business) many, many years ago when we were living in Beaumont, TX and have visited Shreveport, Baton Rouge, etc.

I went to an oil show once long ago in Baton Rouge that featured Red Adair.

Edited by muggle not

Oh boy, I wish I'd seen Adair, I remember when he was big doings. 

New Orleans has all sorts of food, not just spicy food.  I can't eat really spicy food, some I'd like to, but my tummy doesn't like it at all. 

If you do come down, be sure to let us know.  Charles and I would love to meet Mr. and Mrs. Muggle. :)